Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie welcome post

Nossit

Hey guys I'm new here so I figured I'd introduce myself in this thread. I'm a 28 year old math teacher who's been playing nothing but power chords since high school. Even though my favorite band is still Metallica I feel like I'm maturing in my music taste (Tom Petty, Aerosmith, VH etc.). I'm learning much more technical things now than power chords. I started a School of Rock club at my school and the students love it. Most of the students are troubled but now they are asking for tutoring to meet the 2.0 GPA limit I put on the club. We played My Immortal and Show Me How To Live. It was a huge hit. It was the first time I was on stage with my guitar but I'm used to playing in front of people since I've was lead trumpet for 8 years in school. Since I'm one of the only guitarists, I wanted to get something better to play than the Squire Strat HSS my grandpa bought me in an amp pack a decade ago. I bought this g400 pro and my talent has sky rocketed compared to when I played that Squire. It fits me perfectly and is very easy to play. I've been wanting a telecaster but idk if I'd buy now that I see how much I enjoy the Gibson kind of things.

... And no my hair doesn't always look like that. It was a test run for what I'm going to do for our concerts. The more you show you care, the more the students buy into it.

imagejpg3_zps1b08d476.jpg

imagejpg4_zps71d9e11a.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9b1f3088.jpg

imagejpg1_zps5b4f1f1a.jpg

Yea it gives them some guidance but it also lets them just get out all the feelings. I know I sound like Dr. Phill but after a whole week of being told to be quiet, it's nice to see them let it all out. Not only are we just using musicians but we are also teaching kids how to run the PA, let students draw band art for posters, and make movies to project behind the band. We had old black and white clips from the movie Frankenstein for Audioslave's "Show Me How To Live"

It's just a lot of fun for all of us.

Welcome to the forum, Nossit! You,sir, have my ultimate respect! Teachers like you are hard to find. My wife was such a teacher. I know it takes a lot of work and dedication to do what you do.

Love that guitar! I have one exactly like it! SG's are meant to be cherry!

Play well, Sir, and keep on keeping on with what you have started! It will be a huge benefit to your students now and later!

Welcome again!

Pete

Welcome Nossit. Good to hear of the work you're doing there, the world needs more like you. Now if you can get this lot here to face front and pay attention... and the bunch on the back row are Australians...[biggrin]

I started a School of Rock club at my school and the students love it. Most of the students are troubled but now they are asking for tutoring to meet the 2.0 GPA limit I put on the club.

Oh, the unintended consequences!

Since I'm one of the only guitarists, I wanted to get something better to play than the Squire Strat HSS my grandpa bought me in an amp pack a decade ago. I bought this g400 pro....

Looks just like Jack's in the movie. I'm not sure if that consequence was unintended, but it sure worked out well! That club was a heck of a good idea!

Now, about that anti-de Sitter/conformal field theory..... ;)

Oh, the unintended consequences!

Looks just like Jack's in the movie. I'm not sure if that consequence was unintended, but it sure worked out well! That club was a heck of a good idea!

Now, about that anti-de Sitter/conformal field theory..... ;)

I actually didn't notice that until you pointed it out. That's crazy. Now maybe we can play Zachs song lol.

I never realized how hard it was to find clean rock music until now. If you guys have any suggestions for songs I'd really appreciate it. Keep in mind it's kids so I don't want to cover Steve Vai or something too difficult but I would like it to be challenging so they learn something.

Welcome...Good at ya for what you are doing with the young ones...

Hope you keep the Squier...they are basically a good guitar, they just need some 'dressing up' :-)I love my SGs too but you can't get an SG to sound like a Strat or vice- versa.

Welcome...Good at ya for what you are doing with the young ones...

Hope you keep the Squier...they are basically a good guitar, they just need some 'dressing up' :-)I love my SGs too but you can't get an SG to sound like a Strat or vice- versa.

I'll never get rid of it. My grandpa bought it for me when I was in high school. What dressing up are you talking about? The squier just doesn't have that twangy sound I wanted from a Fender.

I also just have a hard time playing it compared to the g400.

The squier just doesn't have that twangy sound I wanted from a Fender.

I also just have a hard time playing it compared to the g400.

A strat will lose its 'twang' with a humbucker in the bridge. The quality of pickups makes a huge difference as well. For the money it's worth getting Fender Custom Shop pickups, 54's will give you the most vintage twang. I have these in my Squier. You will need a replacement pickguard, but these are easy to find. The other popular mod for cheaper Fenders is to change out the cast metal tremolo block for a cold-rolled steel block. These are available from various places, Guitarfetish have cheap ones, (steel but I don't now if 'cold-rolled') just make sure you get one that says 'import' and fits Squiers. Over here in the UK there's a chap on ebay makes them himself from cold-rolled steel, I guess you would probably find the same in the US, and Callaham are the company who seemed to start this off a few years ago, high quality but more expensive.

In terms of playability it sounds like your Squier needs a set-up. If you haven't ever felt before-and-after a pro set-up you will be amazed at the difference.

A set-up, new pickups and trem block, and you will have a guitar that plays and sounds as good as anything you ever come across, short of paying big money.

1420794652[/url]' post='1612667']

A strat will lose its 'twang' with a humbucker in the bridge. The quality of pickups makes a huge difference as well. For the money it's worth getting Fender Custom Shop pickups, 54's will give you the most vintage twang. I have these in my Squier. You will need a replacement pickguard, but these are easy to find. The other popular mod for cheaper Fenders is to change out the cast metal tremolo block for a cold-rolled steel block. These are available from various places, Guitarfetish have cheap ones, (steel but I don't now if 'cold-rolled') just make sure you get one that says 'import' and fits Squiers. Over here in the UK there's a chap on ebay makes them himself from cold-rolled steel, I guess you would probably find the same in the US, and Callaham are the company who seemed to start this off a few years ago, high quality but more expensive.

In terms of playability it sounds like your Squier needs a set-up. If you haven't ever felt before-and-after a pro set-up you will be amazed at the difference.

A set-up, new pickups and trem block, and you will have a guitar that plays and sounds as good as anything you ever come across, short of paying big money.

Nossit....this gentlemen said all I was going to say and more.

I might be wrong but it feels as if the width of the neck is smaller than the sg. To I accidentally mute other strings when I play the squier so idk if its worth it doing all that work. Idk though maybe it's me.

I might be wrong but it feels as if the width of the neck is smaller than the sg. To I accidentally mute other strings when I play the squier so idk if its worth it doing all that work. Idk though maybe it's me.

I could be wrong, but I do not think so. My MIM Strat has a narrower neck at the nut than do my Epiphones. I think the Strat neck width is 1 5/8 instead of 1 13/16.

I could be wrong, but I do not think so. My MIM Strat has a narrower neck at the nut than do my Epiphones. I think the Strat neck width is 1 5/8 instead of 1 13/16.

If that's the case I'd be shocked because for whatever reason I can play the heck out of this g400 compared to the squire. I'm going to try my coworkers MIM STrat next week and I'll tell you what I think.

If that's the case I'd be shocked because for whatever reason I can play the heck out of this g400 compared to the squire. I'm going to try my coworkers MIM STrat next week and I'll tell you what I think.

My across the street neighbor has a Squier Strat and he says the neck on my MIM Strat is wider than his. Still, let us know what you find!

Welcome, newbie here also. Wicked G400! Exactly what I'm thinking of getting. How's the action on it? A lot of people complain on the neck tanking on you unless you have a nice strap. I'm on the fence on getting a G400 Pro or an Epi LP Standard. Limited on colors (G400 only in red, LP in ebony) and models due to being left handed. Would love a "lefty" Sheraton. Happy strumming!

Archived