Gibson Brands Forums

DIY Guitar

dbrian66

I was looking at all the parts on the http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickups/Electric_Guitar/Railhammer_Chisel_Pickup.html page especially the pickups.I'm looking to change out the pu's in my PRS Santana SE and am looking for something different.I still want to check some reviews but I really seem to be leaning to the Railhammer Chisel pickups.Has anybody ever heard live or seen anyone use them.I like the round Mag poles in one end and the rails in the other sort of makes sense plus the pu's in my SE santana are just kind of well boring and I would like to get it to scream a bit.

I was looking at all the parts on the http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickups/Electric_Guitar/Railhammer_Chisel_Pickup.html page especially the pickups.I'm looking to change out the pu's in my PRS Santana SE and am looking for something different.I still want to check some reviews but I really seem to be leaning to the Railhammer Chisel pickups.Has anybody ever heard live or seen anyone use them.I like the round Mag poles in one end and the rails in the other sort of makes sense plus the pu's in my SE santana are just kind of well boring and I would like to get it to scream a bit.

I've thought about those as well. I have never seen or heard a guitar with them though. Need to check YouTube maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still looking for pickups for this project. I found these on Ebay and they look promising. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RH-Factor-PAF-2-Humbucker-Pickup-Set-AlNiCo-2-II-Magnets-4-Wire-Black-Bobbins-/231283767808

I did a quick search on google and found mixed opinions on where they are made but everyone seemed to like them. Any of you know anything about them?

Thanks!

I am telling you GFS pickups are the answer within your budget, call them and tell them what you are looking for and they will point you to the right set of pickups.

I still love mine after 7 or 8 years.

I am on a waiting list for the set of GFS pickups I want. I do like the GFS stuff. The ones I want are out of stock and I have not heard anything back for several weeks. Maybe I need to be more patient.

I am on a waiting list for the set of GFS pickups I want. I do like the GFS stuff. The ones I want are out of stock and I have not heard anything back for several weeks. Maybe I need to be more patient.

Looking real good man.. Great job :) (maybe you should try doing one from scratch after this?)

As for pickups, ive had really good success with a company called AxesRus (http://www.axesrus.co.uk)so far ALL Of the pups ive goot from them have been really nice.. My fave so far (sound wise) is the showstopper P90s...

They do have a currency converter for US...

Also maybe you should ask our own Searcy as he makes awesome pups [thumbup] (which I have a set of on my first build).

I am telling you GFS pickups are the answer within your budget, call them and tell them what you are looking for and they will point you to the right set of pickups.

I still love mine after 7 or 8 years.

The pickups I wanted are back in stock. Just ordered them this morning. GFS Fat Pat Humbuckes. Can't wait to get this thing together.

• 1 month later...

Ok, it's been awhile since I have given an update. The clear coat process took awhile because I kept messing it up but I finally got it pretty shinny. I have learned a lot about that process for the next project. The pickups sound great and it sounds pretty good. I put two push pull pots in it to split the pickups and that's pretty cool. First guitar I have with that feature. I news to get a taller nut for it. I put a black tusq nut on it but I did not measure the hight right when I ordered it. They don't seem to make one the right height. And suggestions on another nut company that might have more options?

image_zpsa73d09fe.jpg

image_zpsba0cbab5.jpg

image_zps8941bf99.jpg

Archived