Gibson Brands Forums

Eric Clapton - I Shot the Sheriff

4Hayden

Loved that, 4Hayden.

Hadn't seen it before so thanks very much for posting!

[thumbup]

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be the version I remembered watching, as a teenager who had just bought his first guitar, way back in '77. Can it really be 38 years ago?!?!....................[scared]

I don't want to derail the thread but it's interesting to compare it with the one I have known all these years so I'll post a link for those who might not be familiar with the earlier clip.

I thought the newer version was much more in keeping with the spirit of the original Marley track than the one which was my introduction to Eric's interpretation of the track.

Incidentally this is very probably the performance that convinced me that I wanted a pre-CBS Strat and a Music Man amp....

Oddly enough I recorded the original TV broadcast (which was an Old Grey Whistle Test; "Jubilee Tuesday" special one-man show) on a C90 'Compact Cassette' (which I still have). It was unusual for the OGWT to film an actual concert; normally the bands played in a small, empty TV studio.

I still listened to it very frequently until a few years back when I managed to buy the performance on DVD

"I Shot the Sheriff" - Eric Clapton; take 2.

http://www.youtube....h?v=jooqtlN1Wz8

P.

Loved that, 4Hayden.

Hadn't seen it before so thanks very much for posting!

[thumbup]

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be the version I remembered watching, as a teenager who had just bought his first guitar, way back in '77. Can it really be 38 years ago?!?!....................[scared]

I don't want to derail the thread but it's interesting to compare it with the one I have known all these years so I'll post a link for those who might not be familiar with the earlier clip.

I thought the newer version was much more in keeping with the spirit of the original Marley track than the one which was my introduction to Eric's interpretation of the track.

Incidentally this is very probably the performance that convinced me that I wanted a pre-CBS Strat and a Music Man amp....

Oddly enough I recorded the original TV broadcast (which was an Old Grey Whistle Test; "Jubilee Tuesday" special one-man show) on a C90 'Compact Cassette' (which I still have). It was unusual for the OGWT to film an actual concert; normally the bands played in a small, empty TV studio.

I still listened to it very frequently until a few years back when I managed to buy the performance on DVD

"I Shot the Sheriff" - Eric Clapton; take 2.

http://www.youtube....h?v=jooqtlN1Wz8

P.

I had not seen this version either pip that's the reason I posted it, hope you enjoyed it. I did

4H

Well, at least HE still can! Some of us, don't have the option, anymore. [crying]

[biggrin]

CB

Last I checked hair doesn't have a thing to do with playing a guitar ,guess hair is left over from the old hair bands or Greg Allman types lol

Old guys trying to rock long hair kill me.

I kinda think Clapton probably rocked long hair before you were born. That should give him the right. He has it short now anyway.

I recall being dumbfounded when this came out. Clapton was a premier blues guitarist. What a change of direction. And IMO kinda of the beginning of a downward slide for him when he largely abandoned what his fans loved in favor of other genres. I don't think he had another really "hit" album until "Unplugged". Although IMO the 1980 live blues "Just One Night" is one of the greatest blues albums ever made.

I kinda think Clapton probably rocked long hair before you were born. That should give him the right. He has it short now anyway.

I recall being dumbfounded when this came out. Clapton was a premier blues guitarist. What a change of direction. And IMO kinda of the beginning of a downward slide for him when he largely abandoned what his fans loved in favor of other genres. I don't think he had another really "hit" album until "Unplugged". Although IMO the 1980 live blues "Just One Night" is one of the greatest blues albums ever made.

Ummmmm Slowhand?

...hope you enjoyed it. I did...

You can be assured that I did.

...IMO kinda of the beginning of a downward slide for him when he largely abandoned what his fans loved in favor of other genres. I don't think he had another really "hit" album until "Unplugged". Although IMO the 1980 live blues "Just One Night" is one of the greatest blues albums ever made.

I can see where you are coming from, Fatstrat, but I'm more than happy he tried those other styles.

Whilst he might have seemed to stray from the path of 'Pure Blues' (whatever that means) I think some of the later albums are more enjoyable as regards music to listen to goes.

This subject has come up before and I gave it a little thought at the time.

Much as I love the 'Beano' and 'Layla...' is one of my all-time-favourite albums if I was asked to choose an album just to listen to I still prefer his 'J.J. Cale - inspired' (for want of a better description) output; the likes of Slowhand (as Cookie mentioned), 461, No Reason to Cry and even Backless and Another Ticket as 'Music' albums. In fact the only ones I don't enjoy are the three he made for a different record company (Warner Bros.) in '83, '85 & '86. I believed WB advised him to adopt a more "USA-Commercial approach" which, ultimately, didn't seem to suit him.

In terms of 'Hit' albums before 'Unplugged' goes; 461, Slowhand, August and Journeyman all made top-3 in either the UK or the USA on release (although only 461 made #1). No fewer than seven of these 'interim' albums went on to be either Gold or Platinum (and some Multi-Platinum) -sellers.

Odd that you mention 'Just One night'.

Whilst I was going through my old paperwork last week I found the concert programme I bought for that tour when he played in Edinburgh. Albert Lee as his side-man. Great gig.

Philip.

I would take One In Every Crowd over all of his other not Dominos work. The last four on that record some of the best stuff he ever wrote and arranged.

For the I gotta have some EC blooz, EC Was Here is all that is needed.

rct

I would take One In Every Crowd over all of his other not Dominos work. The last four on that record some of the best stuff he ever wrote and arranged.

For the I gotta have some EC blooz, EC Was Here is all that is needed.

rct

[thumbup]

+1 on "...Crowd". The only tasteless thing on the album was his shirt on the rear cover. Fortunately the '58 Ex makes up for this sartorial lapse of taste.

The sleeve-liner reproduction of one of his pen'n'ink sketches has, for some odd reason, always been ingrained in my psyche since first I saw it.

And in the "I've Said It Before But I'll Bloody-Well Say It Again!" camp if I were asked to choose a Blues Album I'd take 'From the Cradle' over anything (post Dominos).

Philip.

[thumbup]

+1 on "...Crowd". The only tasteless thing on the album was his shirt on the rear cover. Fortunately the '58 Ex makes up for this sartorial lapse of taste.

The sleeve-liner reproduction of one of his pen'n'ink sketches has, for some odd reason, always been ingrained in my psyche since first I saw it.

And in the "I've Said It Before But I'll Bloody-Well Say It Again!" camp if I were asked to choose a Blues Album I'd take 'From the Cradle' over anything (post Dominos).

Philip.

Good to know there's another Eric Clapton fan on here Philip

Archived