Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Lucille and flatwound strings: gauge ?

Guido-Italy

Hello from Italy.

I would want mount a flatwound strings on my Epiphone Lucille for a smooth sound more fit for jazz and I'm also curious to listen the difference in sound when I play blus or blues rock , I don't like much brilliance sound.

Actually I'm using Gibson Vintage reissue .010-.046 What gauge should I buy of flatwound strngs that has normal high gauge like .011-.050 or higher

I found Thomastick .010-.043 or .011-.047 Daddario .010-.048 GHS .011-046 DR .011-.048.

On Epiphone PDF string gaugeMy link for Epiphone Lucille cons is .010-.046 but no notice about tension of strings .

Is true that Thomastick strings has lower tension than other strings of the same gauge so should be possibile to mount an higher gauge than other brand ?

It's better to mount Thomastick .011-.047My link2

or .012-.050My link3

Thanks for answer.

Guido

Guido, unfortunately, with guitar strings (roundwound or flatwound), it's largely

a matter of Personal Preference! I'd try the Thomastick's, first, and see if you

like them. If not, try another brand, until you find one's you'll like the most,

and stick with those. Thomastick-Infeld are great strings, but so are Pyramid Flats.

There are lots of other string makers, to choose from, as well. So...?? As to guage?

That too, is personal preference. How much "resistance" you like, what kind of tone,

and how much "bending" will you do, etc.

Sorry, for no definitive answer, but it really is up to your preferences.

CB

I am using Daddario .010-.048 extra light-gauge right now, after using the thicker ones like 11-54 or 11-50 which seems to be common.

When you get to the Low E being "54" it is quite thick. For more mellowness I suppose the common 11-50 seem normal for blues, light jazz and such, not quite as heavy or thick sounding as the 11-54 or perhaps they are 12-54.

But like I said the low E gets big, even though they make even bigger strings, you probably end up playing 4 string chords more because 6 strings chords require a very firm grip and workout with your hand and arm.

In my amp, which also seem like a bassy place to play in for the jam, they seem to be too bassy, while the 10-48 bring out more of the highs.

Depends on where you are playing it also, even though the place has bass traps in it, they also take more volume to sound the same loudness as a treble-er string.

Just have to try one or the other or something else to see what you want in the end.

And they will cause more tension on the neck, so having probably a bigger at least thicker neck also will help. I have a '50's kind of rounded neck whereas with a '60's type neck, then well the tension may wear out the neck kind of so sooner as the strings pull more. Probably have to adjust the neck also perhaps if heavier gauge strings.

It all factors in. The amp, the place, the gauge of the strings and the tension on the neck needed to hold the strings down also.

Haven't done this the last thirteen years, but I played flatwounds for over fifteen years on my only ES style guitar, a Weimann Blues Bird. I found it to be more authentic when using a wound G3rd, and so I ended up with .012" - .056". Since flatwounds feel very smooth, the limited bending effect on the G3rd for me was a minor shortcoming only since bending flatwounds is more convenient for fingertips and causes less fret and fretboard wear compared to bending roundwounds.

There are no problems with the neck so far and still aren't - I play .012" - .054" roundwounds on this guitar since of November, 2000. It's all a matter of keeping it nicely adjusted I think.

I have TI George Benson .012 flatwounds on my Epi Sheraton II, and TI Jazz Swing .011 flatwounds on my Gibson 335. In each case, the TI flats replaced D'Addario 110 strings. The Sheraton required a truss rod adjustment to handle the greater tension. The 335 has been fine without an adjustment. The Benson's have heavier gauge D, A, and E strings than their Jazz Swing .012 gauge counterparts. The Juststrings.com website publishes the tension numbers for TI strings, and the Benson's total tension was (as I recall) in the neighborhood of 20-25 pounds greater than the .012 Jazz Swings' tension. I have TI flats on almost all of my electric guitars, mostly .010 Jazz Flats, and I've never had to do any neck adjustments when changing over to them from D'Addario 110s. TI strings last longer than D'Addario rounds, stay in tune much better, and intonate better than rounds (besides being much more quiet than rounds when sliding around on the neck).

Thanks guys for your precious suggestions . So I think I'm not wrong if I muont to try a .011-.047 Thomastick or .010-.048 Daddario .

Question :according to your experience what brand make the most "soft" string at same gague ? excuse me for my English)

Is it true that Tomastick and DR Strings have lower tension and they are more "soft" than other strings brands ?

BYE

Guido

I hope you understand my English since it also is not my first language. [rolleyes]

Can't say anything about Thomastik and DR but experienced that D'Addarios feel harder and stiffer in general, compared to the same gauges made by most other brands.

so be sure to come back after a few sessions and let us know how you like the change.

/ray

Of course ! Next 2 or 3 days I'll be very busy at work , but I think on next week-end I take time to mount new string set on my guitar.

In this day I have a thought : Change my Lucille and take a hollow body such as , I'0m sorry, Ibanez AFJ95 or AKJ95. I haven't found equivalent in Epiphone except Emperor II Joe Pass.

Guido

• 2 weeks later...

HI guys

Now I have Thomastick Jazz swing .011-.047 on my Epiphone Lucille and I confirm you these are a fantastic strings .

Good on touch , sound very smooth afew darl, but not too much . Very good for jazz, but not only, goos also for blues and rrocl/hard rock .

I'm very happy of this choice !

Try this strings . Only one thing cons : the price is high , where I live one set cost 15€ about 20,61 $ !!

BYE

Guido

I used flats on my first electric in the mid '60s but then dropped using them for ages.

Right now I have some 9-42 flats on my Gretch jazz box. And will be messing with some others as well.

They're as much different for playing in ways as nylon to steel.

m

Yes, they definitely change things up. I just got in a couple sets of D'Addario Chromes in 11-50 today to try on the new Sorrento. I wanted flats but not as stiff as on my Eastman. If I could just find my neck rest, I'd have them on tonight.

Didn't try GHS myself but a bandmate of mine likes them. He uses .010" Boomers roundwounds, so I know that the plain strings, .010", .013" and .017" in this case, feel rather soft. I compared Rotosound and D'Addario strings last year and found out that Rotosound plains feel significantly softer than D'Addarios of the same gauge.

If I had to put the plains of same gauge in an order from soft to hard, it would be GHS - Optima Chrome (the brand I use) - Rotosound - D'Addario.

Comparing wound strings is rather difficult I think, but I experienced that nickel wound strings feel softer than chrome or stainless steel wound ones. On the other hand, it also depends on the core/winding diameter ratio. A thicker core may give a stiffer feel.

Hope this helps.

Archived