Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

cjsinla

Yeah, I'm REALLY curious, about how well the "new and improved" sideways Maestro

works, now? The old ones were really problematic...even though they looked "cool," in

a Rube Goldberg sort of way. [biggrin]

But, if the new ones are (truly) much better, I may have to start saving my pennies,

once again! Who needs "food?" I need to lose some weight, anyway. [flapper] LOL

It just never ends, huh? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Yeah, I'm REALLY curious, about how well the "new and improved" sideways Maestro

works, now? The old ones were really problematic...even though they looked "cool," in

a Rube Goldberg sort of way. [biggrin]

But, if the new ones are (truly) much better, I may have to start saving my pennies,

once again! Who needs "food?" I need to lose some weight, anyway. [flapper] LOL

It just never ends, huh? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I will definitely keep you posted regarding the Maestro.

I will definitely keep you posted regarding the Maestro.

My Dealer (E.M. Shorts) just informed me, they have 2 of these SG's in stock! [scared]

GAS is building, FAST! I'll pop up to Wichita, either on Friday (IF they're

open), or next week, and see one "in person!" This is very dangerous, to my

finances, at this time...but, that's never stopped me, before! (Maniacal Laughter) [lol]

So, who knows...I may come home with yet another SG! [woot][razz][biggrin]:rolleyes:

Is there a Rehab, or "cure" for this?! :unsure:

CB

My Dealer (E.M. Shorts) just informed me, they have 2 of these SG's in stock! [scared]

GAS is building, FAST! I'll pop up to Wichita, either on Friday (IF they're

open), or next week, and see one "in person!" This is very dangerous, to my

finances, at this time...but, that's never stopped me, before! (Maniacal Laughter) [lol]

So, who knows...I may come home with yet another SG! [woot][razz][biggrin]:rolleyes:

Is there a Rehab, or "cure" for this?! :unsure:

CB

The only rehab or cure I see is that they are sold out before you get one [scared]

That's not funny at all but happened to me recently. [sad] If I had had the money, I guess I would have bought a Kirk Douglas "Captain" SG but had to let them pass... [crying] They were sold out at Thomann before they arrived, by the way.

Ok. Here's a few pics. The grain on the back is very vivid and dark. I looked at the pics for a couple of these guitars and the grain is so obvious you can tell most of them are two-piece bodies, but especially on the one that I got. The grain is a lot less obvious on the front but still looks great. Also, the guitar is very light, about 6 1/2 pounds. It plays and sounds great. The Maestro unit is not very usable, But the guitar seems to stay in tune pretty well. The unit is only good for dive bombs, you cannot pull up on it. However, I usually just shake my guitar around for the vibrato effect I want anyway. I also really like the look of the Maestro unit.

11090817095_6a2d87e9db_b.jpg

11090912716_4d8577abdd_b.jpg

11090822175_e84a687710_b.jpg

11090974345_ea528ecaea_b.jpg

I'm adding a picture of my SG original just for comparison of the grain between the two guitars. The guitars actually are closer in color then they look in the photos.

9109678255_10aa6622be_b.jpg

11091029805_b001ee7f9d_b.jpg

Congrats on your pretty acquisition! [thumbup]

Taking a look at your nice SG family, I think you might have all kinds of double pickup SGs one can be in need of. ;)

Certain colour variations are normal IMHO. My SG Standard Bass appears to be very dark, close to black cherry, while the Frank Zappa "Roxy" SG guitars of mine are much brighter. Every Gibson is a bit of a one shot due to the differences in woods and stains I think.

Ok. Here's a few pics. The grain on the back is very vivid and dark. I looked at the pics for a couple of these guitars and the grain is so obvious you can tell most of them are two-piece bodies, but especially on the one that I got. The grain is a lot less obvious on the front but still looks great. Also, the guitar is very light, about 6 1/2 pounds. It plays and sounds great. The Maestro unit is not very usable, But the guitar seems to stay in tune pretty well. The unit is only good for dive bombs, you cannot pull up on it. However, I usually just shake my guitar around for the vibrato effect I want anyway. I also really like the look of the Maestro unit.

11090817095_6a2d87e9db_b.jpg

11090912716_4d8577abdd_b.jpg

11090822175_e84a687710_b.jpg

11090974345_ea528ecaea_b.jpg

I'm adding a picture of my SG original just for comparison of the grain between the two guitars. The guitars actually are closer in color then they look in the photos.

9109678255_10aa6622be_b.jpg

11091029805_b001ee7f9d_b.jpg

Great looking guitar cjsinla! [thumbup] I AM curious, though, what you mean by

the Maestro is not very "usable?" How so? To awkward, or doesn't operate well,

smoothly, etc. The original model of that particular Maestro, had all kinds

of problems, that way. So, since Gibson said they "re-engineered" it, I'd like

to know just what they did, and how it improved it? IF, in fact, it did???! [tongue]

Could you try to explain, further? :unsure: [mellow]

CB

to know just what they did, and how it improved it? IF, in fact, it did???! [tongue]

CB

It operates smoothly enough but the mechanism is a little awkward and loose. It will only drop tune. I have not worked with it at all, I have not lubricated anything or worked on any of the nut slots or anything though. I have never played one of the original ones, however. I cannot compare the differences between an old one and a new one. All of these Gibson units seem to have a certain looseness to them that is different than what I'm used to on Fender Stratocaster's. The fender units are little bit more touch sensitive with less slop to them. I like to be able to gently move a vibrato bar back-and-forth for a very low-key effect. That does not seem possible with this new Gibson Maestro unit. However, the sound of these guitars with the vibrato units on them seem to be a bit more chimey and jangly sounding to my ear than the SG's with the stop tailpieces. I really like the sound of them.

I compared the color of this guitar to a 59 Les Paul Junior and it seems like Gibson was going for a faded cherry look on this guitar. There's also a certain clarity to the finish and the woodgrain is quite obvious when compared to some of the other more recent, darker finishes. I also like the way the back of the neck looks faded and pale as if it is actually an older guitar.

11092389826_dee6e73e13_b.jpg

Congrats on your pretty acquisition! [thumbup]

Taking a look at your nice SG family, I think you might have all kinds of double pickup SGs one can be in need of. ;)

Certain colour variations are normal IMHO. My SG Standard Bass appears to be very dark, close to black cherry, while the Frank Zappa "Roxy" SG guitars of mine are much brighter. Every Gibson is a bit of a one shot due to the differences in woods and stains I think.

You are right, I have almost every type of SG configuration that they offer. I'm starting to hit critical mass over here with all these guitars.

CB

Ok. I went back and I worked with it little bit more. It definitely helps if the bar is fully extended, not folded back. It does seem to be fairly easy to get the type of subtle vibrato effect that I prefer. The nut on this guitar is clearly binding and I am still able to use it without too much trouble. It would seem to me that the vibrato unit works relatively well but might require a little lubrication and adjustment of the nut. Something else I've noticed is that the pressure of the strings over the bridge is very light due to the construction and the way that the vibrato unit is made. This actually makes it possible to raise and lower the bridge without even loosening the strings on the guitar.

Ok. I went back and I worked with it little bit more. It definitely helps if the bar is fully extended, not folded back. It does seem to be fairly easy to get the type of subtle vibrato effect that I prefer. The nut on this guitar is clearly binding and I am still able to use it without too much trouble. It would seem to me that the vibrato unit works relatively well but might require a little lubrication and adjustment of the nut. Something else I've noticed is that the pressure of the strings over the bridge is very light due to the construction and the way that the vibrato unit is made. This actually makes it possible to raise and lower the bridge without even loosening the strings on the guitar.

Thanks! [biggrin] I'm going up to my dealer's on "Black Friday," and will check them out!

I was told, this PM via e-mail, they have 6 in stock! So, if anyone else is looking,

to get one of these, you might give Lance, at E.M Shorts, a call? 1-800-835-3006.

They're good people, and have great prices, as well. They were told, this is a

"limited edition, of 300," so "Re-orders" probably won't happen. And NO, I don't

work for them...lol, just a Long Time, customer.

Cheers,

CB

Thanks! [biggrin] I'm going up to my dealer's on "Black Friday," and will check them out!

I was told, this PM via e-mail, they have 6 in stock! So, if anyone else is looking,

to get one of these, you might give Lance, at E.M Shorts, a call? 1-800-835-3006.

They're good people, and have great prices, as well. They were told, this is a

"limited edition, of 300," so "Re-orders" probably won't happen. And NO, I don't

work for them...lol, just a Long Time, customer.

Cheers,

CB

i've been playing mine all day, it sounds exceptional and I've been switching back and forth with my 61 SG and SG Original. It even sounds better than my 59 Junior but that one needs a string change. I don't think you can go wrong with this SG.

How exciting! Congratulations on your acquisition. Seems like Gibson does pay attention, at least some of the time. I wanted to add in a few questions.

First: how does it sound and play compared to your SG Original? They both have '57 and, according to the Gibson website, the 60's slim neck (which isn't really that slim on the modern models). Is there any variation at all? That's a major factor in keeping me from indiscriminately splurging.

Second: I don't know if it's just me but the photos I've been seeing of this model (not only your own but on Sweetwater and everywhere else) seem to harken back to the 70's. The color seems less cherry than your Original and more Walnut-y. Also something with the beveling looks more 70's style. Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Have you noticed anything like that? Maybe I'm mistaken. Either way, I'm easily drooling over this guitar. It's tough to look at photos knowing that I need to maintain discipline.

Archived