Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the Epiphone '56 Les Paul Goldtop?

Scott0

mines a good guitar, after I upgraded ALL the electronics including the p'ups.....the Asian P-90s just sounded nasty to me.

i'll be stoned for saying that....and NOT in the good way....but they were uber harsh.

I upgraded with a set of GFS Dream 180 Soap-bars (humbuckers that fit P-90 holes) and several folks have upgraded w/mini-hums.....either is a great improvement IMO.

I've got a '56 Epi Les Paul and it is slated for a makeover because I find the pickups less than desirable. I will replace with P90s and electrics (not decided which yet) rather than go down the mini humbucker route and also replace the nut (which sticks) with a decent bone nut.

And when the work is done it will be a perfectly good guitar.

mines a good guitar, after I upgraded ALL the electronics including the p'ups.....the Asian P-90s just sounded nasty to me.

i'll be stoned for saying that....and NOT in the good way....but they were uber harsh.

I upgraded with a set of GFS Dream 180 Soap-bars (humbuckers that fit P-90 holes) and several folks have upgraded w/mini-hums.....either is a great improvement IMO.

I've got a '56 Epi Les Paul and it is slated for a makeover because I find the pickups less than desirable. I will replace with P90s and electrics (not decided which yet) rather than go down the mini humbucker route and also replace the nut (which sticks) with a decent bone nut.

And when the work is done it will be a perfectly good guitar.

appreciated.

I think I'm going to give one a whirl. I've got one in my sights, the price is right (<$300) and I'm interested in a solid body p-90. Epi p-90 pickups have been hit or miss for me but nothing wrong with a swap out if they don't cut it. Went through quite a lot of good reviews on this guitar last night.

[thumbup]

appreciated.

I think I'm going to give one a whirl. I've got one in my sights, the price is right (<$300) and I'm interested in a solid body p-90. Epi p-90 pickups have been hit or miss for me but nothing wrong with a swap out if they don't cut it. Went through quite a lot of good reviews on this guitar last night.

[thumbup]

Hardest part of replacing the stock P-90s is choosing. There's so many good choices out there. Luckily I'm REAL happy with the stock P-90s in my Epi SG.

I have a '56 Epi GT. I almost sold it until I found out the mini humbuckers were a direct drop in replacement. Try as I might, I just don't like P90s. They are too noisy for my rig. I put a set of Gibson minis in it and am completely happy with it now.

I have a '56 Epi GT. I almost sold it until I found out the mini humbuckers were a direct drop in replacement. Try as I might, I just don't like P90s. They are too noisy for my rig. I put a set of Gibson minis in it and am completely happy with it now.

One option (which I am considering) is noiseless P90s like the Kinman's. Those particular P90s also offer an "out of phase" option too. The problem is that they are very expensive.

Archived