Gibson Brands Forums

Isn't MSRP..just such BS

RowdyMoon

You see it on all ( or most) the music websites....it's just such a bs marketing ploy to make you think your getting such a deal from theses places......Just trying to find info on some tubes I got for my amp..and come across these sites saying MSRP $130....our price $ 40....ooooh ahhhhh y'all so generous I feel so special now cause your saving me money........ [flapper] ..ok mindless rant over!!

Actually IMHO MSRP is mostly of value in comparing prices within a given company's similar offerings - as in Gibson MSRP should give an idea of "real" prices of one instrument compared to another. A $2,000 list may sell for $1,500 street, but unless something's odd going on, you can figure that the $3,000 instrument will go for about $2,200... Call it pecking order if you will.

m

My best friend managed a large music store for many years. The store owner's rule of thumb...100% mark up, If something cost them $250...they would charge $500. If you had a trade in they might come down $100...making you think you got a deal. They still made money and had your trade in for basically no cost to them. Then they would turn around and sell it for whatever they wanted (within reason). They would also offer less for older guitars... because they were old. The average person would go along with it...because the guitar was indeed old. They often equated guitars with used cars. The older they are they less they are worth. HA!! Only players knew that was baloney.

I think standard MSRP is 40% higher than what stores actually sell it for... So take 40% off as a starting point when you are trying to get a good deal...

Indeed...when I worked at a local music store, if a customer wanted to "special order" something we didn't have in our inventory or on our site, the rule was "Find MSRP online, charge 60% of it. If you're giving a deal, don't go below 40%(cost)"

-Ryan

Its all Psychological. You never get a deal when it comes to buying anything. You may pay less sometimes then the other guy is charging, but never a deal. Its all thought out and sellers know what they are doing. Like I said, its all psychological, and we fall for that mess.

I love what Guitar Center does. Its a great psychological ploy, that many people fall for. They say something is on sale(which it isnt), say a guitar, they supposedly take 10 percent off, but ad tax, and the cost of a case(which is suppose to coe with Fender, Gibson, etc). Its all added back. Its genious I tell you.

Archived