Gibson Brands Forums

What's up with this J45?

ServantOfGod

When I first saw that Gibson made a J45 in goldtop I said: wow! that's cool!. But when I saw this video I was really disappointed with the tone of this. It sounds very muddy. Is it possible that they used very old strings? By the comments on this video Gibson should never do this guitar again.

Apparently none of the J45 they have done in different colors has been accepted. I own a j45 in vintage cherry and the sound is nothing like the guitar in this video. Mine is heard stellar!

Remember that anything recorded and posted on line likely sounds nothing like what it does in person.

Man, ain't that the truth. My crappy laptop speakers are no gauge of what any guitar I might be considering sounds like. ooh, put a up a sound clip so's i kin listen to it on my transistor radio! please… waste of time. Show me the pictures but audio? forget it...

I think a crappy sound system will do more damage than old strings...Unless they were coated with years of peanut butter and jelly fingerprints. I actually Never Pay Any Attention to sound clips intending to represent the sound of Any Guitar. Unless they are professional quality, commercially produced products, or places like Music Villa. To me, it is as futile as accepting someones description of how the guitar 'feels' when played. "Like Buttah." "Like barbed wire". I think you can assume a J45 is going to be pretty good, regardless of the color it is painted. But - most folks do not go for the Pelham Blue, brown, cobra burst, reds, etc. I think the traditional sunburst is too iconic.

That is Tony P with the standard Music Villa setup, so it should be a pretty good recording. Maybe I'm just distracted by the aesthetics of the guitar--which I don't care for-- but the guitar does seem a little dull in the bottom end.

You really need a straight A-B against something like a J-45 TV to see if this is a real difference, or merely a perception colored by the influence of being face-to-face with a goldtop. It works on a Les Paul, but not on a J-45 for me.

For some reason, I dig color on electrics--my ES-335 is cherry red--but am wary of them on traditional acoustics.

I wonder how much paint affects the tone, volume, etc., of a guitar???? Maybe the color coat is really thin, covered by regular thickness of laquer?

I think so, but people don't like it. I wonder why they still buying sunburst colors like the regular J45 and Hummingbird....

Archived