Gibson Brands Forums

More f hole label typo's

Fattonyffc

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so would be grateful for your help. I'm negotiating to buy a secondhand Epiphone Emperor Swingster Royale in black (I believe it's a limited edition). The only problem is the label. It says "Swingter". Now I know the Indonesian labels have had a number of spelling issues but I have not found any reference to this particular typo. The guitar was purchased new from a reputable dealer but I'm still very concerned that it may be a fake. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I would think in most cases these labels are being filled out by a non-English speaking person (or ESL at best). Just think if you had to copy a Chinese symbol without any knowledge of what you were actually writing.

I'd say they're doing pretty good if there are only a "few" typos, and in the case in question, only missed one letter.

whats the serial# look like?oh and you might want to look around in different forum topics to learn how to read the serial.beautiful guitar though i played one in a shop a couple years ago,i really wanted it.

whats the serial# look like?oh and you might want to look around in different forum topics to learn how to read the serial.beautiful guitar though i played one in a shop a couple years ago,i really wanted it.

Serial no. checks out (2012 Indonesia) and looks ok. To be honest the guitar looks great with none of the finishing issues that you might expect from a fake. The paint has a black, slightly pearlescent finish with silver sparkle binding. And as I said it originally comes from a well known music store. Probably worrying too much.

I would think in most cases these labels are being filled out by a non-English speaking person (or ESL at best). Just think if you had to copy a Chinese symbol without any knowledge of what you were actually writing.

I'd say they're doing pretty good if there are only a "few" typos, and in the case in question, only missed one letter.

No problem with a worker making a small error, anyone can do that even in a language they know. I know I frequently do just that. However, spotting stuff like that IS a quality control issue for Epiphone that can lead to buyers like me being unsure of the legitimacy of the product they want to purchase. Hence the enquiry. In this case it's a few hundred pounds sterling at stake but if my 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard had the same issue I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole.

That's one fine looking guitar. I don't see anything to make me think it's a fake, it looks like normal Epi fare to me.

How are the pickups? I've never played one of those before. I love the looks of them.

If I get the chance to give them a proper workout I'll let you know. Fingers crossed.

Holy crap that's a good looking guitar.

re: the label, it reminds me of the early 1960s Silvertone 1472 amp that had tremolo misspelled on the front controls. Those amps are quite coveted these days due to the spelling error.

mmw2XFi.jpg

Holy crap that's a good looking guitar.

re: the label, it reminds me of the early 1960s Silvertone 1472 amp that had tremolo misspelled on the front controls. Those amps are quite coveted these days due to the spelling error.

mmw2XFi.jpg

Well let's hope I'm the new owner of the first Epiphone Emperor Sphincter Swingter Swingster Royale!!! 😳

That's one fine looking guitar. I don't see anything to make me think it's a fake, it looks like normal Epi fare to me.

How are the pickups? I've never played one of those before. I love the looks of them.

I've got a White Royale.

The pickups are actually surprisingly excellent for an import (pickups are made in China)

The tone pots are push / pull. IN the pups are out of phase (gives ya that twangy sound that you'd get out of a Gretch)

pull them UP and that engages the humbucker setting. (they sound very PAFish) I do like the array of tones you can get out of them, and they are pretty good about resisting feedback.

For the money, it's quite nice.

the only thing I'm not nutz about,, they have a gold flake (think gold sparkle) binding on the white royale.. it's a little hard to see the black neck position markers in low light. not a problem unless your jumping around on the neck.. I've made a few bad "jumps" [blush]

I've got a White Royale.

The pickups are actually surprisingly excellent for an import (pickups are made in China)

The tone pots are push / pull. IN the pups are out of phase (gives ya that twangy sound that you'd get out of a Gretch)

pull them UP and that engages the humbucker setting. (they sound very PAFish) I do like the array of tones you can get out of them, and they are pretty good about resisting feedback.

For the money, it's quite nice.

the only thing I'm not nutz about,, they have a gold flake (think gold sparkle) binding on the white royale.. it's a little hard to see the black neck position markers in low light. not a problem unless your jumping around on the neck.. I've made a few bad "jumps" [blush]

Thanks for the pickup review. I've been considering a trip to GC to look around and will try one if they've got them in stock.

OH YEAH!!! I am indeed the proud owner of my first Epiphone - the EESSSR. Let me tell you it plays as good as it looks. I haven't had the chance to run it though anything other than a practice amp just yet but I've already had lots of fun.

Thanks far all the help.

Tony

Archived