Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Quilt vs Modern Classic--not as good for vocals?

Jesse_Dylan

I've had the good fortune to play both a Hummingbird Modern Classic and a Hummingbird Quilt. Trouble is, one was in London and one was in North Dakota, so I couldn't really A/B them.

The differences to me on paper, other than aesthetics, seems to be obviously mahogany vs. maple for the back/sides and a "round" neck profile for the Quilt (very comfy) vs. "slim taper" for the Modern Classic.

As far as sound, what should I be hearing different? The maple sounded way better than I would have thought, much warmer than I would have expected. Blew me away with raw power. It was not too bright, either. Fingerpicked great, too. Really, really nice guitar. However, my memories of the Modern Classic have faded, so I can't accurately compare. Right now I can think of nothing other than the Quilt I played a few hours ago and plan to play again tomorrow!

One thing that attracts me to the Hummingbird is that it was designed as a vocal accompaniment instrument. I have always thought mahogany-bodied guitars were great for accompanying vocals. Having a maple body, do we lose some of that, I wonder?

I've had the good fortune to play both a Hummingbird Modern Classic and a Hummingbird Quilt. Trouble is, one was in London and one was in North Dakota, so I couldn't really A/B them.

The differences to me on paper, other than aesthetics, seems to be obviously mahogany vs. maple for the back/sides and a "round" neck profile for the Quilt (very comfy) vs. "slim taper" for the Modern Classic.

As far as sound, what should I be hearing different? The maple sounded way better than I would have thought, much warmer than I would have expected. Blew me away with raw power. It was not too bright, either. Fingerpicked great, too. Really, really nice guitar. However, my memories of the Modern Classic have faded, so I can't accurately compare. Right now I can think of nothing other than the Quilt I played a few hours ago and plan to play again tomorrow!

One thing that attracts me to the Hummingbird is that it was designed as a vocal accompaniment instrument. I have always thought mahogany-bodied guitars were great for accompanying vocals. Having a maple body, do we lose some of that, I wonder?

In my opinion yes. I own the Mahogany Hummingbird....icing on the cake for vocals. I find the maple a bit too bright and shrill for my taste.

I don't know if it was because it had dead strings or what, but man oh man, this Quilt I played was amazing. Not shrill at all. The bass really had a whump to it. I did not try singing with it, however. :) Would have felt a little weird starting to sing all of a sudden in the store there while everyone was watching me and nodding at the guitar ha.

I listened to a bunch of YouTube videos of the 2014 Hummingbird Quilt, and none of them sounded the same or as good as the one I played. Go figure.

I was originally attracted to the Hummingbird for it's vocal accompaniment, though, and as much as I love this Quilted one, I am leery of messing with the formula. (Not that I can afford it anyway.)

Played the Hummingbird Quilt 2014 again today. I would expect the maple back/sides to give it less bass, but it definitely has bass and is really powerful. I would not call it bright at all, either. It also does not sound like mahogany.

I really wish I could A/B it with a mahogany Modern Classic. I'm in agony here. I feel like there's no way to tell. Maybe I'll pass this one up, drive all the way to Bozeman to trade in my gear for a Modern Classic, and think, gee, I liked the Quilt 2014 better.

Of course, I still have not tried singing with it. It might be the best-sounding guitar in the world, but the objective was to get one I really liked singing with. My Martins already sound fantastic, and I like singing with them, but Hummingbirds were designed for singing. But were the maple ones? Hmmmmm.

Going to play it again tomorrow, too. Funny how I can somehow "torture" myself with good things! Never have been very good at making choices... ;) I am developing a relationship with this guitar store at least. Don't know if I'll ever buy anything there...!

My Martins already sound fantastic, and I like singing with them, but Hummingbirds were designed for singing. But were the maple ones? Hmmmmm.

To be honest, don't get lost in the 'sing with/not sing with labyrinth', , , it's not the way forward.

Rather learn to use your vocal a little louder and play slightly withheld if necessary.

Look at all the folkies through the centuries in the real world out there.

They picked up the right 6-string and sang their songs, , , and many of those were loud Martin dreads - SLAM.

The focus must be on the guitar and how you vibe with it. Sound - Feel (remember it can be set exactly to your personal needs) Looks.

Can you sense it in your soul - again and again, meaning every time you revisit the store, , , then it's probably yours.

I sincerely hope you stay high on the 'Quilt'. Can imagine it being fantastic - my maple squares are.

They are both long-scale Gibsons and very powerful. It wouldn't hurt to dampen them a bit by a 24.75 neck, which the Polecastro-tests of the quilted maple Birds confirm.

I'm sure you saw them already - and thus can A/B via him as he also plays Modern Classic (Std) Hummingbirds.

And how about bold Jarvis. . .

Your description of the quilted maple sounds like how I would describe my Modern Classic with medium strings I've put on it. It,was,always warm and dry but with the mediums it has a powerful bass. I think results will vary some with each individual Hummingbird . I don't think you could go wrong with the Quilted Maple it sounds like you found a good one. You may also find a Modern Classic that will blow you away you may even find the Modern Classic neck to be more comfortable than you thoughtwink.gif .... Did you ask what they want for the Quilted Maple and if they would discount it any.

If you do decide the guitar is for you, something you can always do is "bring the cash to the table". You tell the salesman or owner exactly what you're willing to pay or even better have the cash on hand. The worst they can do is say no. Cash talks :)

To be honest, don't get lost in the 'sing with/not sing with labyrinth', , , it's not the way forward.

Rather learn to use your vocal a little louder and play slightly withheld if necessary.

Look at all the folkies through the centuries in the real world out there.

They picked up the right 6-string and sang their songs, , , and many of those were loud Martin dreads - SLAM.

The focus must be on the guitar and how you vibe with it. Sound - Feel (remember it can be set exactly to your personal needs) Looks.

Can you sense it in your soul - again and again, meaning every time you revisit the store, , , then it's probably yours.

I sincerely hope you stay high on the 'Quilt'. Can imagine it being fantastic - my maple squares are.

They are both long-scale Gibsons and very powerful. It wouldn't hurt to dampen them a bit by a 24.75 neck, which the Polecastro-tests of the quilted maple Birds confirm.

I'm sure you saw them already - and thus can A/B via him as he also plays Modern Classic (Std) Hummingbirds.

And how about bold Jarvis. . .

I hear you. I feel the same. Actually, learning to play with a really heavy, thick pick is one of the best things I've ever done. It really allows me to play dynamically. I actually like singing with loud guitars and really prefer that to quiet guitars. There is nothing like trying to sing loud with a quiet guitar (and I can't really help but sing very loud most of the time--not operatic by any means, just loud...). For me, it just doesn't work. My Martins are more than loud enough, though. But sometimes it's nice to be able to hammer away and still be able to sing without howling. I've found with my D-18, which is mahogany, I can relax a bit more, even if I play loud. I have to assume that's something to do with the D-18's mahogany being a more "fundamental" sound than my D-28's rosewood, but I don't know. And it is great to sing with a loud guitar like my M-36, but there is something so nice about a Hummingbird. I have plenty of loud, powerful guitars, so I don't want to buy the Quilt just because it's loud, powerful and sounds great. It would have to be because I prefer it to the mahogany Hummingbirds.

I agree, the short scale really seems to do something very nice for a maple-bodied square. I think that is part of the secret. It is seriously a great guitar.

I have watched all the Polecastro and Jarvis vids multiple times, and the Wildwood Guitars ones as well. :) To be honest, I would not have expected to like the Quilt so much. Based on the videos it sounds good but did not capture me. However, playing it, definitely captured me.

The Quilt is a little gaudy for my tastes. I would want to replace the gold tuners, but beyond that, I think the quilted maple is just a little too flamboyant. I know, sounds odd hearing someone interested in a Hummingbird call something flamboyant! I do like that the top finish is true, red cherry, but I don't mind the more muted cherry of the Modern Classic either and like each for what they are.

I suppose I'm hoping that when I go to Bozeman, a mahogany Hummingbird captures me the way this one has.

Your description of the quilted maple sounds like how I would describe my Modern Classic with medium strings I've put on it. It,was,always warm and dry but with the mediums it has a powerful bass. I think results will vary some with each individual Hummingbird . I don't think you could go wrong with the Quilted Maple it sounds like you found a good one. You may also find a Modern Classic that will blow you away you may even find the Modern Classic neck to be more comfortable than you thoughtwink.gif .... Did you ask what they want for the Quilted Maple and if they would discount it any.

Yes, it never ceases to amaze me how finding the right strings can be so important. They want $3700 for the Quilt 2014, which is nearly twice what I've ever paid for a guitar (and in some cases more than twice--my D-18 was $1500, D-28 $1800). The only way I'd be able to even afford it would be if they would take all my stuff I want to trade in, plus my 00-18V. Frankly, I was hoping to trade all that in and actual come away with a few hundred dollars. I don't have the money to pay into it beyond my trades, so it might be moot.

If you do decide the guitar is for you, something you can always do is "bring the cash to the table". You tell the salesman or owner exactly what you're willing to pay or even better have the cash on hand. The worst they can do is say no. Cash talks :)

Unfortunately, I have no cash, just trades. :) He did say that I should feel free to bring all my trades in, though.

Another thought I had was that if he would accept all my trades in trade for the Quilt 2014 (it would be like 15 items traded for one item! now that's downsizing!), I could then bring it with me to Bozeman, A/B it with mahogany Hummingbirds at Music Villa, and trade it for a mahogany one if that's what I ended up deciding I preferred, and hopefully coming away with a little cash (or maybe one of those new Martin dreadnought jr.s in addition to the Hummingbird). That is a pretty weird plan though!

It would definitely be easier to trade all my junk in here rather than drive it the ten hours to Bozeman, though.

I sure do self-complicate my life.

Hi Jesse,

From your description and thoughts on the Hummingbird Quilt it seems that you are more than pleased at the tone and playability of that instrument. Many on the forum will attest to have let the one get away while looking for something better. This has happened to me too many times to count! Some stores really like trades and others not so much. Ultimately cash will give you the most leverage in making a deal that you are happy with. Have you looked at Reverb.com and tried to sell any of the 15 items on there? This is a great and simple way to sell used gear and get the most return.

I wish you luck in your guitar hunt even though it sounds like it should be over? I could see you maybe having a maple Hummingbird and a Standard in your collection one day.

Jeremy

Hi Jesse,

From your description and thoughts on the Hummingbird Quilt it seems that you are more than pleased at the tone and playability of that instrument. Many on the forum will attest to have let the one get away while looking for something better. This has happened to me too many times to count! Some stores really like trades and others not so much. Ultimately cash will give you the most leverage in making a deal that you are happy with. Have you looked at Reverb.com and tried to sell any of the 15 items on there? This is a great and simple way to sell used gear and get the most return.

I wish you luck in your guitar hunt even though it sounds like it should be over? I could see you maybe having a maple Hummingbird and a Standard in your collection one day.

Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy! Did not expect to see a staff member on here. That Hummingbird Quilt 2014 is amazing. I am tempted to say it's the best guitar I've ever played, but I must temper my throes of passion; it still has to be in the top ten, maybe even top five.

I do think I have my heard set on mahogany, though. I spent hours last night (when I should have been sleeping) watching and re-watching videos on the internet. I think the Quilt 2014 sounds even better in person than in videos, and I really like how it sounds to me as the player. Some guitars sound great to the audience but different to the player. I think with the Quilt, you get the full effect as the player. But at least from comparing every video I could find, while they are very different, I liked the mahogany Modern Classic as much or better (that is saying something!).

I know I should just sell my stuff myself, as I'd probably get twice as much out of it all, but I absolutely had packing and shipping guitars. I will check out Reverb and give it some thought though.

I totally agree--if I had the money, I would just have both a Modern Classic and this Quilt 2014. I bought a Martin D-18 and D-28 in the same fashion, the plan being to only keep one, but that didn't work--kept both! I have considered adding my D-18 to the trade-in/sell mix, since I think the Hummingbird will get more play, but I love that D-18. Having a maple Hummingbird would give me an excuse to keep all three. I have just become too much of a dirty guitar hoarder and need to simplify.

Jeremy, maybe see you in Bozeman... :)

Went and played it again today. I also played a J-29 rosewood (I thought these were walnut?), a J-45 standard... I think that was all. They also had an LG-2 which I will play next time! Missed even seeing it this time.

I had hoped that I would like the Quilt 2014 less this time. My hopes were answered. The initial HOLY MOLY factor wore off slightly and I was able to see it realistically rather than under the haze of extreme lust. :) It is indeed a wonderful guitar. Playing the J-45 alongside it also helped me. I saw that, yes, as awesome as it sounds, I do prefer mahogany to maple. I do still know I want the square-shoulder vs. slope-shoulder, though.

The J-45 and J-29 were both awesome guitars in their own right. One of the store fellows remarked that he thought that J-45 was the best sounding guitar in the entire store. I could see why. Gibson is really building great guitars these days, and I really have to congratulate them on the J-29, J-35 and J-15, as well as their use of walnut, which is a great tonewood.

But yes, I still want a square-shoulder, and I am 95% sure I want it to be mahogany-bodied. I am still wanting a Hummingbird, but I have luckily decided I will probably let this Quilt pass. It is a wonderful guitar but too rich for my blood, and too pretty.

I did manage to sing with it today. :) I had a friend there who kept asking me to please sing like old times. So, just to experiment, I played a loud song and did not hold back, and it's true. Even in maple, the Hummingbird, with it's shorter scale, must be braced such that it really is designed to sit under the vocals. It is a LOUD guitar, and I really went at it. I sang loud, too, but I was not straining. Even in maple, it is a really wonderful singing guitar. I can't imagine any human voice it would not compliment, whether an operatic one or a quiet one. Okay, so if you're really quiet, you would not be able to hit it full steam. :)

I guess to summarize: Hummingbird has got it, regardless of wood, as a singing guitar, and Jesse, personally, is still surprised how great maple is but wants the good old mahogany. Also, those Gibson slope-shoulders are awesome, awesome guitars. I would say the J-45 I played is the equal of the Hummingbird, despite a $1200 price difference, and the J-29 probably was, too. They are all fantastic. Great job, Gibson Montana.

I feel bad that I will not be buying my Gibson at this local store, but I have established a relationship, and they don't mind me coming in to play things. They seem to enjoy it. I will have to start buying strings, capos and tuners there in return for their generous hospitality. (And maybe someday their LG-2 American Eagle... They are also getting in some of the new Martin Dreadnought Jr's which might be hard to pass up...)

1421291389[/url]' post='1615196']

Went and played it again today. I also played a J-29 rosewood (I thought these were walnut?), a J-45 standard... I think that was all. They also had an LG-2 which I will play next time! Missed even seeing it this time.

I had hoped that I would like the Quilt 2014 less this time. My hopes were answered. The initial HOLY MOLY factor wore off slightly and I was able to see it realistically rather than under the haze of extreme lust. :) It is indeed a wonderful guitar. Playing the J-45 alongside it also helped me. I saw that, yes, as awesome as it sounds, I do prefer mahogany to maple. I do still know I want the square-shoulder vs. slope-shoulder, though.

The J-45 and J-29 were both awesome guitars in their own right. One of the store fellows remarked that he thought that J-45 was the best sounding guitar in the entire store. I could see why. Gibson is really building great guitars these days, and I really have to congratulate them on the J-29, J-35 and J-15, as well as their use of walnut, which is a great tonewood.

But yes, I still want a square-shoulder, and I am 95% sure I want it to be mahogany-bodied. I am still wanting a Hummingbird, but I have luckily decided I will probably let this Quilt pass. It is a wonderful guitar but too rich for my blood, and too pretty.

I did manage to sing with it today. :) I had a friend there who kept asking me to please sing like old times. So, just to experiment, I played a loud song and did not hold back, and it's true. Even in maple, the Hummingbird, with it's shorter scale, must be braced such that it really is designed to sit under the vocals. It is a LOUD guitar, and I really went at it. I sang loud, too, but I was not straining. Even in maple, it is a really wonderful singing guitar. I can't imagine any human voice it would not compliment, whether an operatic one or a quiet one. Okay, so if you're really quiet, you would not be able to hit it full steam. :)

I guess to summarize: Hummingbird has got it, regardless of wood, as a singing guitar, and Jesse, personally, is still surprised how great maple is but wants the good old mahogany. Also, those Gibson slope-shoulders are awesome, awesome guitars. I would say the J-45 I played is the equal of the Hummingbird, despite a $1200 price difference, and the J-29 probably was, too. They are all fantastic. Great job, Gibson Montana.

I feel bad that I will not be buying my Gibson at this local store, but I have established a relationship, and they don't mind me coming in to play things. They seem to enjoy it. I will have to start buying strings, capos and tuners there in return for their generous hospitality. (And maybe someday their LG-2 American Eagle... They are also getting in some of the new Martin Dreadnought Jr's which might be hard to pass up...)

It's good you got the issue of the quilted maple settled. I still stand behind the Modern Classic Hummingbird I just am thrilled I ended up with it. I played a J29 more than a few times last fall and I was really impressed with it almost bought but the Hummingbird deal came up as I almost said yes to it. I'm not a great singer but I recorded a Christmas CD for my daughters class at her school with the Bird and it records so good. I had many more compliment's about the guitar than I did my voice. That is understandable ..hope it works out for you.

It's good you got the issue of the quilted maple settled. I still stand behind the Modern Classic Hummingbird I just am thrilled I ended up with it. I played a J29 more than a few times last fall and I was really impressed with it almost bought but the Hummingbird deal came up as I almost said yes to it. I'm not a great singer but I recorded a Christmas CD for my daughters class at her school with the Bird and it records so good. I had many more compliment's about the guitar than I did my voice. That is understandable ..hope it works out for you.

Yes, I can imagine it does record really well!!

Was the J-29 you played rosewood also? I don't know why I thought they were walnut. I guess I was thinking of the J-15. The J-29 is the standard rosewood slope I guess, at least in the 2014 line-up. Gibson really has a nice selection of slope-shoulders now with the J-15, J-29, J-35 and J-45. They're great, and I can sure see what people like about them and why you almost grabbed a J-29! They don't have as many square-shoulders, though, so I guess that's why I only have one to sample here. I know I like the classic Gibson square-shouldered mahogany sound. Sure was agonizing trying to choose. Not that I could afford this one anyway... :)

Can you remember the J-29 well enough to comment on the neck versus your Hummingbird? To me, the J-29 felt like it had a less rounded neck, flatter. I sure didn't mind it, but I liked the "round" shape of the Hummingbird Quilt best. I was fine with all three Gibsons that I played, though. That makes me happy.

I remember the J29 neck pretty well . To me it was close to the Hummingbird but a slight bit fuller in fact I thought it was the same as the J35 neck . There is a little difference to me in the feel of there necks but there so very close. I actually had the J29 home when I got the Hummingbird so I played them both . I sent the J29 back I told you where I got my Bird I think the J29 is still pictured on the web page. If I had the money I would have kept them both. Gibson is making some great acoustics.

I think you might be right about that. Maybe the J-45 standard, J-29 and J-35 (and presumably J-15) all share the same neck. That would make sense. The Hummingbird Quilt 2014 at least has a different profile. They all worked for me, though I preferred the Hummingbird I think. Very comfy.

Can't stop thinking (still) about that darn Quilt 2014, especially after someone here on the forum suggested the store might be willing to give me a great deal being as it's a 2014. Then again, since they are not getting any 2015s, maybe that rule doesn't apply.

Anyway, I can't wait to go in and play it again soon. I have been obsessively listening to Youtube videos, trying to A/B the Hummingbird Quilt 2014 and Hummingbird Modern Classic virtually. I really don't know how I'll ever decide without being to A/B in person, and it doesn't seem like that's possible. Unless I somehow get a great deal on it, then bring it to Music Villa with me this summer to A/B there and trade it if I prefer the mahogany. That's a little silly though (and would ruin the trip a bit--can't leave a guitar in a hot car on a long trip and sure can't leave it in a motel room!).

Archived