Gibson Brands Forums

when is the "old friend" too old?

NHTom

I was just reading the thread about you "old best friend" or "go-to" guitar........

I got thinking about mine and realized it is my 85 Explorer designer series.......but, I play it less and less as it is getting some serious wear.

It has tons of road dings, non-original pickups and a trem that may or may not have been added.

I believe it has been re-fretted at least once in its life.

For some reason, I'm afraid of bringing it in for another re-fret. It plays so well (worn frets and all) and is "perfect" in my eyes. In all my years and all my guitars, I've never had one re-fretted, so I don't know what to expect?

Looking for advice.

I love it so much, I don't want to "mess it up" by having work done, but it's so worn, that I play it less and less to preserve what's left of it.........so I'm not getting to enjoy it as much any more...........what to do, what to do?

Is it a matter of getting them to match the existing frets exactly and it will play the same just without the wear spots?

thanks,

NHTom

If it still plays well I would keep playing it. I actually like the frets worn and flat. If they get so low that the guitar starts to fret out then I would look at getting them leveled but if you can't hear any issues and your hands still love the neck then play that mother.

I'd get it re-fretted.

Find a good luthier and explain the type of fret - feel you would prefer.

This type of thing is what they do for a living. A good luthier will not ruin your guitar. Quite the contrary.

I've only had one guitar re-fretted; my 1940's Antoine DiMauro arch-top f-hole Gypsy Jazzer.

Before the work was carried out the instrument was - literally - unplayable.

The remedial work involved remove old frets; plane the ebony 'board level end-to-end (which was the real problem); radius the 'board; re-fret and crown.

After my #1 LP it's now my most-played guitar.

It's c. 70 years old and I'll bet it's never 'played' better in it's life.

P.

It has been leveled a few times.....I think that is what I love about it....the low/flat frets, but now there are some pretty deep grooves that a level won't cure......

I guess I'll just keep playing until it starts getting weird and buzzing then deal with it.

Tom

... It plays so well (worn frets and all) and is "perfect" in my eyes.

I guess I'll just keep playing until it starts getting weird and buzzing then deal with it.

I think you have answered yourself well. Sounds like you have a great playing guitar, so play it until it's not a great playing guitar and then deal with the re-fret. [thumbup]

I have "retired" one guitar due to the original build being worn out. Through hundreds and hundreds of gigs, I literally played my early 70's 335 to death. The frets were completely worn out and unserviceable, and the ABR-1 had fatigued and caved in to a downward arch instead of the proper upward arch. This guitar was tired and had had enough as a "player".

Of course it was repairable (I did have the original bridge re-arched), but the value of the guitar was double in "as-is" condition and 100% original, versus replacement parts and re-fret. I chose to sell it to finance a replacement. I sold it for 4-times what I had paid for it, and in the mean time it had made me thousands of dollars along the way.

I gladly took the cash and bought a new "Historic Series" 345.

Your results and opinions may vary!

I have 2 that could use new frets, and one that REALLY needs new frets, and there's absolutely no-one within 75 mi. one way that does this.

when they become unplayable, one by one, i'll tackle the jobs myself.

Tom.....play that sucker, then get it re-fretted.....it's too good a guitar to let "sit" in a corner !!

You are all right.........just went in to play it and yeah........I can't leave it alone......

As stated above, I'm just going to play it like I stole it......lol.

Something about a big ol slab of wood with a dimarzio super distortion in it is too good to pass up.

NHTom

post-54901-038328200 1394404365_thumb.jpg

You are all right.........just went in to play it and yeah........I can't leave it alone......

As stated above, I'm just going to play it like I stole it......lol.

Something about a big ol slab of wood with a dimarzio super distortion in it is too good to pass up.

NHTom

The frets of the 1978 S-G and Ibanez RG430 of mine look very close to those you pictured.

Archived