Gibson Brands Forums

Ebay - good deal?

martinclevelandcarie

here is a 2007 J-45 on ebay for $1395. i am looking to trade for an acoustic like this. looking to trade my 1969 J-45 for something like this. here is the link. do you think this is a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-J45_W0QQitemZ160308277947QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item160308277947&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

here is a 2007 J-45 on ebay for $1395. i am looking to trade for an acoustic like this. looking to trade my 1969 J-45 for something like this. here is the link. do you think this is a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-J45_W0QQitemZ160308277947QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item160308277947&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it seems a little too good to be true. Or maybe they just need the dough.

Bummer that it doesn't come with a Gibson case. Looks nice, though.

Well it looks really nice. The store has its own website with this guitar listed on it. I would call them and talk! You may even get a better deal. As it is, its not too badly priced, and in my opinion has a better look the the current modern classic.

They "were" an authorized Gibson dealer until recently, so I presume this means no warranty? I think it's a couple hundred steep for a warranty-free guitar without a case. Not that its bad for a buy-it-now, its really not a bad deal if you really want this one and want it now. Just seems highish in this buyers market.

But on the flip side, you might have to bid against me if you dont buy it now. [-o< But dont worry, I wont go very high with no case. =P~

They "were" an authorized Gibson dealer until recently' date=' so I presume this means no warranty? [/quote']

Nope. Generally, if you buy from a formerly-authorized dealer, the guitar will be covered by the warranty.

The only potential issue in this case is that they're selling it on eBay. This violates the terms of their agreement with Gibson. They don't care, because they're no longer a Gibson dealer. But I believe Gibson would be within their rights to sue them, and to refuse you warranty coverage. Whether Gibson would actually do so is another question. Not to mention, how would they know you bought it on eBay? (Other than by reading this thread, that is. :-$ )

-- Bob R

But I believe Gibson would be within their rights to sue them, and to refuse you warranty coverage. Whether Gibson would actually do so is another question.

They may be within their legal rights to void any warranty. I would hope they wouldn't do that. That would put Gibson in the same class as 90% of the other businesses out there, whether it's a rebate, warranty work, "calling plans", extended warranties, you name it.... they offer something and then make the consumer walk a tightrope to GET it. One slip and the deal's off.

I've seen some pretty silly claims on this forum as it pertains to Gibson and their warranties; people with finish cracks on fifteen year old guitars, truss rods that need to be adjusted and people think they need to send it back to Bozeman free of charge for a tweak.... I'm waiting for someone to claim they don't like the sound and therefore Gibson should give them a new guitar under warranty.

On the other hand I'm waiting to hear if Gibson (or any other company) voids a warranty because the owner didn't use Masterbuilt Strings or they didn't store it in a climate controlled vault. I hope it doesn't come to that.

The way I see it, if you believe in your product enough, you will stand behind it. Not for stupid stuff like finish cracks but at the same time you won't be looking for an excuse to void it, like buying a Gibson from someone who's not in Henry's current "good book" or a dealer who refuses to stop using Norlin stationery.

In 1994 I bought a Super Leatherman. It went back three times because I broke the blades off. The last time I sent it in, the pliers were so loose they just gave me a new one. I also carry a Leatherman Squirt that I got in 2003. It went back because it broke and they replaced it. They believe in their product, they stand behind it, and they have a customer for life now. My daughther bought a cell phone and within a month it stopped working. She was walking down the street with her boyfriend and it started raining. She called me to come pick them up. The phone died. The company refused to replace or repair it because it got wet. They lost a customer for life.

I hope Gibson never uses the "fine print" to get out of a warranty repair.

Sometimes there's a big difference between doing what's legal and doing what's right.

KSD. Good point, very well made.

The world is obsessed with *** covering and legal proceedings, and is controlled by lawyers. No offence to

I'd like to think our trust in Gibson would never be misplaced.

There's a huge difference between an ordinary company and one that really stands out - we've all probably worked for and with both!

Archived