Gibson Brands Forums

J45: What's in the case?

michaelnel

Silly question: so let's say I bought a brand new guitar off an unauthorized online dealer. Is there any advantage to filling out the warranty card even though there is no warranty when purchased thru an unauthorized dealer?

Not a silly question; I've bought new old stock guitars from unauthorized dealers, received most of the case candy, including the final checklist (w/ serial #), but have never seen a warranty card included. Maybe some do include it, or forget to remove it, or don't care, but I don't recall seeing one in any of the ones I've bought from unauthorized dealers.

To the OP: I was sure Gibson would soon be getting back with you; glad to hear you'll be getting the paperwork.

Silly question: so let's say I bought a brand new guitar off an unauthorized online dealer. Is there any advantage to filling out the warranty card even though there is no warranty when purchased thru an unauthorized dealer?

I am not sure what kind of 'advantage' you are suggesting. I suspect the company is able to track dealers and serial numbers pretty effectively and it is unlikely you would be able to get warranty service by sending in a card given to you mistakenly or using the web interface under your circs. Trying to obtain 'advantages' to which one is not actually entitled sounds unprincipled and unworthy to me.

Well, pushing it up the chain worked, kinda.

I got email from the sales manager at Guitar Center in reference to the complaint I lodged about this. She rounded up the accessory pack including strings, pick holder, keyfob, but was unable to find the warranty registration card serialized to my guitar and the owner manual, so she said she's going to Gibson for that. She said the rest of it shipped out today.

And Customer Support at Gibson says they are sending the owner manual and the warranty registration card.

I guess I won, kinda.

Well, actually, there are still two things missing: pictures of your new guitar and a sound file.

When can we expect to see 'em?

tumblr_lhge0gP0od1qcy1poo1_r1_500.gif

FMA

Hehe, , , that panther is one heavy spectator. I feel the presure climb Mr. Threadhosts back. . .

True.. but when its a new buyer, its all nice to have... in the U.S you get the life time when it stays with the original owner.. here in canada we only get a year..yorkville keeps the paper work.. but we do get a Pick... whopptee doo..

The claim on the certificate/ paper is completely wrong. We get all the same things as the U.S. , except the actual warranty and that is Gibson not Yorkville saying no warranty. If your guitar does not have the certificate, take it up with the store as they are the ones that removed it. Every single Gibson I have purchased had all the case goodies.

The case candy package arrived from Guitar Center today. I didn't open the sealed clear envelope, but it appears to have a pick, a leather keyfob, a set of Gibson strings and a sticker, just as DChristo posted earlier. Now waiting for the paperwork.

I am not sure what kind of 'advantage' you are suggesting. I suspect the company is able to track dealers and serial numbers pretty effectively and it is unlikely you would be able to get warranty service by sending in a card given to you mistakenly or using the web interface under your circs. Trying to obtain 'advantages' to which one is not actually entitled sounds unprincipled and unworthy to me.

Don't know if it's still true, but used to be you had to send a copy of the sales receipt in with the warranty card.

But I agree with Jerry that it'd be uncool to try to obtain the warranty under false pretenses or, maybe worse, to try and dupe the next buyer into believing card=warranty and then charge a premium for the sale.

In no way am I presuming ill intent behind the question- just saying that I can't imagine an advantage of a warranty card in a situation where there is no warranty.

True.. but when its a new buyer, its all nice to have... in the U.S you get the life time when it stays with the original owner.. here in canada we only get a year..yorkville keeps the paper work.. but we do get a Pick... whopptee doo..

Yup, and thats why I won't buy a new Gibson here in Canada. Used......In a heartbeat.

Yup, and thats why I won't buy a new Gibson here in Canada. Used......In a heartbeat.

Yorkville does not keep the paperwork, all certificates should come with the guitar.

Warranty: Gibson does not offer any warranty to any guitar sold outside of the U.S.A , once again...Gibson does not offer any warranty. It has nothing to do with Yorkville.

Just so you know.

An advantage could be that if my guitar was stolen that Gibson would have all the specifics of the guitar (original MAP, and other details such as colour, serial number, build material). I saved $1000 by NOT purchasing through an authorized dealer so I don't expect a full warranty but even having the above info stored on the Gibson database would still be considered an advantage.

I didn't realize my question would have me viewed as an unscrupulous scumbag trying to take advantage of something I had absolutely no right to have access to.

Archived