Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

rct

Last week I took delivery of this beauty, my second Epiphone in my life of playing the guitar since 1971. Epiphone ES-175 Premium in obviously black Ebony. Took the pickguard off, put a pair of Dunlop straplocks on it, put some D'addario Chrome flatwounds on it, set it up, and played both of my killer jazz licks. The nut is awful and will get changed next time I have a tools on guitars day, and the saddles too, they are pretty terrible. All in all, really well put together, no flaws in the sateen sorta matte finish. Frets are nice, hardware is all good, even the crummy machines aren't too crummy, I don't think I'll be changing them until they break. Pickups are '57 Classics which are in two of my Gibsons, I've used them long time now. Great guitar, 850 delivered with a case. If you are thinking about one go get it, much nicer than I thought it would be, and I tried really hard to not like the one in the store I played. Epiphone won!

1751.jpg

1753.jpg

1755.jpg

Man I do NOT know how to use a camera.

rct

Congrats, RCT, HNGD! [thumbup]

Well, nuts on Epis are different, but what's awful about it? Just curious. Don't have any trouble with Epi saddles, too.

Slots on the nut are just too deep and not wide enough for the 10's. I'll probably end up just running a file through them and be done with it. It is a tad high too, but it's intonated just fine. The saddles are just deeply grooved, but they are polished down in the slots. Just a tad sloopy, some false starts on them. Not really all that bad, and I'll probably forget about both in about a month.

rct

Slots on the nut are just too deep and not wide enough for the 10's. I'll probably end up just running a file through them and be done with it. It is a tad high too, but it's intonated just fine. The saddles are just deeply grooved, but they are polished down in the slots. Just a tad sloopy, some false starts on them. Not really all that bad, and I'll probably forget about both in about a month.

rct

My best wishes it works out fine for you in the end. [thumbup]

It is the same matte finish. Satin. Something like that.

rct

Thanks for letting me know that is on nice 175 you have there enjoy it. I have a 2010 ES175 i like it a lot but i like the looks of the new one . I bet the tone is great on yours i think less clear is better for sound.

Archived