Gibson Brands Forums

Limited J200

Twisted sister

... If he's not a dealer, how does he get them? ...

From an authorized dealer. Gibson only sells to its authorized dealers.

... And will Gibson warranty them if they're not from an authorized dealer? ...

Authorized dealers cannot legally sell new stock on eBay. However, if the seller is an authorized dealer -- or a formerly authorized dealer, or an agent for an authorized dealer -- the buyer may very well get a receipt that will enable him or her to get warranty coverage without question. Since eBay is just a broker, the buyer bought directly from an authorized dealer and I don't see any basis for denial of coverage in the warranty. (Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.) But, if the question arose, the burden would be on the buyer to demonstrate that the seller was the dealer or acting for the dealer -- and how could one do that? OTOH, if the seller is just someone who can buy from a dealer at a heavily discounted price, the buyer is definitely not entitled to warranty coverage, even if the seller buys it from the dealer specifically for the buyer and includes a receipt with the buyer's from the dealer. The buyer couldn't very well claim that the seller was acting as his or her agent when making the purchase, given that the eBay ad offers a guitar, not services.

The buyer is definitely taking a risk, even if the seller can include a receipt from a dealer with the buyer's name on it. If Gibson finds out that the guitar was purchased through eBay, they can almost certainly deny coverage.

-- Bob R

Authorized dealers cannot legally sell new stock on eBay. However, if the seller is an authorized dealer -- or a formerly authorized dealer, or an agent for an authorized dealer -- the buyer may very well get a receipt that will enable him or her to get warranty coverage without question. Since eBay is just a broker, the buyer bought directly from an authorized dealer and I don't see any basis for denial of coverage in the warranty. (Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.) But, if the question arose, the burden would be on the buyer to demonstrate that the seller was the dealer or acting for the dealer -- and how could one do that? OTOH, if the seller is just someone who can buy from a dealer at a heavily discounted price, the buyer is definitely not entitled to warranty coverage, even if the seller buys it from the dealer specifically for the buyer and includes a receipt with the buyer's from the dealer. The buyer couldn't very well claim that the seller was acting as his or her agent when making the purchase, given that the eBay ad offers a guitar, not services.

The buyer is definitely taking a risk, even if the seller can include a receipt from a dealer with the buyer's name on it. If Gibson finds out that the guitar was purchased through eBay, they can almost certainly deny coverage.

-- Bob R

As I recall I believe this dealer from Guitar Center Platinum. Dealers can and do sell on eBay but must be a authorized online dealer and must list at map pricing. If you look you will find sweet water, wildwood and a bunch of others. I've noticed if dealers are selling below map pricing they try to keep things secretive.

As I recall I believe this dealer from Guitar Center Platinum. Dealers can and do sell on eBay but must be a authorized online dealer and must list at map pricing. ...

This is certainly possible. I haven't seen terms of the dealer agreement in awhile. It was the case that even on-line dealers couldn't sell on eBay, but these things change without public notice and I could well be operating on out-of-date info. But if a dealer can't sell below MAP on eBay, that makes eBay a pretty terrible option: you pay too much, and don't get to play before you buy as a bonus.

-- Bob R

A friend of mine bought one of these from Ebay last month. He did a video of it and it sounds really nice. the looks of the rosewood is out of this world and very fitting of the term Mystic. The guitar shipped from a Montana address and we all know what dealer is in Montana that would get one of these guitars. Not saying it came from them but it is coincidental.

Here is a link to MusciVilla demo of it.

(original post abbreviated)

-- Bob R

Bob,

Thanks for your explanation(s).

I'm curious how people buy something as expensive as a guitar off of Ebay--especially when in a lot of cases it comes with a no-return clause. Still, I can't remember anyone, at least lately, coming on the forum and saying they got ripped off.

Everything else aside, it is a beautiful guitar.

Thanks again,

FMA

Bob,

Thanks for your explanation(s).

I'm curious how people buy something as expensive as a guitar off of Ebay--especially when in a lot of cases it comes with a no-return clause. Still, I can't remember anyone, at least lately, coming on the forum and saying they got ripped off.

Everything else aside, it is a beautiful guitar.

Thanks again,

FMA

For the most part most people are honest. Especially if they already have feedback. eBay uses scare tactics to keep sales within eBay, therefor they can jack up there rates and bully buyers into paying their high prices. If that's not enough they also own paypal and force sellers into using this as well. Now they are double dipping in my opinion. Just recently ebay raised their rates to 10%. A guitar that used to cost 50 dollars in fees now costs 250, plus paypal coming in at another 3%. I personally don't see why people sell on eBay. I would rather have a guitar from someone with a no return policy over someone that would take a return and then sell it as new. Most people with good feedback won't sell anything but great items because they don't want to risk the hassle. Most sellers are willing to split the fee cost and sell outside of eBay if asked just right. Nice guitar and I'm trying to get to the bank on this one!

Looks like Seller ended the sale. Strange - the bridge pins were abalone inlay. Must be aftermarket. I never heard of Bozeman shipping guitars with anything other than the plain molded plastic.

I just emailed him and he ended it and the sale is still pending a payment. You might be able to sweet talk him into selling it. As far as the bridge pins, everything is factory. I've already researched every inch of this guitar. Look at his feedback and he has a limited koa sj200 with the same style bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived