Gibson Brands Forums

Koan for us who like a wee dram

Del Nilppeznaf

A Buddha

In Tokyo in the Meiji era there lived two prominent teachers of opposite characteristics. One, Unsho, an instructor in Shingon, kept Buddha's precepts scrupulously. He never drank intoxicants, nor did he eat after eleven o'clock in the morning. The other teacher, Tanzan, a professor of philosophy at the Imperial University, never observed the precepts. Whenever he felt like eating, he ate, and when he felt like sleeping in the daytime he slept.

One day Unsho visited Tanzan, who was drinking wine at the time, not even a drop of which is suppposed to touch the tongue of a Buddhist.

"Hello, brother," Tanzan greeted him. "Won't you have a drink?"

"I never drink!" exclaimed Unsho solemnly.

"One who does not drink is not even human," said Tanzan.

"Do you mean to call me inhuman just because I do not indulge inintoxicating liquids!" exclaimed Unsho in anger. "Then if I am not human, what am I?"

"A Buddha," answered Tanzan.

"And then it all was wrapped in clear plastic", (as FB stated last time we went to China -)

Don't have to repeat that I normally really dig and always dug these oriental sayings - not least for their flirting with and teachings of the full void.

But your choices, splendid Del - are simply one bamboo-leaf to thin for me.

Explanation simple : You are obviously on a further level than E-minor7

Any particular collections of sayings you are pulling these from, Del?

To be frank, I have a sneaky feeling we are used as some kind of test-audience for Dels own works out in this genre.

.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . eusa_whistle.gif

Archived