Gibson Brands Forums

Angus and his SGs

Rabs

I was thinking about it just now...

Ive NEVER seen Angus with anything but an SG... Is he the ONLY guitar player in the world who doesn't play any other types of guitars? I cant think of a single other player who has only stuck to one type of guitar.. Even Hendrix played a few Gibsons.

Can anyone think of any other long time players who only play one type of guitar?

(actually thinking about it ive never see Derek Trucks play anything else either but hes still young (not Angus Young :P))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkPI5i8qTcs

I think his brother Malcom sticks pretty closely to his Gretsch as well. I remember reading an article in the 80s where some band had bought a bunch of ADA MP-1 preamps (remember those?) off of AC/DC. The company reps had given them to the band and they were just "not interested in trying anything new." [biggrin]

I think his brother Malcom sticks pretty closely to his Gretsch as well. I remember reading an article in the 80s where some band had bought a bunch of ADA MP-1 preamps (remember those?) off of AC/DC. The company reps had given them to the band and they were just "not interested in trying anything new." [biggrin]

Malcolm also had a stint with an LS6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4yZ2IG5RHU

In the early days he did play the es 335

He tried Les paul but found it to heavy for his live act. Some songs was original played with Les Paul on High Voltage, but was replaced with sg tracks.

Cool pic.. not sure ive see that but now you mention it I do remember reading that... cheers [thumbup]

I think most players associated with a particular instrument have at some point played something else. Sometimes this happens at sit-in type situations - or sometimes because there is a problem with the main instrument. I'm sure one could find pics of Brian Setzer playing something besides a Gretsch. Larry Carlton has occasionally played something besides a 335. Posting a pic of Jimi with a Les Paul won't change the fact that he is forever associated with the Stratocaster - the guitar he obviously preferred.

Ohh I have thought of another.. Brain May :)

During the Jazz tour, Brian May played after having started the song with a six string Ovation, a black Fender Telecaster when performing Crazy Little Thing Called Love. I think he did this on the studio recording, too.

During the Jazz tour, Brian May played after having started the song with a six string Ovation, a black Fender Telecaster when performing Crazy Little Thing Called Love. I think he did this on the studio recording, too.

hmmm, interesting.... didn't know that Cheers :)

I think most players associated with a particular instrument have at some point played something else. Sometimes this happens at sit-in type situations - or sometimes because there is a problem with the main instrument. I'm sure one could find pics of Brian Setzer playing something besides a Gretsch. Larry Carlton has occasionally played something besides a 335. Posting a pic of Jimi with a Les Paul won't change the fact that he is forever associated with the Stratocaster - the guitar he obviously preferred.

That's the thing.. apart from the picture above and the clip of him playing with the Stones (which was probably one of Keef's guitars).. As far as I know Angus when on stage and playing in the studio(as far as I know) ALWAYS uses an SG.

Jimi liked his Flying V too :) Sadly neither him or SRV lived long enough so will always be remembered with those guitars.. BUT I wonder if still alive today what they would be playing and im sure we'd have seen them playing other stuff.. Sadly we will never know [crying]

Angus.. ALWAYS an SG :)

BB King .. YES Lucille

What about Les Paul? :-k

I've never seen a pic of Mike Stern playing anything but a Tele style or Billy Zoom (of X) playing anything but a Gretsch. And while Brian Setzer had a brief flirtation with a strat hybrid looking thing he's been a die hard Gretsch guy. That said the pics may be out there to prove otherwise!

I was thinking about it just now...

Ive NEVER seen Angus with anything but an SG... Is he the ONLY guitar player in the world who doesn't play any other types of guitars? I cant think of a single other player who has only stuck to one type of guitar.. Even Hendrix played a few Gibsons.

Can anyone think of any other long time players who only play one type of guitar?

(actually thinking about it ive never see Derek Trucks play anything else either but hes still young (not Angus Young :P))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkPI5i8qTcs

Here's Derek Trucks pictured playing an ES-335 while in concert with the Allman Brothers Band:

DerekTrucks_with_the_ABB_2009.jpg

When he was young, for weight and in order to get a signature guitar once ;) , Derek Trucks specialized on SGs:

acbh.jpg

Now he's a tall and strong man, has his signature SG, and so he can play what he likes: :P

hixz.jpg

rmsj.jpg

71kr.jpg

hczr.jpg

Don't believe that? Look at Joe Bonamassa: [biggrin]

lf5y.jpg

Sadly no one made a signature guitar for me up to now, and so I think I already have messed up with it due to lack of specialization... :unsure: :o [biggrin][lol]

Archived