Gibson Brands Forums

wish I had some cash !!

blindboygrunt

Looks like the plastic bridge. I'm not a fan of those mid-60's cherry-finished J-45's, but someone who is a Donovan fan could really get off on this guitar. It has Em7's favorite saddle, too.

I don't think 60s j45s are worth the extra scratch over new ones honestly. So I'm not a fan either. And they got those giant tone robbing pickguards :P

Looks like the plastic bridge. I'm not a fan of those mid-60's cherry-finished J-45's, but someone who is a Donovan fan could really get off on this guitar. It has Em7's favorite saddle, too.

I was going to say the same thing. A plastic bridge is easily dealt with but I really do not like those bursts and when combined with the skinny butt neck not even a teensy weensy bit tempted.

It looks as if it could be a pretty fair deal and the guitar may very well be a hit.

I like the cherryburst a lot, also on 45, but prefer them more faded.

Not exactly my favorite - can't have that on me ,-)

, , , but you wouldn't hear me reject porcelain before actually trying the particular ex.

Simply have met too many that sounded too good for that, , , both on records and between these 2 hands here. . .

I was going to say the same thing. A plastic bridge is easily dealt with but I really do not like those bursts and when combined with the skinny butt neck not even a teensy weensy bit tempted.

The bridge was swapped out for rosewood per text (note inlays, not seen on the plastic bridge), while the ceramic adjustable saddle was retained. Also, as a '62, the neck should be 1-11/16" at the nut.

I would absolutely be happy to take it for a test drive!

Not sure the skinny neck would suit ye, Stu. Would also be aware the plastic bridges *can* be a bit less of a 'rich tone' from what you're used to with the current 45.

I'd say 2.5K could buy you better, maybe not vintage better, but better nonetheless.

I havent got £2.50 PM , never mind 2500.

Is it defimately a skinny nut ?

And the bridge has been replaced , it says the plastic one is there but as an extra.

Just looks like a great example with a good break angle, so a neck set is beyond worry ( which is bound to be the main one with a guitar no?)

Then that burst makes me horny too

If you read the comments he answers a skinny neck question with a 'fuller than the woody Guthrie'

Woody Guthrie necks aren't skinny ? Mojo ?

Ah well. I'm not getting it anyway. Makes no odds if the neck is chocolate

That would be unusual. The modern Woody Guthrie necks were a Bozeman std neck for the time (2010-2011), I had one, was a nice neck not small in width or girth at all.

I would be surprised to see a guitar from that era that was more generous in the neck region than a modern Bozeman. But, you never know.....

That would be unusual. The modern Woody Guthrie necks were a Bozeman std neck for the time (2010-2011), I had one, was a nice neck not small in width or girth at all.

I would be surprised to see a guitar from that era that was more generous in the neck region than a modern Bozeman. But, you never know.....

I would not put a lot of credence into most owner evaluations of neck profile unless they happen to own a fair number of guitars for comparison.

The bridge was swapped out for rosewood per text (note inlays, not seen on the plastic bridge), while the ceramic adjustable saddle was retained. Also, as a '62, the neck should be 1-11/16" at the nut.

If it is a '62 then I believe the case is not original - Gibson started supplying those yellow lined cases with the small plaque around 1961.

May be a decent nut but the 1960-1962 Gibsons have the skinniest necks ever seen on an acoustic. Believe me I know - my wife plays a 1960 J-200. The neck is the reason I did not squawk when she claimed the guitar for her own. Plus it gave me a great excuse to go replace it which I did with a 1956 SJ.

Also to me the large laminate bridge plates on those guitars were as much of an issue as the bridge and saddle. Just another WTF were they thinking thing. As always, what is uder the hood is more important than what you see.

If it is a '62 then I believe the case is not original - Gibson started supplying those yellow lined cases with the small plaque around 1961.

I've never been too interested in cases, so my knowledge there is limited - but the guitar in question in post #1 is indeed in a yellow lined case (as opposed to the guitar in post #9).

Re necks - Zomby, in many posts, you have classified post-1964 Gibsons as having necks that are much too skinny to meet your preferences. Is this '62 (& early '60s Gibsons in general) being placed in a similar category? "Skinny butt neck" sure sounds like it!

I've never been too interested in cases, so my knowledge there is limited - but the guitar in question in post #1 is indeed in a yellow lined case (as opposed to the guitar in post #9).

Re necks - Zomby, in many posts, you have classified post-1964 Gibsons as having necks that are much too skinny to meet your preferences. Is this '62 (& early '60s Gibsons in general) being placed in a similar category? "Skinny butt neck" sure sounds like it!

I love those yellow lined cases - the suckers are heavy but it is because they are built like tanks. I do snap them up when I run across one on the cheap.

Gibson went to what they call the fast playing, low action neck or something like that in 1960. In 1965 when the company re-tooled and got new automatic neck machines they reduced the nut width to 1 9/16" or 1 5/8" depending on the model. This made the already slim necks feel even skinnier. 1965 is also the year they reduced the traditional headstock angle from 17 degrees to 14 degrees.

Now I ain't calling the skinny necks good or bad - just a matter of personal preference. You are either fer 'em or agin 'em. I am in the later category.

If you read the comments he answers a skinny neck question with a 'fuller than the woody Guthrie'

Woody Guthrie necks aren't skinny ? Mojo ?

Ah well. I'm not getting it anyway. Makes no odds if the neck is chocolate

I take it you're talking about nut width, Gruntfuttle? In which case, you are right, Woody Guthrie necks aren't skinny. They have the current standard 1.725 inch nut.

If you're talking neck profile, that's harder to answer. They market the Woody's neck as having a 'traditional V profile'. Supposedly different from the rounded profile on the J45 Standard, but I'm not sure there's any real difference. PM has owned both a Woody and a Standard 45, so can say more on that front, but I had my hands on a 45 Standard of similar age a few weeks ago and the neck didn't feel different from the Woody's at all. The J35 neck is perhaps a bit chunkier, but not massively. The only vintage Gibson I ever laid hands on was my guitar teacher's acoustic which was about 40 years old in the late '80s. So that was a 1940s neck, but post-banner. It's so long ago and so unrepeated that I have no memory of how it felt. Which means that I don't have a lot of experience which would allow me to make a historical comparison. What I would say is that the WG neck profile is not massively different from (and certainly not notably skinnier than) the 1959 Les Paul profile on my Howard Roberts. That is a reasonably chunky neck by Gibson electric standards, though not the chunkiest of '50s profiles I believe. The Woody gains a little extra girth over the Howard because of its wider nut. (Though I after weeks of Woody action, I'm always pleasantly surprised at how much girth the Howard has, so perhaps the Woody is slightly skinnier in some dimension.) Anyway, the Woody neck's no baseball bat, but it's definitely got presence.

Archived