Gibson Brands Forums

You know, there hasn't been a closed down thread since..

onewilyfool

My Grandpa died and left me an old Gibson. I'm not interested in selling it but I want expert opinions on what it's worth. Pay no attention to the Goodwill price stickers all over it, my Grandpa was quite the kidder, God rest his soul. I sure miss him. He used to bounce me on his knee and tell me how one day I'd own his pride and joy Gibson that he took with him to the war.

So what is it worth?

I bought a new Les Paul Custom from chingchangchong.ch and now one of the pickups won't work. I took it to my local Gibson dealer for warranty service and they threw me out. I demand an apology from Henry, a plane ticket to Nashville, and my pick off the assembly line as a replacement.

And dinner.

ev9ts9.jpg

No, it's because mine is labeled true vintage but the rosette material is comprised of layers 0.040" thick and that thickness was not available until 1950. The original used 0.039" so it is CLEARLY a ripoff.

KsD - The thinner rosette allowed the top to move more freely. I have a sonogram I used (after applying vaseline to the rosette and having a cigarette) that clearly shows a full .002 cm difference. If you extend that based on a 7 sq.ft. face - you get an increase of at least 36 decibels. So, yes, you have been sonically short-sheeted. I assume the rosette in question was on that Les Paul?

Archived