Gibson Brands Forums

what to do what to do

iommysg

Hey everyone,

i have a crisis i dropped my beloved SG onto hardwood floor! it took a hefty sized chunk out of the body as it landed on the corner now i sand it down to curve the body similar to the way it curves on the top (if that makes sence) or do i try and use wood filler and just sand that down to give a sharp edge?

Hey everyone,

i have a crisis i dropped my beloved SG onto hardwood floor! it took a hefty sized chunk out of the body as it landed on the corner now i sand it down to curve the body similar to the way it curves on the top (if that makes sence) or do i try and use wood filler and just sand that down to give a sharp edge?

Your guitar has been given a "relic" job. If it still works OK, leave it as is, it adds "character".

Take a picture, i'd like to see the damage. Just be glad you didn't snap the neck off like I did to my G400 several years ago. [cursing]

I would say leave it. Perhaps some light sanding if its got some sharp splinters. My SG has plenty of gauges, scratches, nicks, etc. Its part of having a players guitar.

I really wouldn't take a sander to it and start sculpting curves in the body of your guitar. That's the kind of irrevocable action that sounds like a good idea at the time, which you then regret for evermore.

I do understand being upset about dings in a guitar, though, especially noticeable dings. I don't like the whole "relic" look, and don't believe that damage adds that mysterious quality some call "mojo" to an electric guitar. I like all my guitars to be pristine and shiny - even Telecasters - which some people always seem to think aren't authentic until they've got a few sizable holes in the front, bare wood is visible on at least 75% of the body, and the ashtray bridge is held on with a nail and a #4 self-tapping screw.

To each his own, but if that were my SG I'd set about repairing the damage.

In my experiences with decent wood-fillers, I've always found them hard to stain. Much easier to try to match the wood colour with a filler that is already coloured. This is easy when you are working in black, (looking at your photo, I'm guessing that's an ebony G-400)?

In your position, I'd be tempted to buy an ebony filler (such products can be readily found), fill the damage very slightly proud, sand it flush with very fine-grit paper, and finish it off with wet-and-dry paper. You'll probably find that the filler will take a slight shine if you work hard enough with the wet-and-dry paper and polish the area afterwards.

It'll always be noticeable if you look hard enough, but that damage looks quite slight - (how deep is it? hard to tell from the photo)- and I'm sure one could make a decent fist of repairing it.

Just me, but I would be inclined to fix it too. Easy to match the color on a black guitar, and that's a pretty big chunk. Is it on the back? I don't have an SG, but having troubling visualizing where that would be on the back.

I prefer pristine and it's on te back near curve that if you were to sit down playing it's just behind your thigh I saw a video on Google where nail polish fills the chunk and give a very good finish and the depth of it is about half a thumb nail

I prefer pristine and it's on te back near curve that if you were to sit down playing it's just behind your thigh I saw a video on Google where nail polish fills the chunk and give a very good finish and the depth of it is about half a thumb nail

That's a big depth to fill with nail polish. I'd go the filler route and finish with a thin coat of varnish. Sand down with wet & dry 600 grit, then 1000 grit, then 0000 or 00000 steel wool, and polish with Meguiars finishing polish, (from Halfords) or Brasso is cheaper and almost as good, but smelly in use. You will end up with a repair which will be visible up close but should feel smooth. And, as someone said already, use black wood filler if you can get it.

this is why i was thinking of adding some curvature to the body just dont know what to do because i could make it one of a kind by adding my own things like its the only iommi sg with gold humbucker surrounds and gold machine heads

I would leave it . that's why epiphone builds new ones .Get a new one and save it and play the hell right out of this one.look at Willy Nelsons guitar. I am sure he has new ones but he plays the hell out of that old girl.

The SG of doom is getting an over haul frets re shaped and polished new strings. Fixed the crack on the back with you wont believe it Mrs iommisg's favorite black nail polish and its looks very good once she returns pics shall be posted!

Archived