Gibson Brands Forums

I know...I know ...it is not a Gibson ...but wanted to share

nodehopper

Between OneWilyFool and myself......we are turning this into the UMGF. Well...not really because all you are much nicer ....

I just wanted to share with my friends here my new guitar. A Martin 000-15S. If Gibson made something comparable I would have bought Gibson. But this is sort of a one of a kind unique model by Martin. Please don't kick me from the Forum if I have gone over the line fraternizing with the Enemy so to say.

I just added a bone saddle and nut .....(just regular bone not from any specific maker ...LOL !!!) and I did go Hog Wild (forgive the pun) and put a nice set of Waverly Tuners on it. Really nice all around warm sound and good Guitar for finger style Blues.

000_15S_front.jpg

000_15S_Front2.jpg

000_15S_Back.jpg

000_15S_headstock.jpg

000_15S_tuners.jpg

Ain't nobody kickin' nobody off nothin' for their "other possessions". I'm in negotiations for a 1975 Giannini Craviola 12 string so I'm dirtier than most.

2ahscg5.jpg

there's a 6 string version of one of these available locally. i don't know anything about them. share some insight?

thx

I shall once I get it. It's about 200 miles away and the guy is willing to meet me halfway. It appears to be in very good condition but the bridge is tipped forward. Could be a weak or failed bridge plate. Fact is he only wants $200 for it so I think I should grab it and flip it if nothing else (once repaired of course).

Great guitar nodehopper,

I have sold a couple of guitars that I "really" regret selling. One of them is a 00-15, the other is a Southern Jumbo, RW, 42 reissue.

Having acquired, an AJ short scale, I'm wanting to get another 00-15.

I think the 15 series is really good. (all models)

Nice looking 000-15S. The Waverly's with Snakewood Buttons look very sweet. I used to have one of these Guitars but I sold it to get my Gibson, Nick Lucas depth, L-00 Blues King. I miss that Martin once in awhile but when I pull out the L-00, those thoughts go away eusa_angel.gif

I didn't like the look of the Satin finish on my 000-15S so I took some 0000 Steel Wool to it to knock down the finish and then buffed in about 5 applications of McGuairs Mirro Glaze. The Guitar really had a nice gloss finish once the job was complete. It was a lot of work but very much worth the effort. I think the Mahogany they use on these Guitars is too pretty to be trapped in a Satin Finish.

A lot of the 000-15S's I see these days are Sapele but yours looks to be all Hog.

Thanks Pickax....I keep debating with myself about polishing her up. I peeked under the pickguard and there was a suntan line so the pickguard stays. If it had come off I was figuring I would polish her, but with the pickguard on I may just leave it be. I just think trying to mask the pickguard would be a pain ....along with polish getting into that crevice and never getting it off.

I agree I think mine is hog. I have heard very good things about Sapele and I don't think it really makes a difference....but in my heart the Mahogany just seems more traditional and I am glad that mine is probably hog. I think I got the hog because I bought from a very reputable Martin store (5th String In Sacramento) where the owner regularly requests small custom runs of Martins for his store. I think the better Martin dealers get the best stock which is why I think he had a Mahogany one in store.

Thanks Paul ......I will take your lesson to heart and I won't sell mine.

I just removed the Pickguard (very easy to do) when I was buffing the Guitar. When I was finished, I added a Greven Pickguard as it looked much nicer than the stock guard IMO.

If you have added the Waverly's, you need to take the extra step and go for the buffing and Greven Guard. The Mahogany will look sooooo nice when you are finished. :-k

Good tip on pulling off the old and finishing with a new Greven pick guard......of course all that polishing sounds like work.

I think I will play it some and see if I get inspired to polish it in the near future.

A lot of work????? I'm sure your RIGHT hand won't tire out.....give it a shot....

• 2 weeks later...

Just added some new Bridge pins to go with the bone saddle. Got these from www.guitarsaddles.com and went with the Faux Tortis inlay to go with the warm brown of the mahogany. Sorry if I am going overboard....but I do love my new guit-box and my new custom touches!

000_15S_pins.jpg

Hey....those look really cool. Who did you buy the saddle from? Did you sand the saddle to height by yourself? Are you going to change the picguard???? Looking good...

The saddle is just a plain bone from Stew-Mac that I shaped and fit. I had my local Luthier double check my intonation last time I had it in and he approved.

I really like the Greven Fire Stripe Pick Guards. First off I am not sure how that would look on the Hog top. Secondly I haven't been able to find the Fire Stripe from Greven where it is easy to order. I guess I can just contact him directly and order a small sheet, but I didn't see details on how to place an order with him on his site.

Anybody got a good link to buy Greven Fire Stripe Pick Guard material ????

Archived