Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Loses Out to PRS

Macmutt

Thanks, not sure if anyone would remember me.

I still surf here, lots of good ideas from here.

I think I may have read about the new Digitech Trio coming out this month from this section before Winter NAMM hit.

I have two of them on order from Sweetwater.

One for me, and one for my youngest son.

I remember you too Corey... welcome back. [biggrin]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guy's.

I added another guitar on Monday of this week.

I got a PRS SE Angelus Standard.

http://www.prsguitars.com/seangelusstandard/

Gosh it plays nice, and it has the built in tuner, three band EQ, notch filter to cut down on feedback, and volume control.

I have not played an acoustic since senior year of high school back in music class of '75.

And those were cheap nylon stringed one.

I figured it was time to get one, and this Angelus Standard gets very great reviews.

Been busy with work (four more years to go to retirement), playing guitars on weekends, exploring the mountains in my rig, and looking forward to camping season coming up soon.

I know the OP of this thread too from the PRS forums.

Guest Farnsbarns

Thanks, not sure if anyone would remember me.

I still surf here, lots of good ideas from here.

I think I may have read about the new Digitech Trio coming out this month from this section before Winter NAMM hit.

I have two of them on order from Sweetwater.

One for me, and one for my youngest son.

I'm glad I opened this thread. Nice to see an old member back in the midst. Hope all is well for you.

Hey Guy's, well a few weeks back when I was pondering whether to get a 2015 Les Paul standard or a 2015 PRS Custom 22, I just could not make up my mind.

Since I wanted a solid body Les Paul (No Chambering or weight relief) with a new 2015 wider slim taper neck and burst bucker pro pickups, and no Geforce tuning system, I thought I would contact Gibson and ask the custom shop to alter their 2015 traditional model to suit my specs.

I offered $5000 for them to merely change the neck profile, pickups and leave off the tuning system, and they told me "We're sorry our custom shop is not taking any orders right now, and we don't know when we'll be able to".

Well that made up my mind for me, I then decided to order my new PRS Custom 22 and get a guitar with specs I actually want for my thousands of dollars.....and guess what? I've had the PRS for weeks now, and I can honestly say the sound and craftsmanship blows away anything Gibson has put out and currently puts out for the past 25 years til' today.

I can say that because I have owned Gibson's in the past and they all had some cosmetic or electrical wiring flaw, due to their poor craftsmanship.

I have never owned or played a guitar so beautiful looking and sounding in all my life as I have with this PRS, I was so impressed with it I sent a 5 paragraph thank you email to Paul Reed Smith himself for turning out such a top quality guitar with workmanship that Gibson has seemed to have forgotten all about.

So since they obviously didn't need or want my money, In the end I am so glad they denied me the custom Les Paul, otherwise I might never have found the real superior guitar maker that is Paul Reed Smith, their attention to craftsmanship and detail is amazing, it is flawless and I will own it for the rest of my life.

As for my old Gibson's they and their flaws were sold off years ago.....good riddance Gibson, and if you keep treating all your customers like you did me, then some day you won't have any.

Unfortunately large companies have a tendency to lose a grip upon reality, inflated with greatness, with little understanding of the market and what actually made the company a success; Apple computers, after Steve Jobs left is a perfect example.

For me, I absolutely love the differences between guitar makers, I have a Hamer, a Gibson and a PRS. My PRS is truly a work of art, I'm so passionate about it, aesthetically and as an instrument, but so am I about my other two electrics, my Les Paul is also amazing, and by the way, it's flawless!

Your post made me think about something I've been thinking about for a while now...... while I absolutely love Gibsons, I wonder how their sales will do in the coming years.

While your love-affair with Gibson may be over, many who are reading this are Gibson-crazy...... and why? My feeling is that we spent our formative years listening to amazing artists who played Gibsons..... over three decades....... BB King, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Peter Green, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Mark Feld, Billy Gibbons, Angus Young and Slash with Joe Bonnamassa being perhaps one of the last.......... for Gibson this has been the best advertising a guitar maker could ever dream of...... but what now?

I think if I wasn't bombarded by the music these artists created..... being born later.... I would have been influenced by different artists..... who may be playing different brands of guitar..... ??? If I was starting to play guitar today, I would surely buy a PRS as my first guitar! Their quality control standards are consistently high, they make beautiful looking and sounding instruments (without plastic tuners and holograms) which are competitively-priced and I think in the last few years they have grown out of the dentist's guitar image, and gained true recognition as professional instruments of choice.

Gibson seem to have forgotten that the Les Paul is an icon of electric guitars, slapping ugly plastic tuning things and a hologram on the headstock as an option is one thing, but as a take it or leave it addition...... it's simply madness! I want to buy another Les Paul, but I have to look at second hand models because I refuse to buy 2015 model... !

Gibson, please make these an option, and please, not for Traditionals..... these are supposed to be solid body Les Paul's without any frills or extras added. Innovation is needed, in my opinion, the 25" scale is a good option, the operative word here is 'option', please have respect for the customers who wish to buy your amazing guitars, give them options!

Hmm, my wife listens to my rants and just politely agrees with me. I'm sure she's listening to Fleetwood Mac songs in her head while I'm talking. Can't blame her considering the moron she married!

I've said this before but I can find a flaw in every Gibson I've owned or played (minor stuff like filing marks, paint bleeds, etc.). I can't say the same about a PRS. They are absolutely flawless. My tech says that Gibson and Fender are a pain to deal with, while PRS and Taylor are the best. But I love the sound of my Gibsons and my PRS. If I really, really, really had to choose though, I would pick my PRS over a Les Paul, but I'd probably pick my 339 over all of them.

Friend of mine bought a Taylor and the neck warped. Then read that they cure their necks too quickly, while i do not know if that is true i do know my friend will never buy a taylor again. Despite his horror story tho, if i ever find a Taylor that has a nice sound id take a chance, tho i can honestly say, the J-200 was the best guitar ive ever played, i even liked it more than a Martin d-41. One thing i have noticed about prs on craigslist is they tend to sit for long periods of time while les pauls sell pretty quickly. Also, i played an Epiphone black beauty for the same price as a Santana prs and it blew it away tonewise, not even close, and that is Epiphone.

Archived