Gibson Brands Forums

Purchased a Gibson SG-Z Today

RevDavidLee

Thanks Brad!

I ordered my Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickup for the neck pup and once it gets here - I'll be getting this guitar put back together in short order. I can't wait to play this damn thing. And of course I will posy plenty of photos. [thumbup]

Great you will get a custom replacement from SD. Looking forward to your pics, Rev! [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

My Gibson SGZ has now been fully restored!!!! [thumbup]

I've been playing the crap out of her since I got home. Along the path to restoring her to her original electronic glory - I discovered another issue that had to be rectified - the previous owner had also changed the pots to match those stupid EMG pickups so those had to be replaced too. In any event - she's done, she's smoking, and she screams wonderfully! Woo-Hoo!!!! Here's a couple pics of her all finished up!

RestoredSGZ_zps7ad4d9a3.jpg

sgzfullshot_zpsbfc275d5.jpg

Glad you got it all done and working nicely, Reverend! [thumbup] I assume the retrofitted pots were of lower resistance and eating up the tone of the passive pickups?

How does the Seymour Duncan stacked 490 remake sound? Is this a hum-cancelling design? Sorry for asking, but before you started this topic, I didn't even know they were ever made.

I like the string through the body part. Does that make it feel different than a regular SG?

I don't know that it makes it feel different because of the string through as much as it just feels different because its the SGZ but she sure does sustain beautifully and holds tune wonderfully. The ebony fretboard, the action & playability is just perfect. There's just something special about the SGZ. I mean it just looks like it has an attitude sitting there. The pickups compliment each other beautifully and there's just not one thing I would alter further. The only thing I do not understand is why Gibson only made them for one year. Given all the reissues they like to do, it's almost odd that they never considered reissuing this one. And as a stand alone feature - the string through body should have been a given to offer up again. I've never heard anyone say - gee, I hate that string through setup. I find it odd also that they only offered this in 2 finish options - the other one was really awful - it looked like battleship grey in person. I'm guessing that they must not have sold that well back in 98 and so they didn't see any reason to do them again. I'm thinking some other color options (think Pelham blue for instance) would have looked killer on these. I'm just glad this is all done and I can play her. I ended up investing a total of $775 and I'm pleased with that. [drool]

Glad you got it all done and working nicely, Reverend! [thumbup] I assume the retrofitted pots were of lower resistance and eating up the tone of the passive pickups?

How does the Seymour Duncan stacked 490 remake sound? Is this a hum-cancelling design? Sorry for asking, but before you started this topic, I didn't even know they were ever made.

Yes they were terribly low resistance due to the active EMGs that were in there and were replaced with 500k pots and the guitar is quiet as a church mouse when sitting idle. The SD sounds excellent and yes it is a hum-canceling design and I gotta give a shout out to Seymour Duncan because those folks can literally make you anything that you could ever want and their reputation is stellar as everyone knows. Don't feel bad because I didn't know that neck pup was a "stacked" or "superstack" humbucker either until I started researching it to restore her. I had assumed it was a single coil. Thankfully everything worked out perfectly and I am 100% pleased with how it turned out. Those folks who expressed a dislike for the Gibson 500 T Humbucker as the worse humbucker ever made by Gibson at the bridge had me concerned until I heard her scream. She's fine boys. [thumbup]

... Those folks who expressed a dislike for the Gibson 500 T Humbucker as the worse humbucker ever made by Gibson at the bridge had me concerned until I heard her scream. She's fine boys. [thumbup]

[rolleyes] Well, pickups are a matter of personal preference to a pretty high degree. They all have believers and faithless. I guess for the Church Of Tone will apply: "By their fruits you will know them", pickups and people. B) Tone is a matter of taste, therefore you're right when tasting tone, Reverend! [biggrin][thumbup]

My friend (and owner of Crazy Horse guitars here in Des Moines, Iowa) called me during supper time this evening and told me he had gotten in an SG-Z and asked if I was interested. I asked him how much - he said $450. My first question was obvious - "what's wrong with it & does it still have a neck?" He laughed and said it has some minor scuffs and a tiny nick and a couple small dents but that the guy had taken out the stock pickups and replaced them with EMG's. I'm like WHAT?????

So I ate my supper really fast and drove over to check it out and upon inspection - bought it on the spot. The price included the OHSC as you can see in the photo. The plastic cap on the toggle switch was also missing but I believe I have one in my workshop. I just took a quick photo and now I'm going to go see if I can find that toggle cap and do an internet search to purchase the original intended pickups to put back in there and get rid of those EMGs (not a fan of those).

I'll most likely have to drop a couple hundred more into this to get it back to its original configuration but I believe I still scored one hell of a deal. Why people jack up a limited run of these hard to find special SG-Zs is a mystery to me but I'm happy he did because I bought it for a song because he devalued the girl. I'll take come more photos later or tomorrow and keep you posted as to my progress. I'm very excited! [love]

GibsonSGZ_zps40064d6b.jpg

Looks good, haven't seen one in awhile.

Archived