Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar I Refinished

Riptide

So here are some pics of a guitar I refinished with my dad this past summer! I meant to post them earlier but just never got around to it. Let me know what you think! It turned out really great in my opinion. I know we didn't do the best job but it was my first time doing anything like these so I'm just happy with what we did do right and what we learned. Also, if you have any questions ask away! [thumbup]

Before:

IMG_0612.jpg

After:

IMG_0003.jpg

The whole process:

http://s840.photobucket.com/user/Worm-Slayer/library/?sort=2&page=1

Looks to be very well done. Congrats!

What's the story (pun) with the square over the bridge p'up? Is the pic of the Joker(?) a hologram?

It shows up clearly in some of the 'build' storyboard but not at the camera angle as posted in the thread?

P.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Haha, the cutout over where the bridge pup would be is a little shiny Joker card that's silver but if you hold it at different angles it will reflect (or is it refract?) different colours. All the graphics on the pickguard are from DC comic books. [thumbup]

I like it. What made you decide to leave just the middle pickup? is it your favorite sound?

Well, I always ended up using the middle pickup because it just sounded best to me. It's basswood so it's kinda undefined and mushy in the bass so the neck pickup never seemed like a great option but then it still sounds "Straty" and bridge positions on Strats always sound bad to me... plus it was a cheap humbucker which made it worse. And that leaves the middle pickup :) I'll probably switch it out for a better pickup in the future. Also, once you throw on some gain it just like gets this unique growling sound which is awesome! [biggrin]

Well, I always ended up using the middle pickup because it just sounded best to me. It's basswood so it's kinda undefined and mushy in the bass so the neck pickup never seemed like a great option but then it still sounds "Straty" and bridge positions on Strats always sound bad to me... plus it was a cheap humbucker which made it worse. And that leaves the middle pickup :) I'll probably switch it out for a better pickup in the future. Also, once you throw on some gain it just like gets this unique growling sound which is awesome! [biggrin]

I always liked the middle pickup on my strat copy. The bridge was too harsh and thin and the neck had too much bass. Cool colour scheme btw, reminds me a bit of my old housemates ibanez rg. A custom headstock logo would look badass on that

Archived