Gibson Brands Forums

For Loving Me / Did She Mention My Name

drathbun

I've just finished recording a cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "For Loving Me / Did She Mention My Name".

For Loving Me / Did She Mention My Name

Lightfoot put these two songs together into a medley for "Gord's Gold". The other medley on that album is "I'm Not Sayin' / Ribbon of Darkness".

I find both medleys very interesting in Lightfoot's ability to see his own personal character and comment honestly on it in his music. Both medleys contrast two facets of his personality (at the time I expect). One, the Lothario, the other, the repentant and lonely ex-lover. In the "I'm Not Sayin' / Ribon of Darkness" he quite literally goes from saying "I can't promise to be true but I'll try" straight into the next song where "ribbon of darkness over me, since my true love walked out the door". I wonder why!?

In "For Loving Me / Did She Mention My Name" he says "I'll have a hundred more like you, so don't be blue" and in the next song wonders if his old love still asks about him in a melancholy reflection on his lost home town. I find Lightfoot's poetry and imagery to be economical and beautifully evocative. In a few beautifully phrased lines, he can paint a very strong image; as in "Song For a Winter's Night" (appropriate these days).

Song For A Winter's Night

The smoke is rising in the shadows overhead,

My glass is almost empty.

I read again between the lines upon each page,

The words of love you sent me.

I'm always fascinated by the reception these songs get from women. Songs like "If You Could Read My Mind" are all about how he has lost all of his love and desire for the woman he is with and feels like he is a a chained ghost haunting an old castle in an old time movie. And yet, it is considered a romantic love song. Perhaps people don't listen to the words?? Whatever... I love his music and will be seeing him again here in Calgary this Fall!

Recording Details (For Loving Me / Did She Mention My Name):

Gibson Songwriter (fingerstyle)

Taylor GA12 (12 string rhythm)

Yamaha FG150 (lead acoustic)

Bass, Drums, Strings - Roland MIDI samples

Recorded in Sonar X2

Mastered in Sony Forge Pro 10

Very nice production. I am still baffled at how one records multi-track and layers in MIDI samples. I have a shoebox of one and two line lyrics, and a few little guitar parts rattling around my head - never thought of perhaps stringing some together into a medley - not easy to do well. Thanks for taking all the time to record this and post. [thumbup]

Way to go, Doug. I admire anyone who feels solid on covering a Lightfoot tune. They sound so easy on the surface, but for myself are a real challenge. He has always existed via tempo & air around those lyrics. And, I've always found it really difficult not to hurry his songs. Wish I could create the images that guy has done for so long. I can tell you have a good time putting yourself into the tunes. Good for you on your latest endeavor!

Steve

Thanks for all the comments!

flatbaroque: You're probably thinking of the Canadian Railroad Trilogy. He was commissioned by the Canadian government to write the song in celebration of Canada's 100th birthday in 1967. I play it in my "set" and it is 7 minutes long - quite a workout. I've been planning to record that one but it is a massive undertaking with all the time signature and tempo changes.

duluthdan: Some of the details about MIDI recording still baffle me. I have a process that seems to get the MIDI information translated to waveform through my Roland (Edirol) plugins but don't ask me about patching banks and channels. I find public domain MIDI files of the songs I want to cover to mine them for the drum, keyboard, bass and orchestral parts. If the song is obscure enough, the MIDI file has to be purchased through a pay site. Then it is the matter of pumping (patching) each MIDI track through a synthesizer (Edirol plugin in Sonar) and listening to each track to set the sound you want (ie rhodes piano or concert grand etc). Once I have the sound I want for that track, the track is "bounced" (copied) into a wave form track that can be mixed together with recorded audio tracks. There are so many settings I that I haven't a clue about when it comes to the MIDI. But, once it is in waveform, I can dump all the MIDI tracks and not worry about it again.

hallgroper: This is one of the reasons I find a MIDI drum track for the song. Then when I'm playing along, it is a click track in my headphones and it keeps me from rushing. Although, Lightfoot's Canadian Railroad Trilogy is meant to increase in speed like a train.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGiYI3ercf8

Doug - Understood. I labor sometimes because Lightfoot will vary tempo throughout his songs.

I agree! Although the worst singer/songwriter for varying tempo during a song is Don MacLean! Ever try to copy his "And I Love You So" or "Starry Starry Night"? Wow! [cursing]

Nice recordings. You've definitely got the "Gord Sound" going-on....I particularly like the songs you picked. I believe they really do represent who he was at the time. He's a folksinger and many of his songs are very personal.......He has always been on my top two or three list. Last time I saw him was several years ago at an outdoor theater. He was awesome. [thumbup]

Nice recordings. You've definitely got the "Gord Sound" going-on....I particularly like the songs you picked. I believe they really do represent who he was at the time. He's a folksinger and many of his songs are very personal.......He has always been on my top two or three list. Last time I saw him was several years ago at an outdoor theater. He was awesome. [thumbup]

Thanks MP! I have to get around to recording "I'm Not Sayin' / Ribbon of Darkness". That pairing is classic too! I hope I'm still playin' when I'm his age.

• 3 weeks later...

"Canadian Railway Trilogy" on Gord's Gold.

FMA

Yeah. Said that already thanks! :)

flatbaroque: You're probably thinking of the Canadian Railroad Trilogy. He was commissioned by the Canadian government to write the song in celebration of Canada's 100th birthday in 1967

Thanks livemusic!

I was out with my wife at a restaurant last night. In the lounge next door it was Karaoke night and there was some truly horrible wailing going on. As we sat down in the booth furthest from the din, I said to my wife "OMG I hope I don't sound like that!" She said no and that she loved the sound of my voice. But she loves me so you're never quite sure. So hearing it from someone I don't know really helps me keep going. Thanks again for the boost! :)

Archived