Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J200 strings?

Sitedrifter

We all know (yeah I shouted it from the roof tops) I am a new owner of a J200 VS. The 5* gave me 2 sets of Gibson Masterbuilt lights with the purchase (I normally use Dadarrio which I thinks makes Gibson strings). As I was looking around tonight (always have GAS) I saw Gibson strings specifically for the J200. I read the only difference is the string ends are silk wrapped. My question is, what is the purpose of silk wrapping the string ends?

I`ve tried the Masterbilt strings, D`Addario EJ-16s and the J-200s, and of the three I prefer D`Addario, or more to the point my J-200 and J-100 Xtra do. In fact the J-200 strings I had were 13`s and they didn`t fit in the bridge without the pins being stuck in, due to the purple silk wrapping!!

I have since tried a set of 12`s which did fit, but I didn`t like them as much as the D`Addario`s, they seemed a little brittle sounding, however I found a home for those on my 1980 Daion 78 Heritage which does like them. I think the wrapping is supposed to even out the tonal response, but I`m not sure it works, certainly not noticably.

Steve.

AFAIK the silk wrapping at the ball end of some string sets is an extra measure of protection against damage to the pins, pin holes and bridge plate.

Here's a bit from the Martin site -

BALL END

This is the business end of an acoustic guitar string, where the metal meets the wood - the part of the guitar string that comes into direct contact with your guitar's bridge plate and end pins. This means that this is the part of the string that pull with 100+ lbs of string tension against the wood of your guitar. We've created strings with silk-wrapped ball ends to help protect your vintage, boutique, or favorite guitar, available in our Marquis line.

• 2 weeks later...

Direct quote from Gibson's website.

"As a finishing touch, the ends of the J-200 strings are silk-wrapped to reduce saddle wear and eliminate sympathetic overtones."

I am not sure how it protects the saddle, maybe it's a typo and they mean the bridge plate?

Archived