Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie with an odd one...

captainwave

Hi all,

I’m new to the community and to Epiphone. Happy to be here. Just got my first which is a 335 Dot in a unusual colour called Antique Ivory. The only reference I can find anywhere of a 335 in this colour is the Dregen Signature from 2004. I can’t find any information that Epiphone ever built a 335 in this colour other than the Dregen one.

Mine has no pickguard, no holes even so apparently it never had one. It has however, a Gibson TRC. The serial no is U02045851 which is supposed to be built in the Korean Unsung factory in 2002, all according to Guitar Dater. What is this?

bild2_zps16388fa7.jpg

Creamy4_zpsaf9e2677.jpg

Creamy3_zpsb7d39be5.jpg

Wow... that is indeed an "odd" one. At first glance it looked to be refinished in a mono-chromatic scheme. However...it looks good like that. Nice looking guitar. Reminds me of my Joe Pass. The headstock marking is new to me also. Never seen that one before. As long as you like it and it plays well... Nice axe...best of luck with your info search.

Everything about it looks typical of a Dot Standard except the color and lack of pickguard screw holes. The lack of screw holes is very strange, as I believe they come with the pickguard pre-installed. Some models do not. As far as the color, I cant find anything about it either.

What is the model number? There should be a color designation at the end of it. Just curious if it says "AI"

Also, what is your geographical location? Do you happen to be anywhere near Nashville?

Hi all,

I’m new to the community and to Epiphone. Happy to be here. Just got my first which is a 335 Dot in a unusual colour called Antique Ivory. The only reference I can find anywhere of a 335 in this colour is the Dregen Signature from 2004. I can’t find any information that Epiphone ever built a 335 in this colour other than the Dregen one.

Mine has no pickguard, no holes even so apparently it never had one. It has however, a Gibson TRC. The serial no is U02045851 which is supposed to be built in the Korean Unsung factory in 2002, all according to Guitar Dater. What is this?

bild2_zps16388fa7.jpg

Creamy4_zpsaf9e2677.jpg

Creamy3_zpsb7d39be5.jpg

Hmmm :-k , well...are you from Canada, Europe, the UK, or possibly Japan/Korea, maybe? [biggrin]

IF that IS the case, you may well have a version, and color, of the "Dot" that we,

in America, don't get? Even Canada can get some versions, that we don't.

I'd contact Gibson/Epiphone Customer service. They can tell you, what it is, and

where it was sold, and if it was an "exclusive" model, to some particular market.

Good Luck,

CB

Hmmm :-k , well...are you from Canada, Europe, the UK, or possibly Japan/Korea, maybe? [biggrin]

IF that IS the case, you may well have a version, and color, of the "Dot" that we,

in America, don't get? Even Canada can get some versions, that we don't.

I'd contact Gibson/Epiphone Customer service. They can tell you, what it is, and

where it was sold, and if it was an "exclusive" model, to some particular market.

Good Luck,

CB

I thought about that too, CB. But I wasnt able to turn anything up. Usually I can find something about special runs for specific markets, but not this time. Thats why I asked if he was near Nashville. Sometimes employees get protos and pre-production models and end up selling them years later. That was my thought on this one.

Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum and all your comments about "the odd one". I've just sent Pictures to Epi Customer Service hoping that they will find the info I'm looking for. I will of course let you know what they find, if anything.

So, am I near Nashville? I'm afraid not. I live in Sweden, just outside Stockholm and that's where I bought the guitar. As Dregen (Backyard Babies guitarist) is from Sweden, maybe my guitar has something to do with his signature model. Atleast it is the same colour. I'll get back to you when I have more info about it.

That would be my guess. That would explain the screw holes being filled and covered.

I doubt it has been refinished. The serial number is still intact in its original form on the headstock.

I suppose it could have something to do with the Backyard Babies. Its the only other model I've ever seen in that color. The only issue I have with that is that it predates the Dregan model by two years. CB might be right about it being a special run for the European market.

Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum and all your comments about "the odd one". I've just sent Pictures to Epi Customer Service hoping that they will find the info I'm looking for. I will of course let you know what they find, if anything.

So, am I near Nashville? I'm afraid not. I live in Sweden, just outside Stockholm and that's where I bought the guitar. As Dregen (Backyard Babies guitarist) is from Sweden, maybe my guitar has something to do with his signature model. Atleast it is the same colour. I'll get back to you when I have more info about it.

Hi, from newbie to newbie!

While today there's a central Gibson distribution for all european countries (which is in NL) I know that back in 2002 at least Germany had it's own distribution. I recently even found an old german Epiphone pricelist from "Musik & Technik Marburg" who were the official Gibson/Epiphone distributors back than. Maybe your guitar is from a special limited run the swedish distributor or a particular store ordered back then. So maybe the former swedish distributor can tell you more.

Guys,

Well, I've got an answer from Epiphone about my "odd one", but unfortunately, they don't know anything about the poor thing. Here's their reply:

Unfortunately, we don’t any available information (price-list, catalogs) concerning the Epiphone ES-335 in white or Ivory finish made in 2002. We cannot trace this guitar model. Sorry for the inconvenient.

Regards,

Marcelo Pineda

Customer Service

I'm not sure where to go from here but I would really like to know more about my guitar. The next step would be to contact the local distributor, as suggested by Stahlbiest. The model label inside of the soundhole just says "DOT", nothing else. I'm absolutely sure that it hasn't been refinished. It's all original (except for the ´11 ProBuckers I put in there instead of the original pups that were really, really bad). The search will continue... [confused]

Unfortunately, we don’t any available information (price-list, catalogs) concerning the Epiphone ES-335 in white or Ivory finish made in 2002. We cannot trace this guitar model. Sorry for the inconvenient.

I didn't wish to seem negative, but that's more or less what I expected you would hear from the official source.

Assuming that you are right and it's not a modded guitar...

One would think that a company with Gibson's (and, by extension, Epiphone's) heritage would have some sort of company archive and archivist...

Archived