Gibson Brands Forums

telecaster guitars

Richie123

4Hayden...

With all due respect, I find it interesting how in one thread there's nothing but virulent criticism of Gibson and/or Fender and in another thread Gibson and Fender can do no wrong.

My own opinion is that especially as long as guitars are made of wood, especially if there is handwork, there will be difficulties involved.

If Gibson and Fender have all the sorts of quality instruments that trip your trigger, and fit your pocketbook, I'm very happy for you. I'm just not in that category.

Believe me, nothing against Gibson, but what of such as Martin? Even Gallagher? I'm not a Taylor fan at all, but many folks are. And there are some outstanding lesser-known makers out there whose guitars are in roughly a high-end Gib/Fen/Mar price level.

What of classical guitars? Hauser or Jose Ramirez? Five figures and some folks think they're not "ready" until they've been completed and on a shelf a cupla years.

To me, there are some guitars of different sorts that simply "fit" and are of professional playing-out quality. There are others that may be more or less expensive that I'd not be likely to play, or be at all comfortable with.

m

criticism of Gibson and/or Fender ? I only buy electric guitars but I do have a 1928 Washburn my grandfather left me

Hayden...

Turkey! <grin>

I had one from that era that had kinda fallen apart, but the pieces all were good. It got lost in a move half way through a rebuilding process. @#$%@#$%#$%#$%@#$%@#$

They were nice guitars in those days. That plus coming from your grandfather makes you double lucky.

m

I play telecasters. I own two of them. Both of them are as different as night and day, but pretty much the same guitar.

Wesley is new to me. There is a great big world of Tele-style guitars out there. Many people have copied them and to this day, still manufacture knock-offs of Leo's original idea.

I'm happy with mine, play them often enough.

Here's a recent picture of the two of them together.

Snapshot2010-01-2515-33-31.jpg

I play telecasters. I own two of them. Both of them are as different as night and day, but pretty much the same guitar.

Wesley is new to me. There is a great big world of Tele-style guitars out there. Many people have copied them and to this day, still manufacture knock-offs of Leo's original idea.

I had a 60th Anniversary natural finish , but I traded it

Interesting how many members here on a Gibson site own Teles but it is something I understand.

I'm basically an acoustic player played only acoustic for years. Then I got the feel for semis and I was sold.

In my search for the holly grail of semis an ES330 which was not easy here in UK, I came across a 1974 Tele Custom the one with the Stef Lover pickup. This was as you can guess not my sort of thing but I have found it an excellent guitar for solo work. There is something about it the cuts through the sweet semi sound and makes the solo clear and precise. I believe Keith Richards has one and I know why!

My buddy and drummer has one of those Diamond anniversary Teles. I wish I had more tone choice without the "bass guitar" setting in the normal neck switch position. It has the Nocaster wiring with the extra capacitor that was utilized in the day when bass guitars weren't as readily available so you could be guitar or an impomptu bass...

It's a neat historic thing, but I found it a tad limiting as a guitar...

My buddy and drummer has one of those Diamond anniversary Teles. I wish I had more tone choice without the "bass guitar" setting in the normal neck switch position. It has the Nocaster wiring with the extra capacitor that was utilized in the day when bass guitars weren't as readily available so you could be guitar or an impomptu bass...

It's a neat historic thing, but I found it a tad limiting as a guitar...

Yeah, I get your point, but I never really use it in the bass position. I'm sure one of these days I'll change it over to a more traditional configuration. Maybe next time I restring 'er.

Archived