Gibson Brands Forums

Do I need to change the stock strings on an Epi les paul?

TravisMc

Hey guys,

I'm new to guitar and after an extensive search, I've finally found the perfect Les Paul for me.

My question is simple...being a new guitar, the fretboard is dry...and I'd like to oil it asap to keep it looking good. I should use bore oil right? I know the oil argument has been had a million times, but I hear bore oil is the best nowadays? Is there something better?

Back to the actual question, since I'll likely be taking the strings off to oil it, what strings should I put on? I've heard slinky's are good? Thoughts?

Last question: should I just leave well enough alone? How critical is it that I oil the fretboard right away? How long could I wait? Will it do damage?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Yes, I recommend you changing the stock strings. They came with 10s on them.

I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (10-46). But there are lots of fine brands out there. Try several out and see what you like best.

Same with what you put on your fretboard. There are lots of choices, and each person has there preference. I like Gerlitz Guitar Honey. I've been using this stuff for quite a few years and like the results. One tip, if I may; don't over do it on the oil, whatever you use. Apply conservatively.

honey_large.jpg

Epiphone Les Paul guitars come with very bright sounding .010" to .046" roundwound strings stock. In case you like the tone, nickel plated steel wounds should be fine. If you want it mellow, pure nickel wounds might be for you.

In the past I regularly treated rosewood fretboards with linseed stand oil but do nothing more like that since about fifteen years. The only exception has been polishing the black dye off of my Epiphone Les Paul's fretboard last year using Klever Ballistol vegetable gun oil.

You may want to just bring the guitar in for a set up. Often due to temperature and humidity changes from shipping and distribution, the wood can contract/expand and require some intonation changes.

When i bought my electric. i didn't particularly like the tone of the strings. A few months later, i changed to gibson strings, but didn't find it much better. But after that, i changed to D'addarios and loved them. however, this is because the D'addarios were steel/nickel and the others were pure nickel.

Hope I'm not confusing you here, but my point is that in terms of quality, i don't think the stock Epi strings are bad at all. But there is great scope for improving your tone if you don't like it at present. So if you need a change in tone, then you might want to change the strings sooner.

Of course, when the strings wear out and the time comes to change them, you have a huge field of tonal improvisation ahead of you… [biggrin]

You may want to just bring the guitar in for a set up. Often due to temperature and humidity changes from shipping and distribution, the wood can contract/expand and require some intonation changes.

Double plus++ on this. My Epi 1961 anniversary SG came with a couple of frets sticking up a bit and a serious problem with the D String and the wrap around bridge not getting along. It had also been in storage for so long the strings were rusty. I did the fixin and setup myself but if you're not comfortable doing that take it to a good tech and get it setup. It'll be much better to play in my experience

High, I'm new to electric guitars too. First you can treat your fret board without taking the strings off, It's not ideal, but you can do it ( I have a floating bridge and I have to do that anyway). Second I wouldn't change the stock strings, use them! There 're fine to get started with. Having started both using a pick and doing blues I broke my little e twice very quickly, so I'm glad it was only cheapo strings. I'm now less of a brute with my pick and my "nice" strings last fine.

Gibson do sone very nice vintage strings if you like that kind of vibe.

When i bought my electric. i didn't particularly like the tone of the strings. A few months later, i changed to gibson strings, but didn't find it much better. But after that, i changed to D'addarios and loved them. however, this is because the D'addarios were steel/nickel and the others were pure nickel.

Hope I'm not confusing you here, but my point is that in terms of quality, i don't think the stock Epi strings are bad at all. But there is great scope for improving your tone if you don't like it at present. So if you need a change in tone, then you might want to change the strings sooner.

Of course, when the strings wear out and the time comes to change them, you have a huge field of tonal improvisation ahead of you… [biggrin]

High, I'm new to electric guitars too. First you can treat your fret board without taking the strings off, It's not ideal, but you can do it ( I have a floating bridge and I have to do that anyway). Second I wouldn't change the stock strings, use them! There 're fine to get started with. Having started both using a pick and doing blues I broke my little e twice very quickly, so I'm glad it was only cheapo strings. I'm now less of a brute with my pick and my "nice" strings last fine.

Gibson do sone very nice vintage strings if you like that kind of vibe.

Compared to several Gibson and Fender guitars each, the strings of my Epiphone Les Paul were the best stock strings ever, and the only ones which were to my desire. I left them on this guitar for several days although I already had switching the gauge in mind which I did then. I like an even response with round lows, fat mids and distinctive treble, and the Epi LP's stock strings provided them all.

All of my other guitars made a big leap in performance after changing to my favorite brand, the Epi stayed about the same. However, I wasn't disappointed therefore since the acoustical string tone had clearly told me already at the dealer what's going on.

Hey guys,

I'm new to guitar and after an extensive search, I've finally found the perfect Les Paul for me.

My question is simple...being a new guitar, the fretboard is dry...and I'd like to oil it asap to keep it looking good. I should use bore oil right? I know the oil argument has been had a million times, but I hear bore oil is the best nowadays? Is there something better?

Back to the actual question, since I'll likely be taking the strings off to oil it, what strings should I put on? I've heard slinky's are good? Thoughts?

Last question: should I just leave well enough alone? How critical is it that I oil the fretboard right away? How long could I wait? Will it do damage?

Thanks for any and all advice!

I always change strings as soon as I get a new guitar home. I like the sound and feel of fresh strings and prefer a clean slate to start with. As far as brands that will be up to you. I lean toward D'Addario as they seem to last longest with the reaction to the oils and acidity from my sweat. I also use Gibson, Ernie Ball from time to time but try a different brand each string change to find what you like.

It isn't critical to oil the board right away, and to be honest I rarely oil mine, but if you do it I would stress what others have said and start with a light cover of oil, let it soak in and reapply if necessary. Just remember if you take off all the strings that the bridge and tailpiece will fall off. Mark where the bridge height screws are in case they get moved so that your action doesn't get messed up. I use lemon oil on mine.

Double plus++ on this. My Epi 1961 anniversary SG came with a couple of frets sticking up a bit and a serious problem with the D String and the wrap around bridge not getting along. It had also been in storage for so long the strings were rusty. I did the fixin and setup myself but if you're not comfortable doing that take it to a good tech and get it setup. It'll be much better to play in my experience

I'll add another double plus to this as well, especially if you're new to guitar. Find a good setup guy (NOT the GC tech), explain that you're new and what you think you'd like and listen to his recommendations as well. As for strings. the first thing that happens to any guitar I buy is a new set of strings. Who knows how long they've been on there, etc. Then again, I normally take all of my new guitars to a good luthier for a going over during the warranty/return period. He knows more of what to look for than I do.

Fretboard oiling needs done only once a year on average, and as suggested before, a little goes a loooooooong way. I also like Guitar Honey. Some have found that things like lemon oil can go rancid over time. Eeeeeeewwwwwww!!!!!

Welcome and good luck no matter what you do. And YouTube is usually your very good friend on some of this stuff. I've found that when I have several options, I go to the comments first. If they start along the lines of "great post, thanks for sharing" I'm in. If it's "WTF are you talking about Dude?" then I'm probably not going to waste my time LOL. YMMV.

Yes, I recommend you changing the stock strings. They came with 10s on them.

I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (10-46). But there are lots of fine brands out there. Try several out and see what you like best.

Same with what you put on your fretboard. There are lots of choices, and each person has there preference. I like Gerlitz Guitar Honey. I've been using this stuff for quite a few years and like the results. One tip, if I may; don't over do it on the oil, whatever you use. Apply conservatively.

honey_large.jpg

Totally agree on Gerlitz Guitar honey!!!!

Archived