Gibson Brands Forums

Auto-trim tuning machines

BobF_

Any of you have these on your LP? The Planet Waves ones.

I love me some fresh strings, but I'm getting to really hate the process of changing them. I had an Am Dlx Strat with locking tuners that was a joy to change strings on.

I want the same joy for my B7. Auto-trimming just seems like it would be really handy. I could stand tool-less string changes :)

So, any experience with these out there?

I don't have any of them. not much on that kind of stuff. but thats just me. not crazy about locking tuners either, im just a caveman, lol. but a friend of mine loves his strat with the locking tuners... the auto tuners and the like, drive me nuts

another cave man over here.

I have a battery operated screw driver, I just cut the string to the right length (like the middle of the next post) push the string thru so there's enough to grab the post, and --let my black and decker screw driver do the rest of the work. not a problem at all really..

oh edited to mention,, you have to have the do-hicky that fits in the screw driver socket that you put over the machine head. I think D'Adarrio has them,, dirt cheap too.

I don't have any of them. not much on that kind of stuff. but thats just me. not crazy about locking tuners either, im just a caveman, lol. but a friend of mine loves his strat with the locking tuners... the auto tuners and the like, drive me nuts

Thanks. If I had never experienced the string change convenience with the Strat, I wouldn't even be thinking about this. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for fiddly, and I think changing strings is one the fiddliest. Especially the treble strings.

I don't want auto tuning on my Gibby, but I did pick up a Peavey AT200 to have a tech toy guitar to play with. It's a different concept from the robots, but it is a lot of fun. Finger a chord, strum and push a button. Now you're in a perfect open G!! :)

Now you're in a perfect open G!!

and Honky Tonk Woman is just begging to be played!

:) That's the tune that made me shop around. So much great music out there in open tunings.

Thanks. If I had never experienced the string change convenience with the Strat, I wouldn't even be thinking about this. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for fiddly, and I think changing strings is one the fiddliest. Especially the treble strings.

I don't want auto tuning on my Gibby, but I did pick up a Peavey AT200 to have a tech toy guitar to play with. It's a different concept from the robots, but it is a lot of fun. Finger a chord, strum and push a button. Now you're in a perfect open G!! :)

Agree.

I was thinking about th Peavey and auto tune. so much you could do.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I ordered a set of the PW auto-trims for my Peavey. Got 'em and installed them a couple of days ago.

The install was a perfect swap, no mods or drilling or reaming :) I love these things. Completely tool-less string change. No cutters. No winder; manual or electric. No wind, wind, wind.

They feel solid. No noticeable slop or slipping. Time will tell. If these are still as cool after two or three string changes, my B7 will be getting a set. And my Tele after that.

I love the smell of fresh strings in the morning :)

Interesting. The set I have on with the PWATs is EB Hybrids. 46 bottom was effortless.

Time will tell how many sets these last. I reused the set that was already on the guitar for the first stringing, so set two will be pretty soon.

i'm beginning to think I got a monday morn/fri afternoon set, as the trimmers aren't great and 2 of the locks stripped out by the 2nd string-change.

now I just use either Fender/Schaller/GFS lockers and the wire cutters

I loved the Schallers on my Strat. The only reason I decided to try the auto-trims is because ... well, because I can! :)

I plan to put a set of locking tuners on each of my other guitars as well. If the auto-trims seem up to it, I'll use them. Otherwise I'll get something different.

I haven't decided whether to do the acoustic or B7 next.

Have you contacted PW/D'Addario? These are supposed to be "Guaranteed For Life". I do admit though that I'm not sure if that means my life or the life of the hardware [laugh]

I loved the Schallers on my Strat. The only reason I decided to try the auto-trims is because ... well, because I can! :)

I plan to put a set of locking tuners on each of my other guitars as well. If the auto-trims seem up to it, I'll use them. Otherwise I'll get something different.

I haven't decided whether to do the acoustic or B7 next.

Have you contacted PW/D'Addario? These are supposed to be "Guaranteed For Life". I do admit though that I'm not sure if that means my life or the life of the hardware [laugh]

not contacted them......still using the dgbe 4 on that Strat and just dropped 2 old Fender tuners in the Ea spots..........looks odd from the back, but usually "lifetime warrantys" aren't worth persueing for something so small.

Archived