Gibson Brands Forums

New used amp day!

Bongoscot

Today I picked up a Peavey Classic 50 410 amp used on the SUPER cheap. I really like it, it sounds great both clean and gained up. Thing is that the reverb does not work. That is why I got it really obnoxiously cheap. I was wondering if any of you could tell me the worst case scenario as far as getting reverb fixed? Is it a major job to replace the tank? How much should I expect to pay an amp pro to do it for me? I have a Holy Grail pedal and it is just fine for now but I would like to get the amp fixed.

Man this thing is amazingly loud. I wanted to see what it could do so I nudged the master volume up slowly and I could not get past 5 (out of 12) before it was almost painfully loud. It really sounds sweet. I am very happy. I have been planning to get a Blackstar HT40 after some saving but upon stumbling into this amp I think it will do the trick for me. [thumbup]

It's probably something easy to fix. Like maybe the connectors that go to the reverb tank are not working. They have RCA type connectors. You can try twisting the connectors around a little in place or just pull them out and see if they look o.k. There may also be connectors where those wires go into the chassis. Or maybe it's hard wired to the chassis.

It could be just plugged in backwards. Try reversing the wires and see if that works.

But check the connections first. A new reverb tank will probably cost like fifty bucks to get diagnosed and replaced by an amp shop. And it could end up being something more involved, but it's most likely just a connection problem. Fenders are really bad like that. I don't know about Peaveys.

Definitely check connectors first. You can replace the RCA cable easily if needed. Can also be a reverb tube, though I have not seen that circuit. I had a similar issue on an old Fender Deluxe Reverb and a new tube fixed the problem.

I got to poking around in this amp and I noticed that some of the tubes looked older than others then noticed that they didn't even all match had 2 Sovtec tubes, 1 in preamp section and 1 in power section with the rest being JJ, so I replaced the whole set. I went with Tung Sol tubes across the board. I have to say,FREAKING WOW, tubes really make a difference. I went from sounding pretty nice to sounding absolutely amazing, and as if magic, the reverb works. I swear everything in this amp works and sounds better and I went from liking it to loving it. [thumbup]

I got to poking around in this amp and I noticed that some of the tubes looked older than others then noticed that they didn't even all match had 2 Sovtec tubes, 1 in preamp section and 1 in power section with the rest being JJ, so I replaced the whole set. I went with Tung Sol tubes across the board. I have to say,FREAKING WOW, tubes really make a difference. I went from sounding pretty nice to sounding absolutely amazing, and as if magic, the reverb works. I swear everything in this amp works and sounds better and I went from liking it to loving it. [thumbup]

Looks like there was a problem with the tube driving the reverb tank. All good now.

-Ryan

Regarding reverb, I was going to throw out that the transducer usually goes on those. Fixing it is 10 minutes on a tech's bench, some solder, and a dab of silicon to secure it. At least that's what it has always been in my limited experience.

... and as if magic, the reverb works. I swear everything in this amp works

Think I may have mentioned the reverb tube as a possible culprit. :rolleyes:

Glad it's sounding good. I'm a big fan of the stuff Tung Sol is selling as well.

Nice score and I'm glad you got your reverb issue cleared up. I just got a great deal on a Peavey Classic 30 off the local Craigslist last week. I need to take mine in to get the "Middle" control fixed. The knob is missing and the broken pot shaft just spins without any changes to the circuit. I may try out a set of those Tung Sol tubes while I'm at it.

Archived