Gibson Brands Forums

Changing Pickups in a Les Paul Classic

Superdick2112

I recently purchased a 2001 Les Paul Classic in Honeyburst, and I am going to change out the stock pickups for a set of '57 Classics.

Any tips on the best way to go about this would be greatly appreciated, as this will be my first pickup swap.

I've soldered jacks & ground wires before, so I'm not too apprehensive about the task, but a little help never hurts!

I recently purchased a 2001 Les Paul Classic in Honeyburst, and I am going to change out the stock pickups for a set of '57 Classics.

Any tips on the best way to go about this would be greatly appreciated, as this will be my first pickup swap.

I've soldered jacks & ground wires before, so I'm not too apprehensive about the task, but a little help never hurts!

Heres a good thread on the My Les Paul forum that has loads of different wiring diagrams...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/558-wiring-library.html

And a couple of vids.. Maybe just watch a few of these on youtube and see if you can pickup some extra tricks :) I use a template like the second video, that way you can do most of the soldering outside of the body which is just safer.....

Ohh ad if you do take the pots out, a good idea is to use a socket wrench bit to take the nuts off and tighten them up again (12 or 13mm , cant remember off hand)

4400lh_zps8876b9aa.jpg

Thanks guys - some helpful tips here.

Uncle Fred - what tonal differences can I expect from upgrading the pots & installing bumblebee caps?

You will not hear much difference at all, especially if you already have 500 K pots in there. Also, unless you use your tone knobs a whole bunch, I wouldn't change out the capacitors just yet. If I was you, I would start with changing the pick ups for now and see what you think, especially if you already have 500 K pots in your guitar.

IMHO the OP will hear much more difference in sound by just changing his pups first. I have stock guitars with original bumblebees in them and there is very little difference in sound between them and my newer guitars with ceramic caps. 57's will sound light and airy compared to the ceramic pup that came stock in his guitar.

Well, the operation was a success!

It took about an hour longer than I thought it would, but it was pretty easy, & totally worth the time & money spent.

While I was at it I swapped out the pick guard, truss cover and pickup bezels to spruce it up a bit,

and installed a set of Gotoh locking Kluson-style machine heads.

The '57 classics have a much warmer & more traditional tone than the hot ceramic pickups I pulled out,

and now she sounds killer, and she holds tune better than ever. So happy now!

LesPaul005_zps575a618d.jpg

LesPaul006_zpsd8b8ae71.jpg

Well, the operation was a success!

It took about an hour longer than I thought it would, but it was pretty easy, & totally worth the time & money spent.

While I was at it I swapped out the pick guard, truss cover and pickup bezels to spruce it up a bit,

and installed a set of Gotoh locking Kluson-style machine heads.

The '57 classics have a much warmer & more traditional tone than the hot ceramic pickups I pulled out,

and now she sounds killer, and she holds tune better than ever. So happy now!

LesPaul005_zps575a618d.jpg

LesPaul006_zpsd8b8ae71.jpg

I did the same thing, to mine, about 3 years ago! Best decision I've made, regarding that

guitar. This year, I changed out the "pee yellow" fret markers, for the normal version.

(To me) it looks (and, with the '57's, sounds) much better, now. [thumbup][biggrin]

Before:

DSC_0024.jpg

After:

DSC_35501_zpsa7811b0c.jpg

CB

I did the same thing, to mine, about 3 years ago! Best decision I've made, regarding that

guitar. This year, I changed out the "pee yellow" fret markers, for the normal version.

(To me) it looks (and, with the '57's, sounds) much better, now. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB - that looks great! What is involved in swapping out inlays?

I've seen replacement sets on eBay & wondered how difficult it would be. Thanks!

CB - that looks great! What is involved in swapping out inlays?

I've seen replacement sets on eBay & wondered how difficult it would be. Thanks!

I just ordered them, from Stewmac, and had my/the Luthier (at my dealer's) do

the work. He did a Great job, as you can see! I left it (in Wichita) on

a Friday, and picked it up, the following Friday. I'm sure it didn't take

him a week to do, but he has a LOT of other projects, for the dealership,

to handle, at any given time, as well. Worked out well, for both of us! [thumbup]

CB

Hello!

Interesting what You say about the inlays.

My 50s Tribute Studio came with similiar greenish inlays. After a couple of months, and lemon-oil treatment they became nice white.

Cheers... Bence

Sounds like you wore down, or the oil stripped off a coating? My inlays were yellow, through and through! [tongue]

CB

Sounds like you wore down, or the oil stripped off a coating? My inlays were yellow, through and through! [tongue]

CB

Hello Charlie!

Since the greenishness is gone entirely, - not in spots -, I assume it got vanished by the lemon oil.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Charlie!

Since the greenishness is gone entirely, - not in spots -, I assume it got vanished by the lemon oil.

Cheers... Bence

Yeah, that's what I meant by the oil stripping off the color or "coating." [biggrin]

Glad it worked out, the way it did. On mine, nothing seemed to alter the color at all.

So, I had to have them replaced.

CB

Thanks, Donny. Now I wonder why I waited as long as I did?! LOL

CB

I have no idea why those inlays bother people so much?

My Classic has those dirty inlays and its never been something I have thought about.. I have always just thought that it looks like the name.. classic.. like it was from the 60s or something (which I guess is the idea).

I have no idea why those inlays bother people so much?

My Classic has those dirty inlays and its never been something I have thought about.. I have always just thought that it looks like the name.. classic.. like it was from the 60s or something (which I guess is the idea).

Well, for me...they don't look like ANY naturally aged by playing in smokey bars, night after night,

or, out in the sun, for that matter. I have an old 1954 Gibson J-160E, and as old as it is, the inlays

are still nowhere near that yellowed, or even that KIND of yellow! It's inlays have a very slight,

and very appealing "amberish" quality. Not "yellow" at all! I have 3 other Gibson's that are over

30 years old (one is nearly 40 years old), and their inlays still look "new" clean/pearl, to this day.

So, I for one, have NO idea where Gibson got the idea for that "yellow, to yellow greenish" tint, for

simulated "aged" inlays. And, that's WHY I chose to change them. [tongue][biggrin]

But, if you like 'em, the way they are, that's great! [thumbup]

CB

Well, for me...they don't look like ANY naturally aged by playing in smokey bars, night after night,

or, out in the sun, for that matter. I have an old 1954 Gibson J-160E, and as old as it is, the inlays

are still nowhere near that yellowed, or even that KIND of yellow! It's inlays have a very slight,

and very appealing "amberish" quality. Not "yellow" at all! I have 3 other Gibson's that are over

30 years old (one is nearly 40 years old), and their inlays still look "new" clean/pearl, to this day.

So, I for one, have NO idea where Gibson got the idea for that "yellow, to yellow greenish" tint, for

simulated "aged" inlays. And, that's WHY I chose to change them. [tongue][biggrin]

But, if you like 'em, the way they are, that's great! [thumbup]

CB

Lol.. I honestly just never noticed until I came on this forum and saw people talking about it. I just find it neither here not there.

This is my 2008 Standard so I know clean ones

DSC_0327_zps377c6687.jpg

And my classic

DSC_0331_zps0af6117a.jpg

Lol.. I honestly just never noticed until I came on this forum and saw people talking about it. I just find it neither here not there.

This is my 2008 Standard so I know clean ones

DSC_0327_zps377c6687.jpg

And my classic

DSC_0331_zps0af6117a.jpg

:rolleyes:[biggrin] Hold on here...you've got 2 completely different color balances, in those photos. One

seems shot in 3200 K light (warmer "Tungsten"), and the other in daylight (cooler in color). '

So, that's not really a fair comparison. Shoot them in the exact same lighting conditions,

and show us, again. I will say, baring that, that your Classic seems to have the later version,

of the "aged" fret markers, which were way less yellow, by far! The ones around the years

late 90's to 2000-2002, maybe even until 2004??, were the worst offenders...IMHO. [tongue]

Mine is a year 2000!

CB

:rolleyes:[biggrin] Hold on here...you've got 2 completely different color balances, in those photos. One

seems shot in 3200 K light (warmer "Tungsten"), and the other in daylight (cooler in color). '

So, that's not really a fair comparison. Shoot them in the exact same lighting conditions,

and show us, again. I will say, baring that, that your Classic seems to have the later version,

of the "aged" fret markers, which were way less yellow, by far! The ones around the years

late 90's to 2000-2002, maybe even until 2004??, were the worst offenders...IMHO. [tongue]

Mine is a year 2000!

CB

Lol.. if I must :) Heres a few different shots (I really need a decent camera)

And yes mine is from 2002..

DSCN0306_zps68603353.jpg

DSCN0311_zps0ee5ff1f.jpg

and a close up.. It still doesn't bother me :P ;)

DSCN0292_zpsd1146276.jpg

Lol.. if I must :) Heres a few different shots (I really need a decent camera)

And yes mine is from 2002..

DSCN0306_zps68603353.jpg

DSCN0311_zps0ee5ff1f.jpg

and a close up.. It still doesn't bother me :P ;)

DSCN0292_zpsd1146276.jpg

Now we're talking!! And, bother you or not (which is totally fine, by the way), it does

show the difference a LOT better, in the same lighting conditions! [biggrin] But, as always...

if you like it, that's all that matters! In my case, I just preferred the "neutral" variety,

over the "aged!" That's all. [wink]

CB

Yeah it needs to have a nicotine stain remover or stop smoking cigars lol.

Here is the new Classic with bigger problems nothing Classic about this

15169_4037072701935_1888956248_n.jpg

This is what it needs

10156069_4037074901990_1061150830_n.jpg?oh=984ff92432f91854067ababedf80a4bb&oe=5471DBAF&__gda__=1417255718_0565e08012a572d8dbb8d088ed2774cd

Boom!

10441374_4342565219057_5915956523372184699_n.jpg

10491173_4342565979076_2008727754116481954_n.jpg

NOW were talkin'! Looks Great, Donny! [thumbup] How does it sound? [biggrin]

Oh, and try a '59 Truss Rod Cover. I think you'll like the results!

CB

Archived