Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Fretboards

fortyearspickn

Richlite/Micarta = green?

While both are inert the process of making them is caustic and has lots of hazardous waste and disposal associated with the products. And what about the manufacturing of the chemicals used to make richlite/micarta?. I don't like green talk because most of it is nothing more then a spin on things. I just don't see how this stuff is green compared to cutting down a tree and using the wood [confused .

SD, agree completely. Half the things being touted/marketed as green" are the opposite. Politicians here are pushing to outlaw plastic bags. These are the ones that replaced paper bags a few decades ago to save the trees. They are no longer environmentally friendly enough so we are to be force to buy re-usable bags made of recycled plastic. Trouble is, they get dirty and grow different kinds of bacteria. So, cleaning them will involve chemicals and hot water. So, I'm guessing their carbon footprint is a lot bigger than the 20 or 30 plastic bags they can replace. My simulated leather car seats are recycled plastic bottles, and are great. But that's just a cradle for my butt. I have higher standards for an acoustic guitar. At a minimum, full disclosure. I have tried to like carbon fiber, but the sound and feel just don't do it for me. Just too brittle and no prospect of breaking in and becoming more ... What? Woody?

Regarding Gibson's supplies of rosewood, ebony and other hardwoods - I wanted to point out Gibson went through 3 years of losses, not only to confiscation in the raids, but also the huge amount of flood damage in Tennessee: November 17, 2009 raid, May 2010 Tennessee flood, and another raid August 24, 2011.

Regarding green materials: Whatever is used - natural or synthetic - there's always a trade off. Whether a particular trade off is good or bad is always is arguable. The richlite/micarta discussion is a good example of this. Use of the synthetic material is good for wood stewardship, but the manufacture of the synthetic material is bad in terms of chemical use and waste products.

although the specs say ebony, the fretboard on my classic western J200 looks more like rosewood.

A few sites still selling old inventory, for the J45 custom still say ebony FB, but Bozeman switched to rosewood in June 2012 so these are more recent and actually rosewood. So, if you relied on the truthfulness of the seller, and having ebony was important to you, you would then get a guitar and not know if it was light colored ebony or rosewood. Unless you called Gibson with the SN.

Some ebony (Gaboon?) can be lighter. As noted above by FMA, apparently some is also other colors. Also some manufacturers will stain it black. Koa is from the same "family" as mahogany, but it is significantly different. Taylor isn't going to try to pass it off as mahogany. But would someone, maybe a cabinet maker try to pass mahogany off as "koa family"? Silver is another precious material that is often mis-labeled. China is a good source for faux silver, if you still need something for your wife. Often retailed by UK dealers. I guess you can no longer say "you get what you pay for."

With respect, this is not really US govt vs Gibson or democrats vs Gibson or Obama vs Gibson. Gibson played fast and loose with the regs. OK some enforcement yahoos turned it into a stupid tv raid, but the fact is the company was doing something wrong *. It's not, as faux news would have you believe, some political vendetta against Gibson.

*The acoustic division was not, as far as I know, directly involved, though they may have received wood from the disputed chain of custody.

With respect, this is not really US govt vs Gibson or democrats vs Gibson or Obama vs Gibson. Gibson played fast and loose with the regs. OK some enforcement yahoos turned it into a stupid tv raid, but the fact is the company was doing something wrong *. It's not, as faux news would have you believe, some political vendetta against Gibson.

*The acoustic division was not, as far as I know, directly involved, though they may have received wood from the disputed chain of custody.

Jerry, I apologize. I may have been subconsciously thinking 'Fascists' and you did a Vulcan Mind Meld and read Democrats.

In a typically un-scientific way - I have concluded that Martin seems to dominate the ebony fingerboard market. I was in our GC Friday in the 'good' guitar room where only Martins, Taylors and Gibsons reside. There were 4 Gibbys - and a dozen or so Martins and as many Taylors. I noticed that at least 3/4 of the Martins had ebony fretboards. A couple had rosewood, a couple had some kind of manufactured thing. There were several Taylors that had ebony, but not nearly as many. Of course. we all know the Gibbys didn't, and in the past year and a half or so - rarely have had ebony. And we know, even though they didn't use it as often (proportionately) as Martin - the reason has to do with Federal Fish and Wildlife agents raiding their ebony inventory, declaring it to be illegal and seizing it. Yes, that is ancient history here. But I found it interesting that, based on this small sample - the law seems to have prevented a very small manufacturer from having one or two guitars with ebony - while the other two large producers accounted for nearly a dozen. So, at the end of the day - ebony is being used and, as all reports indicate - depleted. The law has not solved the problem at all.

On a side note - out in the cheap seats larger room - I was a Martin that was made out of aluminum. Sort of like having rubber cowboy boots it seems.

The law does not prevent companies large or small from using Ebony. I will not comment any further because I like Gibson guitars and I do not want to be banned from this forum. I bought my Gibson Les Paul Standard a couple of months ago and I'm trying really hard to find the right Gibson Acoustic guitar. I believe I will have my Gibson acoustic guitar for my birthday this spring.

A few sites still selling old inventory, for the J45 custom still say ebony FB, but Bozeman switched to rosewood in June 2012 so these are more recent and actually rosewood. So, if you relied on the truthfulness of the seller, and having ebony was important to you, you would then get a guitar and not know if it was light colored ebony or rosewood. Unless you called Gibson with the SN.

Some ebony (Gaboon?) can be lighter. As noted above by FMA, apparently some is also other colors. Also some manufacturers will stain it black. Koa is from the same "family" as mahogany, but it is significantly different. Taylor isn't going to try to pass it off as mahogany. But would someone, maybe a cabinet maker try to pass mahogany off as "koa family"? Silver is another precious material that is often mis-labeled. China is a good source for faux silver, if you still need something for your wife. Often retailed by UK dealers. I guess you can no longer say "you get what you pay for."

I am not complaining though. It is a magnificent instrument. Truthfully, I think I prefer the rosewood. I have owned ebony fretboards on martin guitars (OM45RR) and this gibson ,to me, is more of what I was looking for.

I am not complaining though. It is a magnificent instrument. Truthfully, I think I prefer the rosewood. I have owned ebony fretboards on martin guitars (OM45RR) and this gibson ,to me, is more of what I was looking for.

Archived