Gibson Brands Forums

Real or Fake Les Paul

The Brush

Looking at buying this from an estate sale. First off it's a lefty. Tried multiple websites to use serial number for identification, no luck figuring out. Multiple stickers on back of neck say made in China. No serial number on headstock. Only number is on neck plate. MC indicates Muse, China but numbers after that don't make sense. Any help would be appreciated. Little dinged up but plays great and sounds incredible. They're asking $150

post-60314-098776800 1383243440_thumb.jpg

post-60314-008267800 1383243448_thumb.jpg

post-60314-008599600 1383243454_thumb.jpg

Thats a nice left hand LP. Looks to be in pristine condition for a guitar manufactured 21 years ago and the price is right. If you are able to obtain it, please let the forum know and also please upload some better pictures. [thumbup]

Not a fake. Its a Les Paul-100. Made in Muse, China in 1992.

How does the number break down as to year, month, production unit? It doesn't exactly fit any of the multiple formats for serial numbers.

I did notice with further internet searches that several other people have Les Paul and SG models with this same serial number format on the neck plate. Isn't this time period during the Japanese and/or Korean production? These seem to be an odd group that were made in China prior to the big switch to China in 2002. Just curious because a friend says it can't be China before 2002.

Not a fake. Its a Les Paul-100. Made in Muse, China in 1992.

How does the number break down as to year, month, production unit? It doesn't exactly fit any of the multiple formats for serial numbers.

I did notice with further internet searches that several other people have Les Paul and SG models with this same serial number format on the neck plate. Isn't this time period during the Japanese and/or Korean production? These seem to be an odd group that were made in China prior to the big switch to China in 2002. Just curious because a friend says it can't be China before 2002.

It could be a 2002. I was gong by the first number in the serial (2) which would indicate either 1992 or 2002. The fact that htere is no "Les Paul" script on the headstock made be think 1992, but I think I may be mistaken. Seeing as the Epiphone logo is on a slant, it probably is 2002. In 1992 it would have been straight across the headstock. My bad. Definitely Chinese, though.

What makes you think there were no chinese made Epis before 2002 [confused]

Starting their 'own' factory in China in 2002 doesn't mean OEM factories didn't produce before.....

Your friend is wrong

mostly one digit for the year was used from 86-95

6=86

7=87

4=94

5=95

96=96

though the serial# on the bolt-on models seem to be 'strange' - sometimes

MC23030066

You thinking

MC=Muse, China

2=1992

3=March

03=third day of March

0066=66th unit that day

Just my SWAG

Maybe they were farming some out to China during those Japanese and Korean production periods

I'm more sure with the year than with the month and day....

BTW Epi never stopped producing guitars in Japan and Korea....

Dont be so sure. Like I pointed out earlier, the Epiphone logo is wrong for 1992. It should be straight across the headstock. I also did a little recon and came across an SG Speciall with an MC23 serial. The SG Special wasnt introduced until 1998, so 1992 would be out of the question for that particular guitar. I'm thinking its 2002. You'll find quite a bit from Muse around that time periiod. The 2001 LP Extremes are an example of that. Some of them came out of Muse as well. I think its safe to say that the early 2000 timeline is correct for this guitar.

Archived