Gibson Brands Forums

Maple top thickness?

Crashtm1

The maple (definitely maple but no guarantees how many pieces or actually what type of maple) cap on my LP is 5/8" at the thickest point with a 1/8th" flame maple veneer.

Depending on year/location/spec cap may or may not exist, can be various wood species, WILL have a veneer.

All the above may be subject to change.

• 3 weeks later...

So, if I understand correctly..

The Epi's will have a 5/8" cap of varying species, and a 1/8" veneer over that..(for the beauty effect)..??

No - it would probably be more correct to say

The Epi LP may have a cap somewhere in the region of 5/8" thickness of varying species, and will have an approximately 1/8" veneer over that..(for the beauty effect).

Like their GIbson counterparts some LP models will be solid 'mahogany' (note the quotes) with no cap.

Anyone know what the thickness is on the les Paul, night hawk etc. Epiphones?

Is it just a veneer or is there some substance there ?

I recall fromthe early days of the forum that the cap was 1/2" maple and a veneer of 1/16", maybe even as thin as 1/32".

I recall fromthe early days of the forum that the cap was 1/2" maple and a veneer of 1/16", maybe even as thin as 1/32".

Like I said in my previous posts

Seriously though I guess it depends on where you measure it and how accurately . Using my verniers the cap - on my LP - measures up at just a tad under 5/8" (measured to where I perceive the join) and the the veneer (allowing for the poly) is a touch over 1/16" so, on the basis that my previous measurements were taken using a steel rule, my statement is still valid.

If you want to be completely pedantic about it I'll happily use a lupe and try and give a definitive set of measurements at a specific point on the guitar at a specific temperature and humidity to 3 decimal places!

Won't tell s**t about the exact dimensions of anyone else's guitar unless we know the manufacturing tolerances used by Epiphone at the factory, the temperature and humidity levels at the point of measurement, and the calibration of the measurement tools relative to those used by me.

Might go a tiny way towards killing the myth that ALL Epiphone LP's have no cap and just a veneer though.

On a side note - What is this big thing that guitarists have about veneers?

I recently had the opportunity to be present at the private sale of a staggeringly beautiful 17th Century piece of furniture. It finally went under the hammer for £540,000 and part of the catalogue description stated that English oak frame was finished with superbly figured walnut veneers.

At no point did I hear anyone present state that the use of veneer made it a lower quality piece in fact much of the discussion centered on the quality of the veneering.

Like I said in my previous posts

Seriously though I guess it depends on where you measure it and how accurately . Using my verniers the cap - on my LP - measures up at just a tad under 5/8" (measured to where I perceive the join) and the the veneer (allowing for the poly) is a touch over 1/16" so, on the basis that my previous measurements were taken using a steel rule, my statement is still valid.

If you want to be completely pedantic about it I'll happily use a lupe and try and give a definitive set of measurements at a specific point on the guitar at a specific temperature and humidity to 3 decimal places!

Won't tell s**t about the exact dimensions of anyone else's guitar unless we know the manufacturing tolerances used by Epiphone at the factory, the temperature and humidity levels at the point of measurement, and the calibration of the measurement tools relative to those used by me.

Might go a tiny way towards killing the myth that ALL Epiphone LP's have no cap and just a veneer though.

On a side note - What is this big thing that guitarists have about veneers?

I recently had the opportunity to be present at the private sale of a staggeringly beautiful 17th Century piece of furniture. It finally went under the hammer for £540,000 and part of the catalogue description stated that English oak frame was finished with superbly figured walnut veneers.

At no point did I hear anyone present state that the use of veneer made it a lower quality piece in fact much of the discussion centered on the quality of the veneering.

Nice rant!

I was answering the original poster's query to the best of my knowledge, not for an instant doubting your measurements.

My Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus Outfit has a massive maple cap like my Gibsons do, looking just the same thickness when viewing the cutaway. There also is no glue joint to be seen within this area. Comparing pickup routings will lead to practically same results, i. e. centre-seamed with small tolerances in thickness. The very difference is the Epiphone LP's breathtakingly gorgeous top veneer.

Scrutinizing the ribs reveals that the mahogany body of that same Epiphone Les Paul obviously consists of five planks. There is a mahogany veneer on the back which also looks incredibly nice. "Plus Outfit" seems to say twice veneered for looks ;) The Gibson Les Paul guitars of mine are one piece backed.

Two more flame maple top veneered guitars are parts of my arsenal. There is nothing wrong with veneers, except that lots of them look "too beautiful"... [biggrin] ... including those of mine [lol]

I don't have a problem with veneers at all. Beautiful pieces guys and gals.

Do you think the veneer has the spank that solid maple has?

Personally, I don't think once you get past a 1/4" that there is much difference. (Not talking acoustics)

I'm not much for effecting my tone , so I've always had an ear for different woods and their tonal differences.

Nice rant!

I was answering the original poster's query to the best of my knowledge, not for an instant doubting your measurements.

Glad you appreciated it msp_biggrin.gif

Another rule to add to the one which says 'Don't go on Ebay when drinking' - 'Don't respond to posts when you just had your ear bent by the wife' - LOL

Any glue joint will increase the overall stiffness, but in case 1/4 to 5/8 inches of massive wood will be topped using a 1/32 or 1/16 inch bent veneer of basically same kind of timber, I don't think there is much difference in tone.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but most recent Epi LP's do not have a maple cap under the top veneer. The "cap," if present at all, is more likely to be alder than maple --- only the veneer, whether flamed, plain or quilted, is maple.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but most recent Epi LP's do not have a maple cap under the top veneer. The "cap," if present at all, is more likely to be alder than maple --- only the veneer, whether flamed, plain or quilted, is maple.

no buzzkill for me, as long as the p'ups and electronics are good, by the time my tone leaves the speaker, i've forgotten all about the wood.

When you say 'recent' are you referring to current production, 2013, last couple of years or what?

(serious question)

Archived