Gibson Brands Forums

Installed a new Colosi saddle

Sitedrifter

I purchased a new saddle from Bob Colosi because on inspection of the OEM TUSQ on my J200, it was heavily grooved. The saddle (bone) came yesterday so this am I headed out and got some sand paper (120 and 400 grit) and already had my ruler and digital caliper all ready. I took the old TUSQ out and I noticed it rocked pretty good in the saddle. I used it for measurements since the action on the Low and High E strings were 3/32 and 2/32 respectfully. Too the saddle to sand paper on 2 edges to where the length was perfect and made sure to round the ends. The thickness of the bone saddle was almost perfect and I just took about 3 thousands off. I then polished the saddle with Meguairs #7 glaze which worked very well and hell, I had it in the garage already cause i use it on my vehicles. The new bone saddle fits in the bridge very nicely. The new action is 8/64 on the low E and 3/32 on the high E due to the new saddle not being notched like the old one which allowed some string drop coupled with a the new bone being a few thousands taller then the TUSQ. I personally do not feel a difference in the current action as compared to the action before the new saddle so that is a good thing [thumbup] . I put new strings on and tuned her up. I am now enjoying a quality saddle with quality strings and an even better tone then I had yesterday.

Check out the pictorial.

1.jpg

3-saddle-comparison-flat.jpg

All finished

8-bone-saddle-inserted.jpg

7-bone-saddle-inserted.jpg

8-strings.jpg

9-side-string-view.jpg

low-e.jpg

Good job SD

your action has risen a full 1/32"... if you don't mind that all ok... but most would call 4/32" a pretty high action...

you easily have enough saddle to lower it 1/32" back to where it was....

personally I would do this...as you have so much break angle on that saddle now..it's almost overkill..... to much pressure on the saddle can cause problems of its own

have a look at this from frets.com...all about saddles

http://www.frets.com...e/saddle01.html

it will show you a very easy way to lower your saddle 1/32"

good luck

EDIT

sorry first link is good info on height of saddles.. this link shows easy way to measure and lower

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/LowerAction/loweraction01.html

I like it ! 8/64ths would indeed be a smidge high for me at 12, but sounds like a successful surgery to me !

I actually went back in and took another .011 off. [scared] (Thank goodness for digital calipers) Closer to 7/64 now. I am leaving it that way and may change it next string change if need be. But the way it looks and sounds and feels, there should be no need for it. [-o<

The ramps on the top photo look a little more rough than the bottom.

The bottom bridge looks slightly better finished.

Also, thanks to the OP for those photos, they were really well taken and illustrated your project well.

msp_thumbup.gif

what is your take on the differences in the pin holes between these two bridges, both from a J200 model?

withoutstrings.jpg

1.jpg

The 1st bridge is from the J200 I sent back to the retailer due to the pins being misaligned. (although members said was correct, I did not think so)

The 2nd bridge is from my current J200 VS. I think the bridge in the 2nd picture is what a new bridge should look like versus the 1st bridge which looks a little tattered on the ramps and holes themselves. Maybe from the CNC machine was out of whack, the bridge finisher was tired or it is supposed to be like that, it's hand made. Here comes my disclaimer: "I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL GUITAR TECH OR LUTHIER." [flapper]

I like the 2nd bridge for a new guitar much much better [thumbup]

Archived