Gibson Brands Forums

2009 ES-345 or 1977 ES-345

powerwagonjohn

As I had mentioned in another thread I am looking at a new 2009 ES-345 at a Gibson dealer whom I know and have bought from before. There is a 1975-77 ES-345 available locally which I am going to try and look at this weekend. I have to decide new 2009 with warranty or vintage 75-77. I am not worried about the reputation of the late 70's guitars as I will try it out first but they are quite different guitars. Any comments or insights as to the differences?

Thanks John

A guitar from that period will likely have a volute and a very skinny neck, which are enough for me to avoid them even

if there were no other differences. My experience with '70's guitars, which is actually quite extensive, is that in general they were more poorly made than instruments made since the early 1990s, and were more likely to be out of spec in body or f-hole shape too.

That being said, I gigged extensively with a '71 ES-355 throughout the '70's; however I was really glad to replace it with an '83 one that had a 1 & 11/16" nut width (the '71 was 1 & 9/16"") and even happier to replace that one with an '85 that had no volute.

As a disclaimer I must add that I have never played a 2009 ES-345 (or any ES-345 for that matter) and I might be completely wrong as to which would be better, although I don't think so.

Danny W.

The difficulty is they're going to be two completely different guitars. The 2009 is going to be much closer to the classic ES-345 spec, and will doubtless be a lovely guitar. The '77 will be much quirkier: the body and headstock shapes are different, the neck a three piece Maple laminate, and the neck profile is significantly different to the current profiles used on ES guitars.

Many will tell you the '70s examples are terrible and to be avoided, but they do have their own personality. I love my '79 ES-355 quirks and all, and have not played a modern ES-355 I would take in its place. It all comes down to what you're looking for, and the individual guitars.

Do you have the opportunity to play both before committing?

IF that was MY choice, I'd go for the 2009! '70's "Norlin Era" Gibson's are more of a

"crap shoot," compared to the later versions. That's not saying the one you're looking

at will be one of the "bad" one's, at all. And, if you have the opportunity, to play both,

you can, obviously, make a better informed decision, in that regard. However, if you don't

have that option, I'd go for the 2009. [thumbup][biggrin]

Good Luck, though, whatever you decide!

CB

My advice is that I'd look at each guitar on their merits. Whilst I've heard a lot about how poor the gibson guitars are that were made in the Norlin period, there are exceptions.

I have a great '74 Les Paul Custom 20th anniversary which I gigged with for a number of years. I still own it and it's still great. Although it's bloody heavy. Great neck , great sound. Good luck.

My advice is that I'd look at each guitar on their merits. Whilst I've heard a lot about how poor the gibson guitars are that were made in the Norlin period, there are exceptions.

I have a great '74 Les Paul Custom 20th anniversary which I gigged with for a number of years. I still own it and it's still great. Although it's bloody heavy. Great neck , great sound. Good luck.

Ditto, re my 25 / 50.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at both, for sure. I'll be surprised of the '77 beats the '09. I've had ES-335/45/55 guitars from the years 1967, 68, 72, 79 and 2011. The 2011 guitar was the best sounding and feeling instrument of all of them, and that's what I have now.

this is simply impossible. Vintage instruments ALWAYS sound better than new guitars. [biggrin]

this is simply impossible. Vintage instruments ALWAYS sound better than new guitars. [biggrin]

I was honestly surprised. Having hung around so many vintage guitar online discussion forums over the years, I didn't trust the newer electric guitars as much - certainly not with Gibson, anyway. I still think vintage guitars are nice, but I have no desire to obtain one any more. :)

• 3 months later...

As I had mentioned in another thread I am looking at a new 2009 ES-345 at a Gibson dealer whom I know and have bought from before. There is a 1975-77 ES-345 available locally which I am going to try and look at this weekend. I have to decide new 2009 with warranty or vintage 75-77. I am not worried about the reputation of the late 70's guitars as I will try it out first but they are quite different guitars. Any comments or insights as to the differences?

Thanks John

Did you ever make the comparison? I'm curious to hear reviews of vintage and reissue 345s.

Archived