Gibson Brands Forums

Overdrive Pedals

Hthomas

the best thing you can do is bring ur gear to a shop and test out all their pedals...we can suggest every single overdrive pedal ever made and you still will be in the same place but this time around you know names of hundreds of pedals that other people prefer.

test it out yourself to find your sound and you won't regret it in the end.

I've been using a Jetter Gainstage Blue lately.

You can get your "white boy" blues sound with the gain rolled off and volume pushed up...reverse that and run the gain up and the volume back a little and you've got some heavy (smashing pumpkins worthy) fuzz.

and...phil has a very good point.

yhst-50206111187217_2029_1478467

Take a listen to the above, that's "Quiet" from Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream record. It's an original Eric Clapton strat with Lace Sensors and a Les Paul Custom, both through the clean channel of a JCM800 head and 4X12 Cabinet. The Big Muff is used for the distortion with the tone knob turned all the way down for this particular song.

I found this very raw... Little Story... Was using DS1.. Forgot to smack it off when i hit the SD1..First it was like WOAH OUCH MY EARS.. But upon turning the DS1 down I got a Heavy Grunge sound.... Wish I wrote down the settings... Probably not the most efficient way to get the sound because of the 2 pedals but it was pretty cool...

I use a Digitech Bad Monkey. Its cheap, is based on a tubescreamer and sounds great into my Bassman RI. If it ever broke I'd buy another. Boutique pedals are fine but the Bad Monkey sounds just as good imo and is a bargain (and fit for heavy gigging).

I use a Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer and Boss ML-2 Metal Core for heavier distortion' date=' they both work great.[/quote']

I mentioned this in another thread but I use a Zoom G2. I've got a great Tube Screamer sound set in it as well as a straight Marshall Guv'nor patch.

3165457552_e93846228f.jpg

Yeah, the guv´nor is a cool pedal but thats more a marshall vintage amp simulator (it change your amp sound in a marshall vintage amp sound....

Or on a marshall it is a cool booster but i know a better one : A fulltone fulldrive 2 its an awsome pedal and it costs 200 $

Does anyone recomend any certain overdrive pedal?

I'm looking for something that will give my marshall 50 watt a great boost. something that will make it sound more grunge even with the gain turned all the way up.

any ideas?

Much like RichCI said about the beano boost: I wonder how many times I'm going to say this before someone acutally tries it and comes back to say, wow that's perfect! (which you are correct about beano RichCI)

EQ - MXR 10 Band, Empress ParaEQ, or a rackmount.

They give you it all - tone adjusment, does metal no prob in an fx loop... boost to drive the tubes harder than the amp does on its own, and versatility when you want to change.

Archived