Gibson Brands Forums

Some Amp Advice please

D28boy

I currently have a valve powered Cornford Roadhouse 50 combo which is a very nice "boutique" English made bit of kit. Currently use a KorgAX3000G with it. Only problem is it's a right bxstard to hump around and therefore I'm thinking of switching to an amp and cab instead.

I'm playing classic rock & blues stuff and have to say I'm well out of the loop in terms of what kit is best etc.

What's peoples opinions on the best bit of ( secondhand probably) reliable and awesome sounding amplification to try out. I'd probably stick 50 watts output and with a 2 x 12 cab again for ease of shifting around.

well--- if I was you, I would definitely take a peek at the Fender Mustang amps (yes they are modelers, I wasn't a fan of the modelers TBH, but one test drive on one of these, and my mind was swayed for ever). These are really great amps!

I have a Mustang III that I've had for about 1.5 years now. my band mate liked mine so much, he went out and bought one... he just got it last week, he's in heaven. (we're not kids, looking to SHRED, my bud is in his 60s, I'm 56..)

we've both been playing for what seems like forever,, And tons of gear has come and gone.. At the moment I also have three tube combos, and a pedal bard that weighs almost as much.. a b*tch to move, but I do use them on the "big gigs" I bought this amp for exact same reason you're talking about. One the occasions when I don't need that kind of air moving devices, I'd like to have something more portable and that sounded good. And does this fit the bill? Oh ya.. ALL day long. It's great to just be able to drop that 1x12 combo down, hook up the foot switches to control sounds and effects and plug in yer axe, and GO.

sounds really good. 100 Watts, plenty of "umph".. Fender also makes a Mustang IV which is a 150w 2x12 combo... (Sweetwater is blowing out the V1 models for 299.. I'm so tempted) they are THAT good where I would consider having two...

Probably the best of all the modelers on the market. (I've had Line 6 and Vox amps,, the Mustangs {IMHO} KILL them. I think Fender got it right with this for the most part.)

At least check them out..

/Ray

Guest Farnsbarns

What's yer budget? I'm just getting in to amp building after a history in industrial electronics, I'm also just "down the road" in south London. It'd be cool to design a circuit to order. I'd do it at costs right now.

Many options available depending on desired tone/response requirements...

Personal favourites Laney do a nice LH50 head and matching 2x12 cab

There are Marshalls in that power range too

And for portability hybrids can be robust and sound pretty good...(every rehearsal studio I've used has them)

A wildcard would be 2 Roland Cube80's from stereo outs of the Korg...lightweight and very capable of hi-gain joyfulness... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

well--- if I was you, I would definitely take a peek at the Fender Mustang amps (yes they are modelers, I wasn't a fan of the modelers TBH, but one test drive on one of these, and my mind was swayed for ever). These are really great amps!

I have a Mustang III that I've had for about 1.5 years now. my band mate liked mine so much, he went out and bought one... he just got it last week, he's in heaven. (we're not kids, looking to SHRED, my bud is in his 60s, I'm 56..)

we've both been playing for what seems like forever,, And tons of gear has come and gone.. At the moment I also have three tube combos, and a pedal bard that weighs almost as much.. a b*tch to move, but I do use them on the "big gigs" I bought this amp for exact same reason you're talking about. One the occasions when I don't need that kind of air moving devices, I'd like to have something more portable and that sounded good. And does this fit the bill? Oh ya.. ALL day long. It's great to just be able to drop that 1x12 combo down, hook up the foot switches to control sounds and effects and plug in yer axe, and GO.

sounds really good. 100 Watts, plenty of "umph".. Fender also makes a Mustang IV which is a 150w 2x12 combo... (Sweetwater is blowing out the V1 models for 299.. I'm so tempted) they are THAT good where I would consider having two...

Probably the best of all the modelers on the market. (I've had Line 6 and Vox amps,, the Mustangs {IMHO} KILL them. I think Fender got it right with this for the most part.)

At least check them out..

/Ray

Confused I have a 2 x 12 combo now want a head and a 2 x 12 cab instead [confused]

What's yer budget? I'm just getting in to amp building after a history in industrial electronics, I'm also just "down the road" in south London. It'd be cool to design a circuit to order. I'd do it at costs right now.

I followed your thread on the build recently....Im not sure what my budget is really I just want something much like I have now but as a separate head plus cab. At the moment I let my fx do all the crunch stuff but this could all change with the right amp. I suppose I need some advice really and to try out some stuff.

I'm going to suggest something completely left field, so run with me.

Engl Thunder 50 head and 2x12 cab. It's a vintage voiced amp, not running huge amounts of gain, and it has some SWEET tones. Granted, it could do with a dedicated volume knob for the clean channel (the clean is the master volume also), but with a little tweeking it sounds beautiful.

Don't be confused! Just giving you something else to think about.

Thanx I appreciate your response but I wasn't asking for advice on a new combo (which is solid state as well) but for pointers on an head & cab combination.

50 watt(ish) head? Easy.

Marshall JTM, model 1987, or JMP

or

Fender Bassman

All of the above have nice warm tones (particularly since they aren't loaded with printed circuit boards) and they each handle crunch boxes very well.

While we're talking amps ... what about Peavey Classics? I've never played one, but I see them pop up on CL from time to time. Never terribly close though ...

Are these good enough to drive 3-4 hours round trip to check out?

I love my Orange AD30HTC head. Its 30 watts, but you get to drive it more than 50. Or an Orange 50 head... Check out Avatar Speakers website, great different cabinet designs and sizes. Contemporary 2x12 cab is same dimensions as Orange 2x12. Thats what I have. Or test drive a Marshall DSL50 head.

While we're talking amps ... what about Peavey Classics? I've never played one, but I see them pop up on CL from time to time. Never terribly close though ...

Are these good enough to drive 3-4 hours round trip to check out?

I love the Classic's. I had a Classic 50 with a 4X10 cab (photo below). If you ever see a Classic 20, get it. They're really cool little amps, and cheap!

5307.jpg

I love the Classic's. I had a Classic 50 with a 4X10 cab (photo below). If you ever see a Classic 20, get it. They're really cool little amps, and cheap!

5307.jpg

Great rig. Peavey Classic series are good amps... road worthy as well

50 watt(ish) head? Easy.

Marshall JTM, model 1987, or JMP

or

Fender Bassman

All of the above have nice warm tones (particularly since they aren't loaded with printed circuit boards) and they each handle crunch boxes very well.

Is that the 1987x Surfpup...the re-issue? If so that has no master on it I believe..though I suppose with fx that's no issue really. I understand it's a great amp though a bit pricey>

Is that the 1987x Surfpup...the re-issue? If so that has no master on it I believe..though I suppose with fx that's no issue really. I understand it's a great amp though a bit pricey>

Yeah, all good amps are pricey - especially 50 watt tube amps - that's a lot of glass and iron. I assumed since you were playing a Cornford already, expense wouldn't be a big issue. [biggrin]

Okay, this isn't a "brand or model" thing, but rather a bit of overview on amps as a whole.

1. What are you playing and how loud in what kinds of venues?

2. Do you have a good PA for the band(s) you play in.

Here's to me the bottom line. Get the amp that has a sound you like at a weight you like but consider why you want what you think you want. Been there, done that, blew it just like everybody else who's a weekend warrior type.

Even the Bassman is not exactly a light amp head. I have one. Add the "huge suitcase" cab I have for mine and it ain't something I wanna carry around any more than the 90-pound 120-watt tube combo. So I don't.

A band with a good PA can get around that by using smaller amps and, depending on the model, plug in the amp or mike to the PA after any "effects" are in the amp and can get out. Heck, on that basis a 5-watt tube amp can do quite well, or a Fender Mustang III modeler or - doggone nearly anything.

Thing is to me not whether the amp will blow your pants off if placed behind you on the floor or even on a stand, but whether the audience hears anything that you think you're playing and sounding like.

Yeah, I know. It seems rock and country pickers want the power in their own hands. Been there, done that. In retrospect a better choice of PA equipment would have deafened even outdoor audiences, let alone saloon audiences of any size, and lighter than a big amp. That's why I have two tube amps, one combo and one head/cab, that stay home while a little inexpensive solid state AE amp does just about anything with where/how I play, whether a 500-seat theater or a small saloon - "old" rock, blues, country, cowboy - fingerstyle jazz...

Oddly I've never had anybody tell me my tone was bad or that the guitar was muddy or that they couldn't hear me if I placed the amp appropriately either for the venue, or plugged into the board.

But then again, heck, maybe I'm just an old guy who no longer enjoys schlepping big stuff. Oddly some of today's powered speakers are awfully light for power and can work in even the biggest venues to deafen audiences...

m

Yeah, all good amps are pricey - especially 50 watt tube amps - that's a lot of glass and iron. I assumed since you were playing a Cornford already, expense wouldn't be a big issue. [biggrin]

You know what they say about people who assume,,,, [blush] No I'm not in the big budget division I got a great deal on Fleabay with the Cornford.... £300 in as new condition !

Archived