Gibson Brands Forums

Sound- J-45 vs Hummingbird

jgwoods

These two seem quite similar to me- same top, back and side woods, same scale, different shape and bling.

Can anyone tell me the difference in sound/tone that comes from round shoulder vs square shoulder?

If you happen to have both, or play both often what would make you pick one over the other?

I've got a few slope shoulders in various woods and a TV Hummingbird. The Bird is mellow and balanced. It has less headroom. (which can be cool for overdriven acoustic Keef songs). My slopes tend to be a little crisper and gutsy in the mids, but still capable of sweetness. A bit more versatile.

I love my particular Bird to death, but as a generality I gotta go with the slope.

I've got a few slope shoulders in various woods and a TV Hummingbird. The Bird is mellow and balanced. It has less headroom. (which can be cool for overdriven acoustic Keef songs). My slopes tend to be a little crisper and gutsy in the mids' date=' but still capable of sweetness. A bit more versatile.

I love my particular Bird to death, but as a generality I gotta go with the slope.

[/quote']

And a couple more things- do you find one more comfortable to play than the other?

Is the width at the waist the same?

Of all the guitars I have played, these two have the best overall sound.

The J45 seems to have a touch more bottom end, but the bird is warmer, more complex, is louder string for string, and more versatile for my taste......... No one will ever regret buying either. At some point, I'll get me a J45.

These two seem quite similar to me- same top' date=' back and side woods, same scale, different shape and bling.

Can anyone tell me the difference in sound/tone that comes from round shoulder vs square shoulder?

If you happen to have both, or play both often what would make you pick one over the other?[/quote']

Well....I've played each for a total of 5 minutes and I'm no expert so take this accordingly. I agree that the J-45 is more gutsy and versatile. I thought it was louder too though. Overall it reminded me a bit of my J-100, it had that thump in a much smaller sounding package. The bird was more delicate and mid-rangey I thought, at least fingerpicked. I didnt get into any heavy strumming with either. I found the J-45 more comfortable but comfort is very personal and takes more than 5 minutes to determine. I have to go back and play both some more, which I will do soon. Both were suuuweet.

The J-45 I played was a Historic, and I still havent figured out exactly what that means...

Most folks would find the j45 more comfy, unless you are, like, 6'5' --Bird is even boxier than a Martin D. Also, j45 has a smaller top area, so should be easier to get the top moving, especially if you fingerpick. Re tone, the Birds is a great strum/chords box; it woofs, whereas the J45 barks. But the 45 a better all-rounder.

Hi jgwoods,

I had a J45 (regular one, with the orange label inside, pre-MC era) and for me it had too much trebbles and the bass strings were not loud enough.

Switched to a MC HB and couldn't be happier: not so trebbly, bassier, more balanced, more confortable (for me, the frets in the J45 were higher, so I had "difficulties" in sliding chords...).

Most people will tell you to grab both and try them. In the end, it's just a matter of taste.

If you can't try them, go to youtube. There you can find lots of videos with people playing both guitars. It will not be the same as trying them by yourself, but it's better than nothing!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

AL

Edit: Chech this other thread for more info: http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=9081

despite both being hog dreads, they are very different instruments. I have owned two of each, the best sounding of the lot being a 1996 'Early' model J45, which I eventually sold to forum member Sitric's nephew. My current Bird is close behind though tonally, and will open up like a dream in a year or two as it is barely 1yr old at the moment.

Generally, the '45 is a forthright, loud, mid-y instrument, whereas the Bird is more complex, quieter and slightly softer in tone. The Bird is an incredible recording guitar-in fact, it is the most recorded acoustic guitar of all time, believe it or not! It is perfect for recording live in the studio whilt laying down vocals simultaneously as it isn't a tremendously loud guitar, and when it was designed, it was voiced by Gibson so as to not feature frequencies that interfered or clashed with those of the human voice...it is pretty much the ultimate guitar for vocal accompaniment.

The J45 is arguably the better solo instrument, though. You will struggle to go wrong with either, though.

Last weekend I went shopping, thinking I was looking for a J-45, or something even smaller. I'm 5'5" with short arms.

I played every J-45 in the store for hours and had picked one out when I decided to take down the bird, "just to see".

I came home with it.

I think the descriptions of "more complex sounding" are good. It's tone is harp like. Very different from the J-45.

When I sat it in my lap it was as if we were old friends. I didn't mind having to stretch a little to reach.

All I want to do now is sit in the den and play.

It's an 08 True Vintage model.

6' 0" here. The 'bird is perfectly comfortable for me. I don't even think of it as larger. However, I do have long arms, hands, and fingers. Not as tall as the other guys above, but I can palm a basketball off the dribble. So I may have more wingspan than the average 6-footer.

I'm 5'7" and love my Super Jumbo. I dont think smaller people should shy away away from the Bird or any instrument without trying em, although large people may (may) find them more comfy in general. I think the shape of the bird is less comfy, but the size didnt bother me. I cant wait to try it for more than 5 minutes.

Archived