Gibson Brands Forums

GHS Contact Core strings

Johnt

From a recommendation on. J200 forum I bought a set and stuck them on my J200 KOA

Brilliant

For those you don't know the concept is that the strings are unbound until they pass over the saddle

Bright tone and as the strings sit slightly lower I have found the action marginally easier

I know that strings are always a matter or personal preference but anyone had similar experience?

Theoretically wouldn't these also result in a slightly lower break-angle? On a 200 with a 4 ribbon bridge the pins already sit a good distance back from the saddle - and most action lowering techniques could decrease this angle resulting in slightly less robust volume on a 200 ?

Now that's different. Looks like you're the first kid on the block with these strings.

I might encounter a problem - I put a Colosi saddle on my 200 and lowered the action a bit. But I'm gonna give them a try. . B)

I haven't tried the GHS, but I just got a handful of sets of the Rotosound strings mentioned above for my LG2-AE, and I'm pleased with the change. The LG-2 is my finger style guitar and these strings suit the style well. The extra touch of brightness and sustain counteracts my tendency to use too much flesh. The contact core does cause the string sit a very small closer to the fretboard, which makes playing a touch easier. They look funny and are probably a touch weaker, but I think they are worth a try provided your right hand isn't to heavy, not that I've heard rumors of increased breakage but I see the potential.

JRP

Archived