Gibson Brands Forums

So Martins have problems too

JuanCarlosVejar

I have had absolutely no problems with any of my Martins. My D41 Special has two year old strings and I don't think I've had to retune it since then.

I've got more Gibsons than Martins and have had problems with only one of the new ones and their service department was very responsive

Martin is not immune…..I saw an Eric Claptom model in GC that had a twisted neck and needed a neck reset…AND IT WAS BRAND NEW!!!! I pointed it out to the manager…it was still on the wall when i went back three weeks later…..sigh…..but fit and finish were perfect!!!

The company that doesn't have occasional problems with wood moving doesn't exist. I'm amazed that ANY guitars survive many Winters and Summers without failing somewhere. You take a bunch of thin, dry wood, glue it together, and put constant movement and stress through tuning and de tuning. It's just amazing that they hold up as well as they do. I guess that's why guitar building is an art. If You aren't an artist, it will crack and split apart and look like heck. I'm a finish carpenter, and I've thought about building one. My only problem is that I would work on it for six months, and it probably wouldn't look and sound as good as one of those $75 Gibsons at BestBuy.

Climate sure has a alot to do with Guitar issues.. to dry, to cold, To Humid, To hot ,, alot can make a Guitar thats Good... Bad.. I had bought a brand New Taylor 614 quite some time ago... I put a ontex sound Humidity pad in the sound hole thinking it would be safe.. and had the Guitar in the case.. once every two weeks check it make sure it was good.. as I did and do with all my guitars.. Not sure what happened.. but the Nice New Taylor came out of its coffin for its two week check all to find out .. it was a skeleton. Dry as a bone. sound hole area sunk in.. Belly bowed up.. . Humidifier pad still damp. Im not sure what they build those at.. but it must of been wet when I got it.. and I do know it was all to dry here..

Martin is not immune…..I saw an Eric Claptom model in GC that had a twisted neck and needed a neck reset…AND IT WAS BRABD NEW!!!!

That there sounds like AUTHENTICITY to me. If a Martin doesn't need a neck-reset, it just somehow doesn't seem like a real Martin to me.

That's a good thing. Did it sound great?

That there sounds like AUTHENTICITY to me. If a Martin doesn't need a neck-reset, it just somehow doesn't seem like a real Martin to me.

That's a good thing. Did it sound great?

It sounded pretty good for the first 6 frets……then it was pretty much unplayable….

I've rarely seen a Martin from the standard series and above with an issue of significance. The older ones sometimes needed the setup tweaked but even that seems to be more consistent nowadays. However, there has to be an occasional guitar with wood issues, with any brand.

The latest casualty is a 2013 '31 D-28 Authentic. Up until today the only known reported back separations were from a small group of 2014 '37 d-28 Authentics. I have a 2013 '41 D-28 Authentic and am a bit concerned especially after hearing of a similar 2013 model.

Archived