Gibson Brands Forums

guitar nitro finish repair insecticide - Gibson J-35

Country-Rocker

Hi All,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to smooth in or remove a few large fingerprints from the top of my Gibson J-35. During a back garden party my guitar was passed around to various players and one must of had some insecticide wipe liquid on their hands. It has left a few fingerprints and side of hand marks on the top. They look to only be on the surface, almost like a normal fingerprint that would come off with a guitar cloth. I tried carnauba wax, but that didn't do anything for it. I know it was an accident, so there is no way I am going to allow myself to get bent out of shape about it. The more I play my J-35, the better it gets....good axe.......

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much,

Freddie

You might try rubbing gently with the very finest grade of wire wool, but as always with this type of thing, there's always the risk that you could make things worse. It would have to be really bad before I tried doing it, just saying!

Ian

P.S try you hand at other, less important surfaces first, to try and get your eye in.

Hey Freddie,

Sorry to hear about this, but Cameleye is right... any bug spray with DEET will chemically react with nitro finishes when brought into direct contact. There's really nothing you can do other than taking it to a good luthier/repair tech who is experienced in dealing with finish problems like this. Someone with experience should be able to take of it.

I experienced the same thing many years ago and have learned to either not let anyone play my guitars in a similar outdoor setting (kindly explaining the reason), or use a beater guitar I don't really care about.

Good luck, Freddie and let us know how it turns out.

BTW, I know it was someone else who was using the DEET bug spray, but for your own use on those hot, buggy days/nights, try Skin So Soft by Avon as a repellant. I've used it for years for astronomy when viewing on hot summer nights surrounded by mosquitoes, as well as performing outdoors at festivals, etc with the band, and it does a good job of repelling, as well as not harming guitar finishes. I use the wipe-on towelettes and always have a few packets in my gig bag, just in case.

DC

Yep, what Jeremy said. A skilled luthier can make it go away. Anything you try yourself will either have no effect or make it worse. I have learned from experience to not pass my j45. There are certain individuals (and you know who you are) whose perspiration destroys the nitro finish.

Thanks for the tip on the Skin So Soft, DRC.

Archived