Gibson Brands Forums

Building your own amp

RichCI

Any of you guys do that? I was toying with the idea several years ago and even bought some books; I'm great with logic but suck at math. There's a web site called AX84 that has lots of projects rated by skill level, even for the total beginner. The AX84 P1-eXtreme Tube Guitar Amplifier looks like a great one to start with and something I can actually make good use of at home after it's put together.

Thing is, I live in an apartment with not a lot of extra space and I don't think I'll have the room to work on something like this for a few weeks without inconveniencing my girlfriend. Any apartment dwellers ever take on one of these projects? Any tips or general advice that I could use?

Thanks!

I'm in the planning process for building an amp now. There are a few different web sites that sell kits and have forums where the guys are willing to help you.

Here are a few links - but there are more out there, these are the ones I've heard have great amp kits and support via the owners and forums

CeriaTone

I'm considering the OverTone Special kit

Brown Note Amps

I'm considering the Dlite 22

Mission Amps

This one is close to my home and a copy of the 5E3 Fender Delux is easier than the two above (both copies of Dumble overdrive special) so this may be the place for a newbie to start

GabKits

This is a site for cabinets, but also check out the Amp Garage link. Gabi has posted YouTube videos of building an amp that is extremely helpful.

Forums: All of these are helpful!!

Brown Note Forum

CeriaTone Forum

This one below is limited to building Train Wrecks and Dumble clones, but helpful to read what they have to say no matter what type of amp you build.

The Amp Garage

The most important thing - Amps contain parts with LETHAL voltages so be very careful.

I haven't because I'm too lazy and high voltages frighten me - but I have a buddy who has soldered up his own amps and has helped me mod some of mine. I think the single ended EL84 amp would be the easiest way to start. Plus it makes for a nice low wattage apartment amp as you mentioned. I have seem some other designs that use one 6V6 or EL34. A bit louder I am sure, but nice small screamers. Check out sewatt.com - there are a lot of amp builder types there willing to share designs and advice.

RichCI,

a lot of the how to is out there for you to get. You could buy kits and go from there.

There's so much information out there, and you admit that you already have some books on the subject. You can do it.

At TDPRI Forum there's an "Amp Central" forum with all kinds of info and demonstrations of modifications and what not. I leaned you might need to buy radio chasis punch sets, a soldering iron, a good volt-ohm meter, and of course the electronic components and hardware.

As far as the math goes, much of that is Ohm's Law, and that's simple mathematics.

When I was doing the research before I bought my Gibson Goldtone Les Paul Jr. Amplifier, I learned a lot about Class-A amps. As you know much of the classic sounding amps were built on these designs.

I guess what I'm saying is you could do if you have the time, resources and dedication.

I say go for it.

I haven't because I'm too lazy and high voltages frighten me - but I have a buddy who has soldered up his own amps and has helped me mod some of mine. I think the single ended EL84 amp would be the easiest way to start. Plus it makes for a nice low wattage apartment amp as you mentioned. I have seem some other designs that use one 6V6 or EL34. A bit louder I am sure' date=' but nice small screamers. Check out sewatt.com - there are a lot of amp builder types there willing to share designs and advice.

yeah for apt you want something small. I've not checked out sewatt.com.

You would probably want to start with a 5watt champ like the 5F1 tweed or a BF amp as these are easier to build and lower volume.

Any of you guys do that? I was toying with the idea several years ago and even bought some books; I'm great with logic but suck at math. There's a web site called AX84 that has lots of projects rated by skill level' date=' even for the total beginner. The AX84 P1-eXtreme Tube Guitar Amplifier looks like a great one to start with and something I can actually make good use of at home after it's put together.

Thing is, I live in an apartment with not a lot of extra space and I don't think I'll have the room to work on something like this for a few weeks without inconveniencing my girlfriend. Any apartment dwellers ever take on one of these projects? Any tips or general advice that I could use?

Thanks!

I don't see the lack of space being that much of an issue, as long as you don't drag out the process too long.

If you just want to build a head, it should go pretty quickly. Just make sure you have all your parts on hand before starting the build.

In other words, have your plan together, then get the work done without too much screwing around during the build. I don't think your girl will mind, especially when you explain how much money you are saving by doing it yourself. ;)

I live in a condo with my wife, her daughter and the SIL, so space is an issue here too, but I always manage to make room for some projects. Amp and guitar mods, that kind of stuff. They know the mess will be short lived, so they don't mind.

Buying a complete kit with high quality components would be a must for me. Still I stuck to modyfing my Epiphone Valve Junior and my Fender Champ. It is a lot less work.

I saw a GA-5 for sale this weekend $250. I was tempted but I do not need another amp.

If I personally was going to take on building an amp it would be a Marshall 20 watt head, they sell the kit on several places. Those Marshall clone kits Metropoulos have for sale look great but that is a big *** project IMO.

I don't see the lack of space being that much of an issue' date=' as long as you don't drag out the process too long.

If you just want to build a head, it should go pretty quickly. Just make sure you have all your parts on hand before starting the build.

In other words, have your plan together, then get the work done without too much screwing around during the build. I don't think your girl will mind, especially when you explain how much money you are saving by doing it yourself. ;)

I live in a condo with my wife, her daughter and the SIL, so space is an issue here too, but I always manage to make room for some projects. Amp and guitar mods, that kind of stuff. They know the mess will be short lived, so they don't mind. [/quote']

+1 for most of this

You definately want a plan and have all of the parts prior to beginning. If you don't buy a kit that means you have to source the items yourself and for a lot of amps (with more components - caps, resistors etc...) all the parts may not be sold in one place - you may have to buy from multiple sources. therefore you will rack up a lot of shipping charges.

So you may or may not save that much money. On the other hand for example, I want a Dumble amp but those amps cost around $40,000 so to buy a kit that sounds similar for around $1000 would be saving money. Then again, buying a Champ already built will probably be cheaper. This build is for the satisfaction of building.

I'm not sure what the 18watt Marshalls go for, but Ceriatone has a kit that you can build and my guess is it would probably be about the same, perhaps cheaper to build with the kit. Sourcing the parts yourself would probably cost you more.

Oh and building the head is the same process and components including the chassis as building a combo.

Thanks, guys, especially for the links.

I might just give this a try. There are some kits that can be bought from a site endorsed by AX84 that includes everything except a cabinet to put it in so that might be the way to go.

Thing is' date=' I live in an apartment with not a lot of extra space and I don't think I'll have the room to work on something like this for a few weeks without inconveniencing my girlfriend. Any apartment dwellers ever take on one of these projects? Any tips or general advice that I could use?

Thanks![/quote']

GREAT ADVICE, DON'T TRY BUILDING YOUR OWN IF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT INCONVENIENCE WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND, WITHOUT FIRST PURCHASING HER A STANDBY BUTTON.

Then you are seriously lacking in a fundamental familiarity of the female anatomy if you think I can purchase her a standby switch. But why should I be surprised by that lack of familiarity?

I thought you were asking about tips making your girlfriend.

Archived