Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie NGD 2013 60's Tribute

Chuck S

Just wanted to introduce myself. Just bought my first Gibson Guitar. I wrangled a lot over what to get based on a lot of posts here in the SG site. Went to my Local Guitar Center and tried out several. Tried the Special, a 120th Edition and a few others hanging on the wall, plus a used Special edition. I wasn't to keen on some of the newer editions, especially the special. Seemed like the finish they used on the neck made it very sticky and restricted a lot of speed up and down the neck. Went back a few times and made up my mind I wanted an SG with a natural finish especially in the neck area. I really wanted a Sunburst finish, but I got an email from Sam Ash for a deal on a 70's tribute and a 60's tribute. That led me to here to try and figure out which one was best. I finally decided on the 60's edition since the BB1 and BB2 were supposedly the closes to the original (if I'm wrong on that don't pound me)and all the positive things I read in regards to the neck radius and comfort ability. I know a lot of that is purest and taste. I did not get the new tuning system. I've been playing now for about 1 year and a half on two Fender Strats I own. Gotta say I was really concerned because of some of the Bad Ju ju I read about fit and finish especially with sharp frets. I was absolutely thrilled to find this guitar in great condition. The intonation was right on, the strings at a height I like and man the sound. Doesn't matter what Amp mode I put it on with my Fender Mustang III...it sounds great. I appreciate all ya'lls advice and look forward to learning more and playing more. I won't post a picture, it is Chocolate brown and there are plenty of pics that do it justice on this site already. What a steal for $599.00. If your thinking about one...get it now. One other thing, I found it interesting the neck seems longer than my fenders, didn't think two or three frets would make that much of a difference and the higher part of the neck seems really much easier to reach than on my fenders. Thanks for the help in picking out my 2013 60's Tribute SG! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Welcome Chuck & congrats on the new Gibson. I just scored the chocolate brown 70's tribute one and these guitars are a great buy for that price. I hope it brings you years of enjoyment and will most definitely make you a better player. More playing time will naturally ensure that. Enjoy & welcome aboard! [thumbup]

How do you tell? I've seen some of the discussion, but where do you look for the seams?

O.K I see it now, I traced the straight lines in the finish to the heel of the guitar and I see three distinct changes in wood...so i'd say a three piece...

Archived