Gibson Brands Forums

Why does my new Gibson stink?

Pin

Are we talking about the "normal" "Almond/Vanilla" scent, or something entirely different?

The "Almond/Vanilla" scent could be from the Polish, used on the Nitro, in the finishing stage.

IF it's a really ranced, "dead," smell...that's something else, entirely. Hide Glue, as was

mentioned, possibly???

IF it's really unpleasant, and a real problem, that's not going away, or lessening with time,

take it back! [tongue]

CB

Are we talking about the "normal" "Almond/Vanilla" scent, or something entirely different?

CB

Exactly!

What I am talking about is the sweet vanilla scent. Certainly not rancid,,, but after a while, rather annoying.

Someone not akin to those scents may consider it rancid.

Exactly!

What I am talking about is the sweet vanilla scent. Certainly not rancid,,, but after a while, rather annoying.

Someone not akin to those scents may consider it rancid.

Well, again, I think it's more the polish, or polishes, they use, in the final stages

of finishing, than the actual "Nitro." But, it could very well be a combination, of

both. A lot of us, like that smell, and sometimes feel it fades too quickly! LOL

Others, have more your reaction. Bake the case (open) in the sun, keep the guitar out, and/or

play it in bars, and pretty soon you'll (almost) wish that smell was still there. [biggrin]

Not to worry, it will fade, eventually.

CB

Thanks for the comments folks.

I think it definitely proved to my satisfaction that the smell isn't anything to do with the case.

But what it is I just can't say. It is as strong now as it was when I first took the guitar out of its case and although it seems a little stronger at the f-holes - you can sniff at any part of the body of the guitar and get a powerful nose full of it.

I find it difficult to describe the smell - yes, it is a little like almond / vanilla but highly concentrated so it is almost (but not quite) on the point of rancid.

It'll die down and go eventually and the more so if I keep the guitar out of its case. But I do wonder its precise source if only to know that I know.

Lovely playing guitar nevertheless and yes, I am still very pleased I bought it despite the smell.

If it isn't the case, I like the glue idea. It would make sense if a hide glue was used in the guitar. They are usually made from unrefined animal proteins that are inherently odiferous. Plus, those glues will easily become bacterially infected if a biocide is not added to the wet glue shortly after it is made. However, the odor from those glues would, in no way, be confused with almond or vanilla, since the protein has a rancid odor and the byproducts from bacterial infection smell like spoilt milk.

One test would be a comparison between Axes that come in a molded travel plastic/fiberglass foam insert style, to the wood based plush interiors cases. If the odor is from the adhesives, or finishes in the Axe it will be there in the molded travel plastic/fiberglass foam insert style too. I still think it's in the odor from the the adhesives used in the wood based plush interior cases manufacture.

Back in the early 80s I bought a new Limited Edition Yamaha FG-346 SB in the very rare Marine Blue colour.The guitar didn't come with a case so since the guitar was such an exceptional instrument,I bought the best acoustic case they had.As soon as I opened the case I was hit square in the face with one of the most delicious smells that ever wafted through my nostrils.A good friend and occasional gigging partner of mine also bought one for her Yamaha with the same results.The case is medium brown and the lining is tan coloured and is as plush as an expensive Teddy Bear and after over 30 years,I can still get a faint trace of that smell every time that I take out the Yamaha for a few strums.

Archived