Gibson Brands Forums

Pics of my two Broadways

geoffsct

Here's pics of my two Broadways. My truck sleeper is not the best place to get good shots but it beats out in the cold. Although I really really like both - the Peerless Sunburst seems lighter and has a thinner neck. The new blondie feels stouter but not really to the point of being chunkie or hunkie. Both really nice to play but I gravitate towards the thinner neck. I haven't had much amp time with either so can't really compare the tone yet. For some reason it won't take the 2nd (sunburst) so I'll try posting it below in a reply.

I don't know if they are anniversary. As I remember on the bottom when I popped them out they just said Dimarzio DP196 (neck) and DP197(bridge). The short time I had with an amp my impression of neck pup was warm & woody. I guess I'd like to try that Lollar Imperial medium wind to find if it brings those qualities out even more.

I don't know if they are anniversary. As I remember on the bottom when I popped them out they just said Dimarzio DP196 (neck) and DP197(bridge). The short time I had with an amp my impression of neck pup was warm & woody. I guess I'd like to try that Lollar Imperial medium wind to find if it brings those qualities out even more.

those dimarzio's you have get mighty fine reviews, fill us in on the lollar compare if you get a chance eh. i like the double cream look of the dimarzio's and since they have the trademark on double cream bobbins, ain't nobody else making them. but all signs point to them being very nice.

That's great news. I knew nothing about them. I kind of figured it was at least an upgrade. I think the guy in N.Y. was into it enough to remove the pickguard so he maybe knew what he wanted in a pup. Probably a jazz dude. In fact something seems to be guiding my hands around on those extended chords Ha! I'll get a Lollar Imperial & compare and if I like the Dimarzio better just put the Lollar on the blondie. Though I don't see myself playing two such similar guitars for long. I'll eventually probably choose but just can't do it yet.

Very nice pair of guitars. I like both finishes. What style of music do you play?

I can understand the limited amp time if you're a trucker. Have you looked into something like the Rockman or Vox Amplug? Not quite the same as a real amp but it gives you something portable to jam with and wouldn't take up much space in the rig. Just a thought.

I use a Tascam Trainer in the truck and it has amp sims but of course is not a fair reference. Through the trainer though it seems like the Epi pup in the new blonde has a lot more power (kind of like the humbucker on my '76 335) but doesn't really bring out the personality of the guitar nearly as much as the Dimarzio. The style I play has varied through the years. I was a country/swing pedal steel player through the country music scare of the '80s. Before that I was R&B and a bit of jazz. Now I'm getting back into jazz & digging out a lot of old stuff from my GIT days in the '70s. Jeez I must be old now!

Yes I'll be dropping these two gems off asap. I've got a little "Memphis" I plug into the trainer on the road. It's really disposable junk but with a decent playable neck & it fits neatly up in a cupboard. That trainer is the most useful toy I've bought in years.

Archived