Gibson Brands Forums

My take on the J-200 standard - questions

Country-Rocker

Hi All,

I am really taken with the idea of getting a new sunburst J-200. I have played a few different ones and I have came to a few conclusions. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

A) The tone and volume seem to be less in your face. It has almost faraway quality to it, like it projects it as opposex to putting it all right in front on you. I found it very easy to sing with due to this. I agree with Chris Issak it has a very good range for singing.

B) The sound w as tight and spot on without being too compressed. Like Pete Townshend has said....you cannot top it out.

C) I found that a light touch wiyh a pick produced very intoxicating tone e.g. Melissa by The Allman brothers..My Sweet Lord by George Harrison. The J-200 shimmers without breakng up. I found I could hear the complex notes in every chord.

D) I did not feel it was much bigger than a regulat Gibson dreadnaught as the body has that classic grand auditorium h i hump in it. I had just as much trouble reaching over a J-45 and Hummingbird as the J-200.

E) This model really nails country, rockabilly and country-rock. I suspect it has been used on many a famous recording while the artist played something different live. Everything I played on a J200 sounded spot on and just like the recording. This is a rare quality in a guitar.

F) The J-200 really got my voice into gear within a few mintues of playing..an Emmylou Harris kind of higher pitch. mind blowing

Do the newer pickguards rub off like the older ones?

Thanks,

Freddie

Hi All,

I am really taken with the idea of getting a new sunburst J-200. I have played a few different ones and I have came to a few conclusions. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

A) The tone and volume seem to be less in your face. It has almost faraway quality to it, like it projects it as opposex to putting it all right in front on you. I found it very easy to sing with due to this. I agree with Chris Issak it has a very good range for singing.

B) The sound w as tight and spot on without being too compressed. Like Pete Townshend has said....you cannot top it out.

C) I found that a light touch wiyh a pick produced very intoxicating tone e.g. Melissa by The Allman brothers..My Sweet Lord by George Harrison. The J-200 shimmers without breakng up. I found I could hear the complex notes in every chord.

D) I did not feel it was much bigger than a regulat Gibson dreadnaught as the body has that classic grand auditorium h i hump in it. I had just as much trouble reaching over a J-45 and Hummingbird as the J-200.

E) This model really nails country, rockabilly and country-rock. I suspect it has been used on many a famous recording while the artist played something different live. Everything I played on a J200 sounded spot on and just like the recording. This is a rare quality in a guitar.

F) The J-200 really got my voice into gear within a few mintues of playing..an Emmylou Harris kind of higher pitch. mind blowing

Do the newer pickguards rub off like the older ones?

Thanks,

Freddie

Freddie

I would agree with your tone assessment but one thing you missed (Or I missed reading) is the harder you play the J200 the more it gives you in volume!

I don't think you can go wrong with a J200 especially since you want the best finish on it [thumbup]

Here is a picture or three of mine to help your decision making process along.

14332e99-bb43-4fdb-a73f-0a8810f96e81.jpg

back.png

neck-rear.png

This is a 2002 model that I've only owned for a few months, but can attest to the fact that its been well played. You can see that the lower section of the pick guard is showing a bit of wear. This is an engraved pick guard, hand-painted, I think.

j2007_zpsd6ea3693.jpg

I own two of them.

A standard and a custom RW.

The only suggestion I have is make sure you play it before you buy it because I think these models vary from factory more than the other models and finding the 'one' may take a little work unless you luck out.

Dave-

That is one scary looking guitar face. The dead-on lighting only puts the image over the top even more. And the directionality of the inlay on the bridge... 'never seen one better.

Still have any of those Braz super jumbos laying around? See if a photo of one of those can top this one.

Archived