Gibson Brands Forums

B string pickup pole not picking

noskap

I bought an Epiphone Explorer GT back in 2011. Beautiful guitar, love it to bits.

But as of recently the Pickup pole under the B string (standard tuning) isn't picking up anymore.

Every other string comes through fine and strong but strumming the B gives nothing. The loudest sound I get is the vibration of all the other strings from strumming the B.

What do I do?

I bought an Epiphone Explorer GT back in 2011. Beautiful guitar, love it to bits.

But as of recently the Pickup pole under the B string (standard tuning) isn't picking up anymore.

Every other string comes through fine and strong but strumming the B gives nothing. The loudest sound I get is the vibration of all the other strings from strumming the B.

What do I do?

Did you try raising up the pole piece and/or pickup?

Does the B string sound OK acoustically when the guitar is not plugged into the amp?

A pickup is a pretty simple device and if it works on the other strings then the wire coil is fine and the issue should be fixable. Is the pole piece still there?

There's no moving parts in a PU, nothing to break or wear out. I've never heard of one pole piece not working; I didn't think it was possible. They either all owrk or none of them do. All 6 pole pieces are positioned above a single bar magnet; one pole piece can't be skipped.

Your best bet is to ask the members on the Seymour Duncan forum.

They might have used an improper material for the B strings at the manufacturer temporarily, having very little magnetic susceptibility. Try a string of different brand and/or gauge and check out if that works.

Pickups with one common winding for all strings per coil, bar magnets and pole pieces lacking transducing just one string are practically impossible. A faulty string is the most probable cause.

Does the B string sound OK acoustically when the guitar is not plugged into the amp?

A pickup is a pretty simple device and if it works on the other strings then the wire coil is fine and the issue should be fixable. Is the pole piece still there?

Yeah it sounds perfect as. Yeah all the poles are there, it's all stock and as its been since I got the guitar.

There's no moving parts in a PU, nothing to break or wear out. I've never heard of one pole piece not working; I didn't think it was possible. They either all owrk or none of them do. All 6 pole pieces are positioned above a single bar magnet; one pole piece can't be skipped.

Your best bet is to ask the members on the Seymour Duncan forum.

Strange. Now I'm really worried.

Is this true for both the bridge and neck pickups?

It could be that you need to change strings. Perhaps your string is just dead.

Yeah both pickups pick nothing at all. Should I unstring the B and string my E or something just to check that pole?

Something is wrong with that string. You need a new B string, or if it's been a while, a new set.

Just switched strings with my G and yeah its picking up.

Also just noticed my e isn't picking up either. Looks like I need new strings.

Thanks alot for all your help. Really appreciate it

yep...what Gunner said !

Archived