Gibson Brands Forums

new years eve. .. any joy in it anymore ?

blindboygrunt

I mentioned that I miss gigging on new years eve on a thread and BK suggested a thread of its own.

I can still enjoy myself, but it seems pale when the memories of watching it from behind a row of mics and songs kicks in.

I don't have any particular story just a blurred mixup of women dancing , too much alcohol and general revelry for us 5 or 6 to watch while we played our favourite songs . It is ,undoubtedly, the best way to see out the year. AND you get more money than usual.

cider spilt on a keyboard kinda ruined one night .. but then there's always the girl who dances too close and falls backward over the monitor speaker to cheer us all up again.

never gets old that one :D

let's hear some of your tales ...

No guitar content, but I remember one -took my high school sweetheart to Times Square, because she wanted to go. She broke up with me the following week. But, a couple of years later, also New Years Eve, home getting over bronchitis and the phone rings at midnight - it was my college girlfriend who decided to go out with some one else. Turned out he actually was a jerk, and she wanted me to come pick her up. It was a night / morning of "firsts"!

Used to gig on New Year's Eve a lot. But that was decades ago.

I had one New Year's Eve that was so freakin' great that all others would just seem boring. I think it was 1971. No gig but it started with a concert at Town Hall - Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis. Afterwards we drifted over to Times Square. Only time I ever made that scene

Last night - I stayed home and watched "Hard Day's Night" followed by "Gimme Shelter."

I have some juicy stories, BBG, but I have been advised by my lawyer to remain silent to protect the.....troublemakers, the generally huffy and the other guitar player who is not talking to me anyway....yeah the one who yells at cops and wants a fight......

But NYE without playing somewhere is the most boring thing a guitarist can do, finished off by watching fireworks on the tv. Sorry, there is a worse option - involving in laws.....

BluesKing777.

Archived